1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quality in-line AMP gauge using voltage-drop

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by overlap, Aug 23, 2010.

1. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone located and have experience with a very efficient AMP gauge for either High-Voltage, <=310v, and for 60v?

For this AMP gauge I'm after one that is in-line and not inductive.

On the topic of AMP gauges, what brand and type of inductive or otherwise gauges are your favorites?

2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I understand correctly, I think you are looking for something like this:

Shunt, 50 amp, 50 mv Deltec lightweight type

Its a very low value, very precise resistor referred to as a shunt. It will put out a linear voltage of 0-50mV based on a through current of 0-50A in this case. You can then use a properly calibrated analog meter, or something like a DVM to directly observe Amps as a Voltage. The system voltage is not directly relevant, until you reach the dielectric breakdown of the insulating base. EV parts shops are generally a good place to look for these sorts of things and to find folks who know about them for these sorts of applications.

Rob

1 person likes this.
  3. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks much. If I understand, this is what I have been looking for with a clean and easy 1mv equating to 1 AMP and then linearly all the way up to 50mv equating to 50 AMPs, something very straight forward and good quality. I have done lots of searches for shunts and read lots of formulas, but did not find anything that looked this good and calibrated.

As luck / irony would have it, since the initial post I finally hit the point where the DC-DC converter put out enough power to trip the Prius error code which I have read might approximately 3600W. After coming down a long hill, SOC was deep into all green bars and had enough power to drive 60 MPH on the flat with only the electric motor and then the error tripped but after pulling over I think I cleared the error too quickly because all I saw was P0000 but I read something suggesting this may not have been the actual error.

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What kind of DC-DC converter are you using to hit 3600W? Enginer kits are 3000W or 5000W (of course, I know they don't put out that much constantly, as it depends on many factors)