1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about head gasket repair ... worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ewood, Nov 4, 2013.

1. ewood

ewood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was told that I need a head gasket repair. I get prices from dealers around $1500 dollars. I drive a 2006 Prius with 152000 miles. They guarantee the work for one year. I read on-line that these things can go frequently once it is a problem.

Not sure to dump the car beofe it becomes a money pit or is it worth it getting it repaired. What are the opinions of the experts?

Thanks, Eric

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (I am no expert)

My understanding is that head gasket issues are most likely cooling system issues, have they identified or fixed what caused the head gasket failure?

SFO likes this.
  3. ewood

ewood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

They did not mention a coolent system issue. I notice that the oil was low. They said that it is starting to drip oil. They did not mention a coolent system issue or a cause.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are also likely to have a warped head, if you need to replace the head gasket.

The head will likely also need to be ground flat.

If that is included, $1500 is probably worth it. Let's hope that they will not spring it on you and up the cost, after the work starts.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Another way of looking at this is to have a lower millage engine fitted. This should be possible at or below the $1500 price quoted, and would get round the problem of a possible repeat failure and end up with a lower millage engine.

John (Britprius)

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First have the diagnosis verified, but if it's broke fix it, otherwise things will get a lot more expensive. There should be no warp-age unless you had an event such as extreme overheat or something else.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That's not my finding. I've worked as a mechanic for over 40 years. Most always, when the head gasket is blown, the head needs to be resurfaced.

SFO likes this.
  8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That sounds more like a simple oil leak than a blown head gasket. It's rare for a head gasket to leak externally. They usually leak either from coolant to/from oil or combustion chamber. So I'd say definitely get a second opinion.

In the mean time just be careful to keep the oil topped off and keep a close eye on the coolant levels. Watch out for and make note of any drive-ability issues.

9. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I saw eBay has Prius Gen II engine for $650 shipped. How much you think the installation by independent mechanics would be?

10. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It makes sense to skim the head when doing a head gasket, otherwise youll be doing it again soon

SFO and Mike500 like this.
  11. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

If it dripping oil, you should be able to verify it by putting a clean card board underneath the car overnight. If it burns oil, you should have lots of time shopping for other alternatives. My Prius 2004 does not dripping oil, it burns 1qt/500mi. It is OK to keep driving it as long as you remember to adding oil. It's been that way for 50K miles for me (well, started 1qt/2000mi). I will think about replacing the engine if cost wise makes sense.

SFO likes this.
  12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think $750 would be a fair price, but shop around.

John (Britprius)

SFO and AllenZ like this.
  13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First?
    Get a second opinion.
    I'm wondering if you need a head gasket replacement or some mechanic needs to make a house payment.

Why did you take the car there in the first place?
    Most people don't suddenly wonder if their head gasket is leaking, so some symptom drove you (pun almost unintended) to the dealer or repair shop.
    What was that symptom or those symptoms?
    How is your fuel efficiency at present?

As mentioned above, head gaskets have several important jobs to do one of which has to do with keeping oil and coolant from meeting each other, and it's somewhat rare for a head gasket manufactured in the last decade to go fail without some help from an external influence like overheating, accidents, or mechanics (or dealers) needing to get rid of some red ink.

Here's the thing.
    If you're only leaking or burning a quart of oil every 2-3 thousand miles from an 8 year old car with 150K miles and everything else is OK??
    I'd ask myself which is cheaper.....12 quarts of oil (representing 12-24K miles of driving) or $1500 bucks to yank the head and replace the gasket which may or may not cause fix this problem or cause other problems.

I would want a very clear and very present reason to spend 1500 bucks on this repair that's a little more serious than "it's starting to drip oil."

Your car.
    Your call.

If you're married and you're just trying to convince your CFO that the "change owner" light is illuminated then that's one thing.
    If it were my car?
    Based on the info that you provided?

I'd buy a case of oil and roll the dice, but that's me.
    I don't consider a car to be old enough to trade in @ 15

SFO and AllenZ like this.
  14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe this is $1500 for a valve cover gasket replacement LOL. Now they do drip oil.

There are many causes of dripping oil that are not necessarily expensive to fix. Valve (rocker) cover, sump (oil pan), even a front main seal is not too bigger deal in many cars. A rear main seal is probably the most costly one that you might want to put off while you can get away with it.

SFO likes this.
  15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I have only rebuilt 4 LT Truck and Car motors and a top overhaul on one, never just for a leaky head gasket. Decking the block and/or truing the head is SOP under those circumstances. The need to resurface a cylinder head for a blown head gasket technically is correct because they do warp some during their life. So at 152,000 mile this would be prudent. I stand corrected. [​IMG]

Still, confirm the diagnosis first.

16. Richard Davis

Richard Davis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wanted to chyme in i had a 2010 toyota prius with a head gasket leak i fixed it with thermogasket sealer it workred amazingly well it was $100 dollars for product the only one that i have ever seen actually repair a head gasket car stayed fixed until i traded it in 75000 miles later.

SFO likes this.
  17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you please tell us a little more about this $100 product?