1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Query on Pricing 2012 Prius Two

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jacquescousteau, Mar 30, 2012.

1. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's called capitalism dude. If the dealer can get someone to pay 7k over sticker then kudos to them, and the salesperson. Nobody bats an eyelash when people go pay $700 for an ipad that cost $40 to make, but they will shit themselves if the dealer makes a few hundred bucks selling a $24000 car.

2. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doesn't work that way. You have to be there in person. They will do anything to keep a live one from leaving without buying. They offered me $16K for my Escape Hybrid. Every time I went for the door the sales manager would jump out of his chair raising my trade in ($3K+ in my case), lowering Prius price, lowering lease and adding dealer options.

I think I got good prices for all of them but you have to do it in person and be ready to close the deal. They are not thinking about you and won't get back to you other than a "Hey Joe" automated follow up to...get you back in the showroom.

3. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, kudos to the dealer in making 7k over msrp, while the buyer is labeled a "sucker" and ridiculed for not doing his/her research before hand. I see no problem with this.

Just like the buyer has the option to walk away from the deal, so does the dealer. If a dealer (whether its the salesman or manager) bites on my offer, then I'm gonna assume that he/she/they knows what they are doing for the best of their company. However, if a different dealership is offering what looks to me like the same product with same level of quality service at a lower price, then I'm going with them. That's, as you have mentioned, capitalism.

4. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, but I do think there are a few exceptions.

5. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I totally agree with you, but it gets to a point where you are running around trying to get the "best price", any dealer will beat the other ones price by $100. By the time you get to the point where you are scraping down to the last few bucks, you have wasted more time and gas getting there that it's not worth it. Not to mention by that point you are probably so frustrated that you have ruined the whole experience. When I used to be in auto sales/finance I always tried to make it "fun". If a good dealer engages the customer and establishes a good relationship then a few hundred bucks isn't going to matter.

6. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lol! I agree, going from dealer to dealer for a couple hundred bucks is not worth it, to me at least. I'm talking about more substantial differences in pricing. I tend to contact via email to get a price range so I can know what to expect and minimalize time and effort wasted for both parties. Of course, if a salesman is entertaining and provides a quality experience then he/she gets some brownie points. I walked out of a really good deal once. The appraisal manager had given me the highest offer for my trade in, but the salesman was arrogant and left me waiting at his desk multiple times while he took a couple of smoking breaks. I sometimes regret not jumping on that deal bc of the price, but then I remember that bad service shouldn't be rewarded. True story, even the other salesman told me they didn't like the guy bc he was a jerk lol!

7. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Yeah I hear you on that. I worked with plenty of retard salepeople in my day. It always amazed me when they would actually get a customer and put a deal together. But I guess great minds think alike every now and again.