1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about brakes

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by mannythewalls, Oct 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mannythewalls

mannythewalls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    First time post on here; I apologize if this is done wrong.

My wife says that the brakes are squeaking on the Prius we have (2014 Prius C Model 4). I look online to try and price replacements but all I see are replacements for the front tires; I don't see any for the rear.

Does anyone know what kind of rear brakes this takes? I haven't had a chance to raise the car and look myself, but I'd like to have the parts ready to replace when I do lift it in my garage.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How many miles? At four years old, it may very well not need any parts, just a little TLC.

-Chap

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome! I just learned that the Rear has drum brakes

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Parts catalog reference: Figure 47-06, Rear Drum Brake Wheel Cylinder & Backing Plate.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    First off, thank you for using the correct spelling of Brakes. :D

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hybrids use friction brakes very sparingly, so you may very well not need to replace anything. Squeaking brakes often occur from vibration of the pad against the caliper in certain scenarios. This is why there are either shims or grease or both between the back of the pad and the caliper. Sometimes that anti-squeak stuff gets either dry or deformed and the noise appears. What can be done is re-apply said anti-squeak measures. I use a bit brake/bearing grease (light coat) and that usually does the trick. if the shim needs to be replaced, it can probably be purchased at a parts store or dealer, but may be only available with a new set of pads. The best way is to get down there, take things apart and look. Anything else is just guessing. If brakes on the C are the same as on Gen 2, they are super easy to work on. Just be cautious of the fact that the car can apply brake pressure without your input, even when the car is off (it's a feature, not a bug :)). What I do is insert a block of wood or something that will prevent the brake caliper piston from coming out should the car decide to activate the brakes while the pads are out and you are having a look see. I have not personally had the car active brakes while working on them, but I have heard horror stories. In any case, a simple block of wood or what have you between the caliper piston and outer pad support of the caliper should do the trick.

Rear brakes are drums and I have not even looked at mine yet. I think they are designed to last a long time.

Good luck!

7. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've noticed the brakes on our Gen 2 (with drum brakes) squeak when we are backing up, but not when we are moving forward. Is this also what you are finding? I am guessing this might have something to do with the way the car "dives" toward the ground when brakes are applied (i.e. when you are moving forward and apply the brakes the front end dips, when you are moving backward and apply the brakes the rear of the car dips). Since I consider the rear brakes to be supplemental to the front brakes anyway, I am not going to worry about the squeaking unless I find that the emergency brake is no longer able to hold the car on a hill.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota USA calls for:

1. Visual brake inspection, every 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Except:

2. Full brake inspection, every 30,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.

The latter should entail on the fronts:

Pulling the calipers off the rotors, checking pad thickness, cleaning and relubing all faying points/surfaces, cleaning and relubing the caliper pins, and check of rotor thickness and runout.

And on the rears:

Inspect the shoe thickness drum inside diameter and condition, and relube of the contact points.

You need to use caution due to the car's electronics: disconnect the 12 volt negative cable before starting any disassembly, and when done, before reconnecting, pump the brake pedal multiple times, take up any excess pedal travel.

I don't have Prius c Repair manual info, maybe close to 2nd gen, which similarly has front disc and rear drum setup. Fwiw:

Attached Files:

davecook89t likes this.
  9. mannythewalls

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, thank you all very much! I appreciate this a lot!

I will take a look and let you all know what transpires.

10. mannythewalls

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hello again! Wanted to update you all on the situation.

It turns out that it wasn't the brakes making the noise, it was the rear struts. This is what was causing the squeaking or creaking sounds. The rear passenger tire was balled on both sides but had good treads in the center of it; meaning that it was wobbling from side to side. This was most noticeable at slow speeds.

After replacing both struts (better to do both than just one) and a new tire, total repair was $425 ($350 for struts and $75 for new tire). This was the cost in the Central Valley of CA.

Thanks again everyone; know I know how to do the brakes, when the time comes : )

11. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I have squeaky struts on the rear of my C also. Also the front struts squeak. At least I think the front struts squeak, may be suspension bushings. Anyway, they have squeaked since 2013 (car is a 2012).

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, I guess everyone ignores this. Doesn't seem like dealerships push it either. Anyway, food for thought:

Bottom line, don't conflate brake pad life with the need to inspect the brakes. If you play by the rules you'll have done 2 or 3 brake inspections before the pads need replacement. And when they do, they'll likely be worn evenly, the calipers and rotors will be in good shape, and it'll be just pads that need replacement.

Or, you can ignore the schedule, and then be scratching your head when the mechanics report you've got a frozen caliper.

Or a rear drum brake that's been dragging because the shoe contact points with the backer plate are completely dry.

mannythewalls and joelg1988 like this.