1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quantitative Results of Grid Charge/Discharge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by S Keith, Dec 6, 2015.

1. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes this is correct. I regularly pull the pack to zero volts with the 25W (or a 15W) bulb before charging back up, and they perform excellent afterwords.

MTL_hihy likes this.
  2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    That is my experience. I still have a strong preference for the target voltages, but I'm willing to compromise if convenience demands it. The trip from 185 to 84V seems to take about 7-10 hours, so I try to plan for that.

3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Wouldn't let me update the original post...

UPDATE: 4/28 is here.
    My apologies to the owner as I had intended to have this posted before he made it back home. Dinner prep with the wife took priority... :)

View attachment 109433

Results are still positive, but are notably reduced. Calculated capacity based on Techstream measurements shows 1,474mAh, which is 58.1% SoC based on the 79-40% SoC range of the test.

The good:
    1. Usable capacity is still 59% more than the initial test.
    2. Owner reports 46-50mpg with no effort.
    3. SoC gauge behavior remains "docile" with normal operation between 5-7 bars.
    4. DeltaV is even tighter than the prior test.
    The not good:
    1. Initial current was low. This made the 9.5% approximation way off. Today was particularly mild for end of April in Phoenix, and the owner made a 40 minute trip to do the test. He used the A/C the whole way. I suspect the A/C didn't need to work as hard to maintain the existing temp. Keeping the windows rolled down and demanding fresh air forced the A/C to hit the typical peak at the end of the test.
    2. The "leg" of the SoC curve is more pronounced, but it isn't interfering with normal operation. It does suggest another deep discharge is in order to eliminate more voltage depression.
    3. Battery temp is important. The chart of the first post-reconditioning was actually the second discharge test, which followed yet another force charge. Pack temps were 51-56°C. For today's test, it followed a mostly flat highway trek. Today's temps were 44-46°C. NiMH works very efficiently around 120-130°F, which corresponds to the prior test. Today's 113°F is lower by a significant amount.
    Lessons learned:
    1. Battery temp matters. This needs to be considered when comparing results.
    2. Consistency in pre-test conditions should be maintained and should likely be done from car-cold & immediately following a 12V reset.
    3. The first timed-only test took 6:53 vs. the 8:05 of the test immediately after. This reinforces lesson learned #1 and suggests the logged test may have been slightly inflated due to the battery heating and operating more efficiently.
    4. The tests may have been somewhat inflated due to the fact that very little iteration/computation was being done on the SoC value and was based strictly on voltage limits/current relationships. After 5 weeks of driving, the car likely has a much more realistic estimate of SoC, which is more conservative than the initial.
    While results aren't as favorable as expected, they are still very positive. Car function remains significantly improved. The owner is scheduled to park the car soon as they travel to another region. The car is expected to sit for 3-4 months. Normal precautions such as freshly changed oil, inflated tires and 12V disconnected or on a battery tender will be taken. The plan is to grid charge the car for 12 hours prior to first start, drive for 2-4 weeks and re-test. Results will be posted then.

EDIT: Lesson #2 updated to indicate all testing should be done following a 12V reset.

Steve

jeff652 and Cooljourney like this.
  4. Augustus88

Augustus88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    120-130F is the best temp for NiMH? My car seems to start ignoring the battery when it hits 120F (Won't charge fast or discharge fast)

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, those are definitely not ideal temperatures for the battery (too hot).

Yes 120F (49C) is pretty hot. The Prius will try to protect the battery by not working it too hard if it gets that hot. As another example, for those of us with the EV mode button, it stops working (EV mode denial) when the battery temperature rises to only about 42 or 43C (108F).

You should check that the battery cooling fan near the back seat is working correctly and that neither the duct work or the fan itself is too clogged up with hair and dust. See my pictures of a clogged fan here: Fur and dirt causing major battery problems | Page 2 | PriusChat

BTW. The fan should be running fairly fast by the time the battery hits 120F or more, you definitely should hear it. From memory the fan starts out at very low speed when the battery hits about 39 to 40C (104F) and from there increases the speed as the temperature rises.

#105 uart, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  6. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I said efficient, not best.

"Best" accounts for all characteristics. The car has to balance performance and longevity. The 16A in this test, while good for consistent comparison purposes and more than significant enough to detect issues, is a relatively light load for the car. 20A provide extremely light acceleration in EV mode. Point being, the car isn't going to do much throttling of battery use/regen at 16A even at higher temps.

My experience with running with the interior pulled out differs - fan on, but not max speed . I'll do some logging with Techstream. Here in AZ, 120°F interior temps are just a typical mild day.

7. Augustus88

Augustus88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I've already cleaned out the fan, and I manually control its speed on warmer days to keep the temps below 100 degrees using my ScanGauge. (y) It usually sits around 95F once warmed up all the way.

Good to know that there is a solid difference between the best temperature and the most efficient temperature.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah at first I didn't see where your question came from (now I see where S Keith mentions it).

I think the difference here is that warm temperatures do increase the battery capacity and performance somewhat. This is because a battery relies on chemical reactions and diffusion of ions in an electrolyte, and both of these are enhanced at higher temperatures.

However these same high temperatures are not desirable for battery longevity, and as it turns out, for precisely the same reason. Speeding up chemical reactions also hastens the undesirable side reactions that cause a battery to age. Additionally, if a cell gets too hot it can vent pressure and lose some electrolyte.

#108 uart, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. Jimbo913

Jimbo913 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    May seem like a dumb question but I was shipped the single bulb discharger so I tried making it a double bulb by instalking a 660w capable dual bulb socket adaptor. End result was 200w bulbs blew.

Are the bulbs supposed to be DC bulbs or AC bulbs.

10. jjdemu

jjdemu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I would message him, email or call, seems like it was a simple mistake putting together your kit. The bulbs can be used in AC or DC. Not sure about using the dual socket Adapter with the single bulb version.

The 200watt bulbs I used was these.
    Shop SYLVANIA 200-Watt A21 Medium Base (E-26) Soft White Dimmable Incandescent Light Bulb at Lowes.com

Jimbo913 likes this.
  11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah unfortunately that will not work. Our discharger is wired in series. This is required to spread the battery load over two bulbs instead of just one. It is too much for a single bulb (or two bulbs wired in parallel) and the bulbs will fail.

#111 jeff652, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Jimbo913 likes this.
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeff,

The two bulb discharger is wired in series, at least the one I got was. Was that a typo?

13. Jimbo913

Jimbo913 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question was answered by HA. I can't use the dual adaptor so I need to wait until the HA discharger arrives.

14. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doh! Need more coffee lol. Thanks for the catch, I just fixed the post.

15. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    what is gained by doing 3 cycles of charge discharge? why not just do a full charge for balance, and then discharge deeply all the way down to minimum voltage, i have read here from 17 V to zero, etc. if you stepped it with 200 W then 75 W then 25W, all the way down to 17V or less on the first discharge cycle... are we trying to avoid the weak cells going zero/negative for too long? but if we can go to 17 or less Volts slowly after 3 times , and some have said theres no harm in going to zero, why not just do it the first time?
    i am not doubting that there is a reason, just curious, my garage is not close to my home, high rise condo, so checking in on the batt repeatedly would be a PITA, being able to drop it with the 200Ws quickly , and then put on 25Ws for a few days, would be easier. avoiding multiple cycles would be easier too...

16. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    jimbo, assuming you already did the full charge for balancing up top, you can just use the single 200W discharge for now.
    Guru's, theres nothing wrong with the slower discharge right it would just take longer?
    and you could leave the single 200 W on there until you get to 140 V, then go with a single 50 W instead of two x 25 W.
    i didnt do the math, but slower in the beginning, faster in the middle, same at the end. time might not be that far off of the HA specs. can still get 2 cycles in a weekend and do the 3rd cycle later.

another question: in order to speed up the initial 2X200W discharge, couldnt jimbo start the car, put it in reverse (like we do with the HV battery test) to quickly draw off alot of voltage. then switch to the single 200 W bulb to taper it down to 140V ?? why discharge from 100% 235 V, to 83% 196V, or even 60% 140V so slowly ?
    can he drop it to 140V with the car, and then use the single 50 W bulb to slowly draw it down to the prescribed steps ?

#116 lextoy, May 7, 2016
  17. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    When discharging 168 cells, you reverse the polarity of a lot of them, and it starts well above 168V (1V/cell). Damage is done by reversals once a certain capacity is extracted while in the reversed state. Simply put, the triple cycle helps minimize the potential for cell damage due to capacity extraction during polarity reversal.

25W for a few days would hold a number of cells in the reversed state for a few days. That's pretty risky.

You don't understand series vs. parallel. 2X 25W bulbs in series is like a single 12.5W bulb, not a 50W. 2X 100W in series is like a single 50W.

I fully support using the discharge portion of the test in my sig for reducing discharge time down to 40% SoC.

I used to be very aggressive with my deep discharges at the pack level. I have damaged cells that way. It's likely they were marginal to start with, but it's made me more conservative.

Steve

Jimbo913 and MTL_hihy like this.
  18. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you are correct, my knowledge of series and parallel is limited ! vaguely understand how the wiring would be different but i dont get why 2 25 W bulbs which would be 50W, looks like only 12.5 W to the battery. i am sure it has to do with amps volts and ohms. i really never comprehended how they all interrelated... no need to explain, us newbs should just follow the instructions as written:)
    i thought the point was to put a 2X25W load on the battery, to discharge it more robustly, when in fact the point is to put a 12.5W load on the battery to discharge it more gently.
    can jimbo just use a single 200 W bulb to discharge his prius, and then a single 75W, and a single 25W... it would just take longer?
    or am i missing the point that for the prius a two bulb discharger is required due to the battery load. so any single bulb will be blown... which part of the load, the voltage? standard bulb like 110-120 V, and the prius puts out 235V, is that why the 2 bulbs in series ?
    sorry for the stupid questions. but i find this interesting, and i think the more people understand whats happening, the more they will be apt to get into charging discharging.

additional dumb idea, use 240V bulbs like from europe? then a single bulb would be sufficient.it is very possible i am still off base with my deductions.

#118 lextoy, May 7, 2016
  19. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Single bulbs will likely blow at the higher voltages. Bulbs rated for XX Watts are rated for that power AT 110V. Run them higher, they put out more power than they are rated, and POP! The point of 2X bulbs in series is to reduce the likelihood that they'll pop due to them being run at higher voltages than rated.

Watts is a measure of power... energy released per second. 50W releases 2X the energy every second than a 25W bulb at a given voltage. How? 50W has 1/2 the resistance of 25W. Resistances in series are added. 2X 25W bulbs, which each have 2X the resistance of a 50W bulb now have 4X the resistance of a 50W bulb... like a 50/4 = 12.5W bulb.

IF they were wired in parallel, then you would be correct. Resistances in parallel are computed by 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2. When R1 = R2 it's simple... 2X 25W in parallel would be 1/2 the resistance, so like a 50W bulb.

Jimbo913 likes this.
  20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it is not, the reason is quite different and a matter of practicality. As Keith said, single bulbs will likely blow at the higher voltages, but definitely blow at double the voltage. The reason why dual bulbs are used (in the USA) is another behavior of a series circuit which is that the input voltage is divided across the components, so, in the 2 bulb series circuit we are discussing, each bulb uses 120 V for the total 240 V going in from the battery. This behavior is what allows using USA 110 V rated bulbs so they do not blow. Also of interest is:
    • Current: The current through each individual light is the same as the current throughout the whole circuit. If the current going to the circuit is 0.23 Amps, then the current through each individual light is also 0.23 Amps, not 0.46 Amps as I'm guessing is what you would assume.
    • (As Keith mentioned) The total resistance equals the sum of all the individual “series” resistances.
    These behaviors are what makes the math work (in Keith's post #119) out when considering power (Watts) and voltage.

This is not actually a dumb question.

If you could procure 240 Watt bulbs, then yes you could use a single bulb.

However you need to bear in mind that the wattage of your bulbs will effectively double in order to draw the same current.

A 110 V / 25 W bulb draws ~0.23 Amps;
    A 240 V / 50 W bulb draws ~0.21 Amps.

#120 dolj, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016