1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about driving coach

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Carol DiPirro, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Carol DiPirro

Carol DiPirro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I was in the research/buying phase I saw a video about a driving coach, some program in the car that guides you when to brake, etc. I'm doing pretty well on my charges but since there aren't many places to charge near me, I'd like to see if I can improve my electric mileage. Does anyone know what I'm asking about, I can't find it? Does anyone use it?

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    PED...Predictive Efficient Drive. Search for that in the manual.

3. Carol DiPirro

Carol DiPirro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, I will. I couldn't remember the official name. Thank you!

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …mmmm, sounds to me a bit like the NannyStatePackage, where there's a light which illuminates when it's time to change gear, another one telling you when to eat, take a dump, remind you to brush your teeth, wipe your bum etc. etc. o_O :eek: :rolleyes:

5. If it's that blue arc in the Eco area that you can use as a reference for how much to accelerate according to local driving conditions, it's "ECO Accelerator Guidance" in page 213 of the regular Prius Prime manual.

If you mean those icons on a map that learn where on a street you frequently press on accelerator or brake, it's called "Predictive efficient drive" and is on pages 213-214 of the Navigation System Owner's Manual (not the same as the Prius Prime manual; however, the similarity of page numbers is a striking coincidence!).

6. Steve C

Steve C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any technical documentation or explanation as to how the "blue arc" AKA ECO Accelerator Guidance is calculated? I know that the car uses information about whether or not I stay within the blue arc to develop my 3 driving scores, but how is the blue bar itself calculated? Which sensors does it use as input and how is the arc calculated. It appears to be somewhat sensitive and dynamic. It almost seems to indicate an increasing grade somehow. I have asked in other groups without good detailed information. Maybe someone in this group might know. Thanks all. Owner of base model 2017 Prime in Wisconsin.

phlack likes this.
  7. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It certainly appears to be grade related and I originally thought that it was the energy necessary to maintain speed at grade, but it appears to be something more than that. specifically I was driving with the flow of traffic yesterday, on a relatively flat grade, and the blue bar was almost all the way up just shy of the power region, but my real energy usage to maintain speed was near the bottom (as a test I made my energy usage equal to the blue bar and the car wanted to accelerate, and to go much higher than the speed limit that the car was reporting). So it's not even directly tied to its' view of grade, speed limit, current velocity and energy usage... there's something else operating in the background.

Now, I suspect Mr Wilson has it already sussed out though...

Steve C likes this.
  8. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Three are several threads here.

And the Toyota video you probably watched.

#8 Mark57, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Tideland Prius likes this.