1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

QI Receiver for an iPhone that works in a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aforkosh, Mar 28, 2016.

1. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  2. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a couple of, admittedly, very minor issues with using a USB cable in the Prius.

The first is that my cable sticking out of the bottom of the iPhone 6 Plus makes the phone too big to put in the littlle spot for it down there. This is such a minor complaint but it bothers me.

The other issue is that on the iphone when I have it connected to the USB it tries to send the audio through the USB and the only other audio choice I have is the connected bluetooth. I normally drive with the XM playing and Waze running on my phone, I can't have both if the USB is connected. It's probably an iphone issue, or more likely a user issue but I haven't seen a solution to it short of disconnecting the bluetooth but then I don't get to use the hands free calling. This is probably easily fixed buy purchasing a cigarette lighter adapter but it seems silly to buy a wired charger when I already bought the wireless charger in the car.

RCO likes this.
  3. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! I ordered this based on your review on Amazon and here.

4. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have an iPhone 6 Plus and was looking for a good Qi case, when I found out that it wouldn't work in the 2016 Toyota Prius Four Touring because the phone was too big to fit in the charger area. I am trying to understand how you can actually charge your 6 Plus since you can't lay it flat in that area, since it is made for a smaller phone. How did you get this case to work? Pictures from your car, while the car is not moving, would be helpful. I want to order the case, but pictures speak a thousand words. I would be appreciative if you could tell or show me how you make it work. Thanks

mary-s-a likes this.
  5. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    UniQi is alleged to work well.

6. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Did you get the case yet and does the Qi case work inside the qi charger for iPhone 6 plus or 6s plus?

iPhone ?

#26 dfine1966, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  7. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Before I start, just to be clear, I have an iphone 6 Plus. I bought the BEZALEL Qi Wireless Charging Reciever Phone case for iPhone 6 Plus for $18.95 on Amazon.

Yes I did get the case and it worked in the garage. Seems that the qi receiver (I know nothing about this tech so forgive me if I use the wrong terms) is near the bottom of the case. Since the iPhone 6 Plus does not lay flat on the qi charger in the Prius I need to have it so the bottom edge of the phone (near the home button) is down on the charger, the top part of the phone sits raised up on the trim. The phone sits nicely there but if I set it so the top edge is down (home button edge up on the trim) it won't charge. So I drove to Best Buy (about 12 miles). It worked all of the way to Best Buy (gained something like 8% battery) so I picked up a Qi charger for my nightstand (Tylt Vu, $30 with everything needed) as I don't want to be messing with unplugging this case and plugging it back in. In my head it seems like these cases could easily accommodate a lightning or micro usb port into the case design, but this one does not and the cable feels flimsy like you can break it if you're always messing with it. The phone charged in the Prius all of the way back to my house from Best Buy. I didn't think I'd be this excited about a qi charger but I really do love it. The Tylt Vu is great for the iphone 6 plus, I think it only puts out 1 amp but that charged my phone from 12% to 100% overnight which is all I really need it to do. Straight from the night stand my phone went into the Prius this morning, it worked, BUT..... two or three times this morning on my commute it went to a flashing amber light. I could easily solve it by picking up the phone and placing it back into the charger, or just turning off the charger then turning it back on. I'm not sure if this is truly something broken, or if it's doing that because the phone was fully charged. My understanding was that if it's fully charged the light should go back to green, but I believe the Qi receiver in the phone has to support that feature which maybe this one doesn't. I believe each time I had that flashing amber was after a heavy braking event so that might be it also. I'll report back after my commute home tonight, but my initial impression is that that this qi case for the iphone 6 plus works, sort of.

Random Rant
    After having a couple of days with the qi charger I don't think I want to live without it now. It's really handy on the nightstand and I think when I get one for my work desk my life will be complete. To make the car charging more reliable my first thought is to get out the dremel and make the 6 plus fit. It really is a disappointment that Toyota made something standard across their lineup that isn't compatible with the current big phones (to be fair I believe that the 6s sold four times as many as the 6s Plus). It'd be forgivable if this was a pre-2014 car, but by 2016 they should have enlarged the area. You don't need a bigger charger, just widen the trim around it, or raise the charging pad so it's flush with the trim. The other disappointment is that the charging pad in the Prius appears to only have one transmitter so it seems to be fairly picky even if you have the appropriate sized phone. The Tylt Vu I bought has three transmitters in it, and it's not on a moving platform. At this point the Qi charger across the Toyota line up just seems like a stupid gimmick Toyota added to cars to give them a feature that will interest you on the sales floor but is poorly designed for the real world. ... Again, I'll commute home tonight when my phone is not at 100% charge and report back.

#27 MrMischief, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    dfine1966 likes this.
  8. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On my commute home my phone charged continuously, no issue with that blinking amber light despite a couple of hard braking events. I suppose further analysis is required, but overall I'm pleased with the way this case is performing with the Prius Qi charger.

RCO and dfine1966 like this.
  9. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I decided to order it for my iPhone 6 plus. Two people giving first hand experience makes it worth trying. Thanks for the review. And if it doesn't work, I will return it.

iPhone ?

10. Joan Kissler

Joan Kissler New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can try the Bezalel Latitude Universal Wireless Charging Case for your Prius.

11. Joan Kissler

Joan Kissler New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

What about using a Bezalel Wireless Charging Receiver Patch then put it in a wireless charging pad.

RCO likes this.
  12. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    After about five days with BEZALEL Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Phone Case for iPhone 6 Plus with 1 Amp Output | 5.5 Inch. It is still working fine on my iPhone 6 plus. It looks like luckily they put the transmitter on the case in the same place as where the Qi pad is in the 2016 Toyota Prius. The only thing I noticed is that the case gets a little warm after charging for a little while. I will keep everyone updated if anything changes about the case and connectivity. Let's see how long it last. Hopefully for a long time.

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.
  13. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Mophie qi juice pack in Apple Store (MFI) work fantastic

RCO likes this.
  14. adecas86

adecas86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    did you ever find a tried and true solution to this? I just recently started leasing the same car and am having the same issue. Don't love using a USB cord, it makes everything a little wonky.

15. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use the Xvida case

Wireless Charging Case iPhone 6/6S

But I use mine with the Xvida receiver as well which is a combo magnet/charge in one.

Seems to work well and gives enough charge to use Waze and still charge, some qi charger pads don't give enough juice to run GPS and charge too.

RCO likes this.
  16. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a little more about my setup, Its the clip mount

Wireless Charging Vent Mount - XVIDA

I took off the vent clip and used sugru to create a firm, yet removable, attachment to the dash, I use it for Waze.

I like the setup because its sturdy for everyday driving, charges at the same time, yet easily removable.

I backed the original kickstarter so I got the stuff slightly cheaper because once you convert to QI, you kinda need QI chargers for home and at the office, so you YMMV

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  17. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I tried a few more cards, but I couldn't get a consistent charge at a rate comparable to the USB port. I did not consider cases because I want to be able to easily gain access to the Lightning port for my home setup and for accessories.

I am pretty satisfied using a 1/2 meter Lightning cable to the USB port. The only difficulty is keeping it out of the front cup holder.

RCO likes this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Matching shades! Super cool. :cool:

bobthejedi and MrMischief like this.
  19. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My bezalel qi charging case for the iphone 6 plus worked 99.9% of the time. Every now and then I'd look down and see a flashing amber light but that seemed to be related to hard braking or very large bumps knocking it off just slightly. I always run waze in the car and it would still charge without issue.

I say "worked" because I just got an iphone 7 plus and need a new case for it. I'm planning on buying a qi receiver and just placing it behind a thin leather case. The downside, for those thinking of upgrading to an iphone 7, is that you cannot use your standard headphones while a qi receiver is connected because both have to connect to the lightening port. So you're either going to have to unplug the qi receiver to plug in your headphones, which leaves the thin wires for the qi receiver exposed and I think I would break them. Or, get bluetooth headphones. I rarely use headphones but when I do they're bluetooth so it's a nonissue for me and I'm glad to see the headphone jack gone.

RCO likes this.
  20. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a cheap qi receiver for my iphone 7 plus off of amazon and it arrived yesterday. I put it behind an apple leather case and it works fine on my home dock and seemed to work fine on my commute in this morning. Sorry I can't link to the exact one right now, my wife ordered gifts from amazon and I'm told to stay off that site until after christmas. I just picked the first search result. I think it was $12 - $15, and had something like 350 reviews with around a 4 star review.

The only issue I saw (luckily before it became an issue) is they want you to plug it in then tape the receiver to the back of your phone. I found that if I pulled it tight I couldn't unplug it, if I left it loose I had stupid slack outside of the case. So i just didn't tape it. I pulled it tight-ish and the case so far is holding it in place. The little connector bit has a bit of a rough edge that catches my finger so I might take a dremel to it tonight to try to smooth it out a bit. The only other issue so far is my phone does not sit level because the slight thickness of the receiver has bulged my case slightly.