1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Proco, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm going to be in Philly for a conference at the end of March & I'm looking for information about the area the conference is in. I'm staying at a Marriott on North Juniper Street & the conference is at the Convention Center on Arch Street. That's all I know.

I'd like to bring my wife with me, but naturally she doesn't want to be stuck in the room all day long while I'm in sessions. Is there anything in that area besides hotels? Or is there anything cool within walking distance (and is it safe)? She's not one to drive around cities and not inclined to mass transit in an unfamiliar city.

It doesn't have to be anything great. Bookstores, fun shops, etc are fine. Also healthy places to eat so she's not stuck with hotel food would be helpful.

I know it's a a lot to ask, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There's a good pdf map of the city available online - maybe from the convention bureau website? The center is is very near Chinatown. Walking east to liberty bell, independence hall. walking northwest to the Museum of Art.

I think the city is reasonably safe for daytime walking.

You ask for healthy food in the land of cheesesteaks wit ? That is a tall order.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The historic district is a must see for any visitors. It's safe walking around lots of history. If you have time at night I'd recomend the Sprit dinner cruise. The food, dancing at just being out on the water at night is very romantic, also more history can be found on the water front where the dinner cruise leaves and the SS United States is tied up and rusting away close by. Quite a sight to see, just a shame it hasn't been restored into a floating hotel or something.

5. BobandDeb

BobandDeb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You must be staying at the Courtyard Marriott. Right down Broad Street (North Broad) is a place called Jakes. Not to offend the Pats and Ginos crowd, but they have excellant cheese steaks and the rolls are the same as the other two. Go South on Broad and you will come to a little Italian Restaurant on the left hand side of the street, food there is excellant but pricier then Jakes. During the day your wife needs to go to the Reading Terminal, as well as trek up Chesnut or Market to the Historical Area and also go see the Liberty Bell and the new visitors center. Everything I have told you is well within walking distance and the weather by that time should be nice enough to walk. I have to go there every other month for business, and have made all those treks several times. Center City during the day and evening is pretty safe and secure, but like any place you should pay attention to your surroundings. Another place your wife should/could visit is the Pennsylvania Grand Lodge of Free Masons. It is going to be right on the corner by your hotel. come out the front door it will be right in front of you to your right and they give tours several times during the day and I believe they are free. This building was just refurbished and is an historical landmark. Good Luck

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks everyone for all your help! We've got a lot of good info and my wife is looking forward to playing in Philly while I'm stuck in conference sessions all day.