1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Queen Size Memory-Foam Mattress Fit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Siward, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was asked to drive 2 hours to transport a queen-sized memory foam mattress. There will be retractable straps to fold the mattress in half. I googled around and only saw a reddit article. It makes me wonder how far forward those front seats are.

Will the Queen-Size memory Foam mattress fit in a regular gen 3 Prius? It can be folded in half with a strap.

#1 Siward, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A tape measure is a more accurate way of answering your question than asking on social media...

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    pulease, the info on corona is 100% accurate on social media so the queen mattress info on social media has to be true also.

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Rephrasing the OP's question: "Anyone in this forum have any experience transporting a queen size mattress?"

Given the taper of the Prius, the wheel wells that stick out, and the weirdness of measuring of folded strapped a mattress, this may be one of those rare questions where an anecdotal response might be better than an analytical approach.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes perhaps in this case... But on FB and PriusChat I'm always annoyed by people interesting in hauling more solid objects who think using a tape measure is harder than posting to social media.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As someone who has worked in the polyurethane industry before, this can be possible;).

But there are factors at play:
    • Thickness of the mattress
    • Grade of foam

We used to "roll some of them to facilitate getting more into a box truck, so it condenses nicely:).

But knowing how think something is that you want to transport would help with next steps(y).

JC91006 likes this.
  7. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    UPDATE: Managed to borrow a SUV to do the job. The queen foam mattress was folded in half with ratcheting straps. Based on the size, it looked like it would have fit.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ordered a Full mattress-in-a-box earlier this year, showed up vacuum-packed on my porch in a box marked Full.

Felt like something was fishy as I lugged it into the house, thinking "if this is 78 pounds, I've been waay too sedentary over the past year". Then I cut open the vacuum bag and the mattress expanded ... into a Queen. Yep, said Queen on the mattress label too.

I decided to keep it, after the vendor agreed to refund enough to cover new sheet sets and lumber for slats the right size. The other option was for them to send someone to pick that one up and donate it to a shelter somewhere, and ship me another one, which just sounded like more overall hassle and opportunities for something else to go wrong.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. EChua5

EChua5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A foam queen mattress fits in the Prius!

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While the vacuum bag they supplied it in was single-use, I remember doing a quick search online and finding that there are heavier, reusable, mattress-size vacuum bags available to buy.

That could open even more options for conveniently moving one around. It really is a lot easier to jockey around when it is vacuumed down to parcel size than when it is a big floppy mattress.