1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about proper procedure when using Mini VCI

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thestar, Mar 31, 2015.

1. thestar

thestar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a Mini VCI and have gotten as far as installing Windows7 32 bit on a virtual machine. I'm getting ready to install the Techstream software and drivers and am keeping my fingers crossed that this part of the process goes smoothly. My question is concerning the proper steps to take to install the software and connect to the car, as I've read conflicting reports across the internet and am not sure what's accurate. I specifically want to know:

*My understanding is that I first install Techstream, then the drivers, then plug the cable into the laptop, then actually open and run Techstream, then (with TS running) connect the cable to the car's OBD port. Just want to be sure that's correct.

*What state should the car be in when I connect the cable to the OBD port: on with engine running, "ready", off, or whatever state it's in after pressing the power button once, or twice, with foot off brake?

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. thestar

thestar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've read that post already, and probably will follow the sequence it suggests, although it seems others have had more success following slightly different sequences, which is why I was asking here as well. But thanks--it is definitely the most comprehensive info I've found.

One question it doesn't specifically answer is what state a Prius should be in before connecting to the vehicle--Ready, engine running, just power button pressed with foot off brake, etc. I know things are sometimes different with the Prius and wanted to get an answer from someone on this forum. Let me know what you think, thanks.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius should be IG-ON, where all dashboard warning lights are on. Don't leave the car in that mode very long as that places a heavy drain on the 12V battery.

After Mini VCI establishes communication with the car, then make the Prius READY.

5. thestar

thestar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Patrick, thanks, will do. My understanding of READY is that it's as simple as pressing the power button with my foot on the brake, essentially powering the car on, and leaving it in that state. Is that correct?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. You will see "READY" appear in the instrument panel when the car is in this state, which of course means that the Prius is ready to be driven.

thestar likes this.