1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about rear hatch door.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Charley 2012 prius IV, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Charley 2012 prius IV

Charley 2012 prius IV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought a 2012 Prius IV and I am enjoying it greatly. However I have a question about the rear hatch. I and physically disabled and was wondering if I could have a shop set the rear hatch up with a button I could open the back hatch door with. I keep my walker back there and it is hard for me to get around to the button to open it. I was disappointed when I found out there was no release for it up front, I can make the walk and did not let it stop me from buying the car it would just make life a lot easier. Any help would be appreciated.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I assume you mean you want a button by the driver's seat to press?

Since the button on the outside is electrical, not mechanical, it shouldn't be too difficult to rig something up that connects to the same harness as the existing button. The more difficult part would be to lift it, if you need assistance doing so. If you can lift the door by yourself and it's just the latch that's a problem, that should be straightforward, though it'd require a lot of time to pull panels off and stuff wires down the length of the car. Hopefully there's enough spring (e.g. from the seals) to keep it from re-latching, but you'd probably want to test that. (So have someone press lightly on the hatch button, and make sure that after releasing the button, the hatch can stay unlatched without applying any upward pressure; otherwise, it may be the case that you really need to lift it in the back to keep it from re-latching.)