1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quackcast

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Nov 16, 2011.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The world really does need more Mark Crislip. Crislip produces Quackcast, a hard-hitting, no-holds-barred, podcast debunking every sort of medical quackery, from acupuncture (double-blind studies demonstrate that sham acupuncture, where no needles are used, is MORE effective than "real" acupuncture) to the psychopaths who spread fear and lies about vaccination, to "energy therapy," homeopathy, and naturopathy.

The podcast is available free from iTunes or Mark's website.

Highly recommended.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great.
    Just what I need..... another podcast to try to find time to listen to! :(

Has he said anything about sound wave treatments for cancer cells??? I caught a snippet about that out there in the ether, and it piqued my curiosity.
    naturally, I haven't had time to look further....

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Looks like a recommendation for a more effective non-therapy.(?)

Hopefully, the double blind study of sham surgery, where no scalpels were used, was totally ineffective (even if vastly more difficult).

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    He's talked about sham surgery. I gather that it's popular in Asia. Of course it's a scam. I have not heard him talk about sound waves for cancer, but I only learned of his podcast and began listening a month or so ago.

Time to listen? How about instead of watching TV? Or if you already listen to podcasts, give this one a listen and see if it's better than the ones you already listen to or not.

I'm just saying this one is excellent and informative.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I only watch about a half hour of TV a day, and it's usually not watching, but rather listening to it in the background.
    I don't have the time or the patience for it.

I have an overabundance of podcasts that I like to listen to. A lot of NPR's stuff is pretty good, although I usually have to counterbalance it with some other material.
    Since I like to read (listen) to books as well, and I have to sleep at least six hours in twenty-four, some of the podcasts go un-listened to.
    If I find myself with a spare slot, I'll give it a listen-to. I'm pretty healthy for my age, and so the medical stuff doesn't really interest me at this point in my life.
    When I get closer to 60, I'm sure that I'll be more motivated to pay attention to all things medical. ;)

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The basic problem with these quackwatch type sites is that they're tossing rocks from a glass house. They are very careful to select targets that they don't recognize as conventional, and totally ignore any abuses by their friends.

There are many conventional treatments that are dangerous, ineffective, and downright deadly. Cancer and vascular disease treatments are driven mostly by financial interests of the vendors, rather than health concerns of the buyers.

One doctor who is trying to fix the medical system from the inside is Dr. Len Saputo. I highly recommend his book A Return to Healing, and his website at DoctorSaputo.com :: Welcome to DoctorSaputo.com! .

From the cover of the book...
    Dr. Saputo is my kind of doctor. He actually does his own reading of the medical research, rather than depending upon drug reps and device manufacturer's seminars. Rather like having a lawyer on your side, instead of a salesman who says he has your best interests at heart.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have to support one aspect of RobH's viewpoint. While there are many quacks looking for financial victims, the present US medical system is completely organized as a financially driven operation for dispensing reimbursable products and procedures. Should it be called quackery when all the TV drug makers use commercials desperately trying to find as many users that they can?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rob: Mark Crislip has no compunctions against debunking other doctors when they do things not consistent with evidence-based medicine.

Evidence, based on peer-reviewed studies, is the operational word. If your Dr. Saputo does not base his practices on EVIDENCE-based medicine, from PEER-REVIEWED studies, then he's just another quack.

EVERYTHING done in a free-market economy is done for profit. A doctor has to get paid or he cannot pay the rent and put food on the table. Religion is primarily a money-making business. But the REAL "dangerous, ineffective, and downright deadly" treatments are the unscientific quackery generally known as "CAM" ("complimentary and alternative medicine') which uses garbage ideas based on nothing but the quack's vivid imagination.

I recommend Mark Crislip's Quackcast precisely because he uses SCIENCE to base his recommendations, and is not afraid to debunk ANYONE who departs from evidence-based medicine, and unfortunately, that includes some doctors.

This guy is good. Rob will not be convinced because he believes that all doctors are in some giant conspiracy to deprive us of 100% safe remedies that cure everything with zero side-effects. For everyone else, Crislip's is one of the best podcasts out there.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Alternative medicine is all about options. All alternative MDs were trained in conventional medicine. In general, they encountered a situation where their training just didn't deliver the results they wanted. And when they discovered a treatment that worked, all of a sudden they found themselves labeled as alternative.

In chapter one of Dr Saputo's book, he tells of his wife suffering an anaphylactic allergic reaction. She had already been extensively evaluated with a number of conventional allergy tests, and the results all came back "normal". Normal perhaps, but still with a serious problem.

One of Dr. Saputo's patients introduced him to an allergy test that he had never heard of. That test identified a number of delayed reaction allergies in his wife. With knowledge of what was causing her reactions, she could avoid the triggers and got well. And Dr. Saputo got branded an alternative doctor for using a test that his colleagues didn't know about.

In chapter three of Dr. Saputo's book, he discusses just how "scientific" medical practice is today. The most damming statement he quotes is "No more than fifteen percent of medical interventions are supported by reliable scientific evidence."

Wow! 85% of medical interventions are not backed up by scientific evidence. Doctors act as if 95% of what they say is based on solid science. If that were true, then looking at alternatives wouldn't be so important. But with the level of arrogant BS, checking on alternatives looks like the prudent thing to do.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No it's not. Alternative medicine is about ignoring science. When a treatment is backed by science, it is no longer "alternative."

Homeopathy is based on the magical concept that substances (which we know as atoms and molecules) have an "essence" that remains behind when there is no longer a single atom or molecule of the substance remaining. Homeopathic treatments are nothing but water or sugar. They have zero benefit. (Except if the problem is low blood sugar, or dehydration.)

Acupuncture has been demonstrated in numerous controlled, double-blind tests, to have no benefit other than that a patient who thinks something was done will sometimes have a nice feeling. But that can be achieved by anything: You don't need to stick needles in them, with the consequent risk of infection.

Herbal medicines are touted by "CAM" practitioners (mane of whom have no medical training!) as safe and effective, in the absence of scientific testing. Such practitioners often claim that there are no side effects, even though everything that has an effect will have a chain of effects, some desirable and others undesirable. Some herbs have quite significant effects, but herbal remedies are sold without any control over the dosage, and many tests have been done showing wide variation in dosage between packages, and even between pills within a single package, since the industry is unregulated. And "alternative" practitioners often sell the remedies they prescribe, which is a clear conflict of interest.

That's just to name three areas of alternative so-called medicine rife with quackery.

Some doctors are incompetent. All practitioners of CAM are frauds.

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know what you mean, but...

Science is expensive. Approval by the FDA is expensive. And both of these have a strong political component. There is very little "pure" science as it relates to medicine, alternative or otherwise.

When a treatment is underwritten by insurance companies and the drugs prescribed are produced by big pharma, then it's no longer alternative.

The effectiveness of medicinal marijuana is backed by scientific fact, but its use is quite alternative indeed.

Maybe semantics getting in the way; the definition of the word 'alternative.'

But in my opinion there is lots more to your idea of science than noble researchers in white coats laboring for the benefit of humanity.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course science is not "noble researchers in white coats laboring for the benefit of humanity," though there are such people. Science is a process, a method. And in the absence of any sort of regulation of "alternative medicines," (an exemption obtained by hard lobbying, at great cost, by HUGE multi-national corporations that market "alternative remedies" -- this is not "big pharma" vs. tiny alternative practioners; "alternative" medicine is BIG business operated by companies as big as "big pharma," and in some cases the SAME corporations) the crap sold as "alternative medicine" has no control over quality, dosage, or contaminants.

At least in the case of marijuana (medical or otherwise) the user can generally tell how potent the sample is. With most "alternative" remedies, you have no way of knowing whether you're getting 1/10 the recommended dose, 10 times the recommended dose, or something other than what's on the label entirely. And all of this has been found to be common.

The very insistence by its practitioners that it remain unregulated, should be a dead give-away that CAM is something to be avoided like the plague.

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you've identified the major determinant of how alternative medicine is identified. It's not science, peer reviewed journal articles, or even university associations of the practitioners. If an insurance company doesn't want to pay for a substance/procedure, then it is classified as experimental as a minimum, and probably alternative.

Dr. Saputo writes about how he was threatened with license suspension by the medical board. The source of the complaint was a new test that he ordered, and expected an insurance company to pay for. The insurance company asked another doctor about the test, and the reply was that he never heard of it. Nobody seemed to care if the test was useful, or if the patient was happy with the results. Several thousand dollars later of legal fees he beat the charges.

A number of doctors I know who practice what may be called alternative medicine do not accept insurance for their services. Anything beyond the lowest common denominator of general practice is just asking for trouble when a 3rd party payer gets involved.

14. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Would a doctor making full use of the Placebo Effect be practicing mainstream or alternative medicine?

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unfortunately, this is not true. Insurance companies nowadays often cover CAM treatments ("Complimentary and Alternative Medicine" = quackery) and the same companies that sell regulated and controlled prescription drugs also sell unregulated "natural" (= quack) remedies.

(Being "natural" is not what makes them quackery. Being untested and unregulated, and poorly controlled if at all as to dosage, is what makes them quackery.)

The bogeyman of "big pharma" is used by CAM practitioners to justify their use of unregulated, uncontrolled, untested treatments, but those treatments often come from big pharma also. Pharmaceutical companies, like auto companies, are in business to make money. And just as Toyota makes both efficient and inefficient vehicles, so "big pharma" makes tested and controlled drugs as well as untested and uncontrolled crap.

The issue is not big pharma. The issue is the science behind a given drug, and whether or not its dosage is properly controlled, which the unregulated CAM treatments are not.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Telling a patient she is getting a drug when in fact you are giving her a placebo is considered unethical. It was not always thus. But it is now.

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Acupuncture has been demonstrated to alleviate certain types of pain and nausea. Unfortunately, like chiropracty, much (most?) of acupuncture is a sham.
    I largely agree with you, but don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

My medical plan, a large non-profit that doesn't use outside insurance companies. It provides acupuncture treatment to control pain if you get a referral from your primary care physician. Acupuncture worked for me to control pain from some nerve damage that occurred during surgery (from being racked up on my side for 6 hours, not cutting damage). I doubt it was placebo effect because I didn't expect it to work. If it was placebo effect and it worked, that's OK too.

A reputable place uses one use disposable needles and cleans the area of needle insertion before inserting the needles. Infection risk if done right is close to zero.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Double-blind studies have shown sham acupuncture to be just as "effective" as "real" acupuncture. IOW, you'd have gotten the same "benefit" from twirling toothpicks against your skin as from needles.

It is good that your acupuncturist uses sterile methods. Sadly, most acupuncturists do not clean the area, and they touch the insertion spot with bare hands.

19. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I still don't think that's considered "ethical". There has always been "drugs" that doctors prescribe that can be obtained over the counter. Whether it was sweet stouts for nursing mothers, drinking orange juice, multivitamins, gargling saline solutions...these are some examples of remedies that a doctor would recommend but are not a FDA/marketed drug. What would be unethical is a doctor telling a patient they are taking a drug when it's a sugar tablet...with every clinical trial that I'm aware of, the doctor does have to inform the patient of what the experimental drug is intended for (and have a huge disclaimer about how it's an even chance that the patient is either receiving the drug or a placebo).

Is your doctor prescribing a placebo? - CNN

As for quack medicine: there has always been charlatans making a buck off the desperate. Some of the infomercials I've seen are for magnetic braclets or diet books that "cure all". I think chiropractors do more harm then any good...as they can contribute to joint problems. At least acupuncturists can't do much harm...and for some it might help with relaxing (and relaxing the mind is a good stress/pain reliever). One example I have is that I still sometimes do this home remedy for headaches I learned while I was a kid (I've found it's usually better for my migraines then many over the counter pain killers): close your eyes and start tugging on your earlobes. Just imagine the pain is going from your head down through your ears towards your earlobes and out towards your hands. It's definitely a mental placebo and I don't think it's doing anything for vasoconstriction of the brain: but it is a good relaxing distraction. There are quite a few holistic groups throughout the world that believe in humorism...but as long as acupuncture is used for general pain problems and not actual cures, then I don't think it's really quackery.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think we are disagreeing here: It is considered unethical to prescribe a placebo. In the past this was not the case.

True, but irrelevant. My doctor has me taking fish oil capsules. Since they are over-the-counter, he didn't write an actual prescription. He just told me to take them, and when asked what meds I am taking, I include them in the list. Same for a low-dose aspirin.

That's exactly what I said.

Correct. In clinical trials the patient must be informed that she may be getting the drug, or may be getting a placebo. If different groups are getting different drugs, the subjects must be informed of that. They must give informed consent to the trial protocols. Only then is it ethical to give a placebo without telling the subjects what they are getting.

True. That's why podcasts like Quackcast are so useful.

I lean toward agreement with you. I have gone to chiropractors. I usually get temporary relief, but the pain is back in half an hour or an hour. The question of chiropractors is clouded, however, by the fact that some of them do not limit themselves to spinal manipulation, and go in for unequivocal quackery; and some make outrageous and false claims about the benefits of spinal manipulation, claiming it cures unrelated conditions. I was once told by a chiropractor that she could cure children's ear infections by manipulating their spines. That person belongs in jail!

Introducing the possibility of infection, when it's been shown that sham acupuncture gives the SAME results, is, IMO harm. When a non-invasive treatment (twirling toothpicks against the skin) gives the SAME outcome, and clearly has no potential for harm, then there is NO justification for inserting needles.

BTW, inserting needles or twirling toothpicks at RANDOM points, has also been shown to be just as "effective" as acupuncture at "accepted" acupuncture points, and different styles of acupuncture have entirely different insertion points, based on different and mutually exclusive "theories" about where the points should be. Further, the acupuncture points commonly used in the U.S. today are of very recent origin. They are NOT the points used in "traditional" Chinese acupuncture.