1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about ethanol free gas

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kc5dlo, Mar 16, 2020.

1. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    First of all, I have only tried the ethanol free fuel once and did not notice any difference at all in mileage. Also, in the area I do the majority of my driving in, ethanol free gas is just not offered.
    My understanding is that 10% ethanol in our fuel is mandated by the EPA. If it is mandated, then how is ethanol free even available in the first place? I also have the understanding that adding the ethanol to the gas is an added expense as it needs to be added at the time it is loaded onto the tanker truck just before delivery to the station and can not be done at the refinery level. At the one station that i just recently saw Ethanol free at, "Murpy", it was 30 cents a gallon more. I have considered getting some of this fuel to use around the house in equipment that is not used as much like the generator and power washer but skeptical if it is actually ethanol free if 10% is cheaper. I am sure some station operators would simply see it as a way to make an extra 30 cents on a gallon of gas.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There’s already a thread about this. Just search the www about btu energy output between e0, e10, e15 & e85.