1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quality LEDs for License Plate?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by VicVinegar, Dec 11, 2015.

1. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Noticed one of my license plate lights is out, so I figure if I am going to replace one, I might as well replace both with what "should" be a long lasting LED. Some of the LED posts on here have a couple years on them, so I am wondering if there are any recommendations that are actually built to last? So many just seem like cheap Chinese crap. For these lights, I'm definitely more concerned with longevity than brightness or how cool or warm they are.

Or is my best bet for longevity an OEM bulb? My old Civic had the original bulbs all around when I got rid of it at 13 years old. Of course the fact the Prius lost one bulb in 2.5 years might show they don't make them like they used to.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got tired of those Chinese 5 way emitting led bulbs burning out so began using these many years ago and never had an issue with them, but they cost more: (if you have adblock the link/image won't show up. If that happens search Amazon for "SYLVANIA 168/194/2825 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb")

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Don't mind spending more if they actually last. It is worth a few bucks to not have to take the hatchback apart again. In theory a good LED shouldn't have to be replaced in the time I own the car.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    exLeds offers a complete LED refit, including the bulbs you want, that is really slick. It is periodically on sale 20-30% off list price.

5. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Vleds or retrofit source morimoto leds

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just replaced a license plate bulb, don't recall it being too hard, can barely recall though, lol. Oh yeah: there's a little panel you pry off, and there you are. We had one bulb go out so far. Checked: the cost was $2.40.

Guess it depends on how much night driving (or daylight driving with headlights on) you're doing. And we're low km's too.

7. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the input. And yes, it was not difficult to access them.

Problem is replacing the bulb didn't fix the problem. Awesome. Looking up the part number for the connector now.

Final update, decided to try the connector that was working on the side that wasn't working. That worked fine. Out of curiousity, I plugged in the connector that wasn't working on the other side....now it also works. Back to two working bulbs.

FWIW, I went with the Sylvania. The fact I could pick them up at Autozone and get the job done today was the winning factor.

#7 VicVinegar, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015