1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about EV mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Smirv, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This might be a stupid question but would it be possible to say drive in all electric mode (i dont mean ev mode but the grey 1st part of HSI) Without gas. Theoreticaly starting up the prius and driving while constantly regenerating without gas at all.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If the engine is warm enough, you can activate EV before the engine starts. If you stay low in speed the car will run in EV and regenerate when braking but the battery will drain and eventually the engine has to come on. Don't expect to go more than half a mile to a mile like that though. EV is used for shuffling the car around in a parking lot, driveway to street etc and for rare instances where you want to force the engine from coming on. Otherwise, the way it is from Toyota, it is not of much use.

3. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    alright. Now I dont neccesarily mean pushing the EV mode button. I mean just all electric as in the first half of the HSI bar. With that could you drive it incredibly slow and recharge as often as possible say like in an emergency? Also, could it start without gas?

4. HybridHype

HybridHype Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In purposeless driving I managed 3.1miles in battery power only(gas engine not on) in a couple loops around my subdivision. Then the gas engine kicked on. The trick is to start out with EV depressed, build up your speed and at about 20mph disengage the EV button, let your foot off the gas at 24mph and slightly depress gas again. You may get to about 30mph with the right touch and road surface. With a series of rolling hills and rolling stops you will go beyond 1 mile. Have fun.

Battery was at full charge when I started this and the engine was warm.

5. sgm0815

sgm0815 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only problem is motor temperature.

After a cold start the ICE always starts to reach the necessary temp.

If you have a warm ICE, you do not need the EV mode. Just be gentle on the accellerator. You can go up to about 45 mph without the ICE kicking in. Make sure there is no traffic behind you. Accelleration is really slow...

When the battery was completely full (after going downhill) I even reached speeds above 60 mph with no gas going to the ICE.

6. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    interesting. Now when you were doing this did you attempt to recharge the battery?? My question is for mostly impossible driving just wondering about it though. If you were doing what you did and continued to recharge battery as you went would it basically be limitless or have a limit even if you recharged on just battery no ICE?

7. nahtanoj

nahtanoj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i do this regularly. my daily commute the last 5 miles of it is all electric. in normal driving mode just acclerate without crossing the halfway line and the ICE won't come on, on my car, until 47mph. if the engine is warm, and you are going under 47mph, no need for the ICE to run if you mind your right foot.

8. nahtanoj

nahtanoj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you had a drive through up hills and down, you would extend the electric range by charging on the down hills. but you would eventually run out of battery and the ICE will turn on to charge for you. you can not regenerate the same amount of energy used to drive the car.

1 person likes this.
  9. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now, my question is could you CONSISTENTLY do this without the ice. For ex. drive 10 miles on only electric by using the first half of the HSI and constantly recharging by braking, coasting, etc. without the ice ever coming on. Granted, you wouldnt get there very fast but, could you do it?

10. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Alright thats the answer I was looking for, thank you. Could it start with 0 gas if say the temperature outside was warm enough?

11. Ripley44224

Ripley44224 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If memory serves, pre-Gen III Prius would allow this, but Gen III will not. The owner's manual confirms:

5-2. Steps to take in an emergency

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]If the hybrid system still does not start after following the correct starting procedure ([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]→[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]P. 162), confirm the following points:[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]The hybrid system will not start even if you are carrying the correct key.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]One of the following may be the cause of the problem.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]There may not be sufficient fuel in the vehicle’s tank. Refuel the vehicle.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [/FONT]

12. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    not cool

13. lonestar

lonestar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There have been times when I use the EV mode in a certain kind of stop and go rush-hour traffic on a freeway. The amount of regenerative braking is a high percentage of time. In this type I can go a number of miles and maintain a good SOC without automatically turning off the EV mode because the ICE needs to start charging the drive battery. You have to keep the speed down to below 25 mph. This is not purposeless driving because you have to stop because of the frequent stopping of the car in front of you. This EV mode is more useful because, if you can keep the SOC high enough through the braking, you prevent the ICE from turning on while going up some types of inclines. Even while going up certain types of slight inclines, you will see the HSI will go to the right side but the ICE will not turn on. Sometimes the HSD turns the EV mode off, but it really depends upon the amount of braking that you are doing.

You can recharge the HV drive battery either through the brake pedal use or while coasting down hill. You learn to feather the brake in order to maximize the regenerative braking (minimizing friction braking with the pads). What you are doing is transferring the kinetic energy built up directly back into the battery without using the normal brake pads, which lose battery energy and turn the kinetic energy (caused by the battery) into heat.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you drive the right speed, and the outside temp is warm enough, and if the terrain is correct, and the soc is high, and no heat or a/c, you can theoretically drive forever without the ice coming on.:wacko:

15. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See thats what I was wondering. I think thats a good piece of information to know. I wonder what the Ideal temperature would have to be....

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the ICE isn't running, how do you propose to recharge the battery? If you are coasting downhill you can recharge through regenerative braking, but if you only plan to coast downhill you don't need any power at all.

The OP's question sounds like he is looking for some sort of perpetual motion machine, which of course doesn't exist. Did I miss something, or is this really what this thread is about?

Tom

17. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Tom, that's exactly what it sounds like is being proposed to me as well...

You can extend your range driving using techniques etc, but eventually, the ICE will have to run. Period. It consumes more energy to propel the car than the regen system can produce.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep.

Smirv: Consider the source of losses and why the energy is going to have to come from somewhere, in this case w/the ICE running and burning gasoline.

(This may not be a complete list) Aerodynamic drag, friction in the wheel bearings and that of MGs, rolling friction from the tires, and resistance in the battery, wiring, motor windings, inverter and other circuitry causing waste heat. Not to mention that there's a constant draw to power the car even when not in motion. (It's typically at least 1.5 to 2 amps at ~220 volts in my 2nd gen.)

19. sgm0815

sgm0815 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even Death vally in summer is cold for an ICE. Bus as temperature difference is smaller the process of heating engine and catalytic converter takes less time :)

BTW catalytic converters work best at temperatures between 600 and 1500°F.

Martin

20. Smirv

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thats why Im asking. thanks.