1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Prius Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rgustov99, Jan 2, 2021.

1. rgustov99

rgustov99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello! I have been wondering about how much longer our '09 Prius is going to last. Here are a few factors to consider.. how many more months/years do you think that this car will last?
    • It currently has 112,000 miles and we live in a semi-rural area, so a lot of mixed driving. It's mainly used for commuting to work and back on most days (5-10 minute drive) and running errands within town w/ barely any highway driving.
    • It has been starting to idle a bit louder when we cold start it (a little bit more vibration and noise/rattling coming from the Atkinson) and I've read that that's a sign of possible battery degradation because the engine has to work a bit harder to get the engine to operating temps. We also heard some unknown rattling noise during medium acceleration from 15-30 MPH, just to throw that out there.
    • I have noticed that the green status lasts a decent bit shorter (around 2-3 miles if I drove it at 35 MPH with the battery only going to the tires on the infotainment screen), but I do hit full green status a lot more often.
    • We have noticed some erratic MPG ratings this past few months, it would go from 50-65 MPG to 40-45 on the next fill-up afterwards (our fill-ups are usually within 200-400 miles of consumption), with the same person/2 people driving it normally in similar conditions.
    • We have replaced the smaller 12V battery in the trunk around 2 years ago.
    Should we expect the big battery to possibly be replaced within the next year? I have heard that the avg. lifespan is around 10 years, and the mileage does not matter much as long as you put it in those 10 years..

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i suspect she has another few years in her, but there's no way to know for sure. could drop dead tomorrow, or 5-10 years from now.
    actually, the more miles the better. taxi's have shown that the battery likes constant use. your mileage is probably pretty average.
    all the best!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. rgustov99

rgustov99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Alright, thanks for the input. Our mileage is pretty average, we've had the car since 60k miles in 2012 I believe, so we have put just over 50k miles on it, which is not a lot at all. I'm sure that re-cycling through the battery repeatedly is probably better since inactive cells could destroy their battery capacity, just like leaving a phone off for several months. :D

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Plenty of life left in your Prius... They're very reliable cars, but at some point you will need work and finding a friend of family member or DIY can keep repair costs down to 20% or less of what Toyota Stealerships charge.

Also you can restore the health/capacity of your battery pack via reconditioning. The rapid fluctuation up to green bars and then back to blue is a sign of normal loss of capacity over time. Here's all the info you need to fix that: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) | Hybrid Automotive

rgustov99 and jerrymildred like this.
  5. rgustov99

rgustov99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Okay, thanks! I have heard about third parties being able to replace certain cells and such, and yea we probably won't go to the dealership because they always inflate their prices like crazy. We'll look into the battery pack reconditioning since we are trying to keep this vehicle for a long time. Thanks again.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get in touch with @ericbecky His shop: EV Powers | Hybrid Battery Service; Repair. Prius Insight Civic. 56 Corry St, Madison, WI I bet he'd be able to point you in the direction of an honest mechanic in your area. Of course finding a friend who love's DIY learning and needs more work is going to be the least expensive solution compared to the others.

rgustov99 likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More often than not, this just leads to more cell replacement in a never-ending cycle often called "whack-a-mole." The Prolong system @PriusCamper mentioned might be a good option in your case since the battery is loosing capacity but hasn't thrown any codes yet.

Also, @ericbecky is a good source of helpful advice and an all around good guy. He'll probably chime in next time he's on the forum and sees that we've tagged him.

Another option is to keep driving and spend nothing till the battery fails and then decide whether to replace the battery or the car. The biggest drawback I see there is that you'll want to know ahead of time what you want to do so as to not put yourself in a bind. But the Prius has a couple other systems that can cost as much as a traction battery and you never know which will go first. It's a very reliable and durable car, but it's not a forever car.

For our Gen 2s (3 of them), I used the Prolong system.

rgustov99 likes this.