1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quality smart key fob shell?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Nate0918, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Nate0918

Nate0918 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently bought my daughter's 07 Prius and am in the process of getting this thing into good shape. The key fobs work but the rubber buttons are damaged. I see tons of shells on Amazon but they look like junk... Any tips on a quality replacement without buying a whole new fob? Thanks!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

If replacing the whole case, then be sure to transfer over the rfid transponder chip ($$) before recycling the old case.

When all is done (or otherwise), you may want to consider a fob protective case cover made out of silicon.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I bought some of the cheap $10 cases with the rubber buttons on eBay Amazon and a few other places I've had no trouble with them I use my SKS silver back on their cheap cases It just slides on and locks of course I use my real key in the slot where it goes on the remote move over the transponder chip and the green board and everything works just like it did hell it all worked with me just holding the green board in my hand and touching the little buttons on it of course that wouldn't be practical. So the cheap cases are no problem as long as they fit together they're an identical replica of the factory part I can't find silver SKS backed remotes inexpensively they're all black so I just use my silver back so that I know this goes with my SKS car not with my '05 non SKS which I left the black on it on the back of the remote I've had no trouble with the cheap cases the plastic seems okay I stepped on them washed them whatever and actually the '09 that I use every day still looks brand new no issues.

4. Nate0918

Nate0918 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great, thanks for the feedback! Good to know the original backs still fit. It seems that on all the aftermarket cases I have seen so far that there is a small hole in the key fob face, to the upper right of the buttons. Any recommendations for one without this hole? I know being picky, but if a case exists without it then I'd rather go with that.

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have the hole in my replacement shell, happens to have a red led visible thru the hole. I think you will find they are all the same, just by looking at the price. $10-15 each.

Don't forget to remove the chip from the old fob.

Buy the version shipped by Amazon, at least you can return if not satisfied with quality.

Attached Files:

#5 alftoy, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  6. Nate0918

Nate0918 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered a set, we'll see how it goes.

7. Armando Zapanta Jr

Armando Zapanta Jr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    i purchased 2 fobs from amazon. since i wanted a hassle free return if they didn't work as described. but i was able to do the chicken dance and now have an extra remote with working sks features. good luck with your purchase.

8. Garen

Garen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought these recently and worked out great