1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about regenerative brake on the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hitechboy, Feb 6, 2010.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota has kicked around numbers in the neighborhood of 40%, meaning that 40% of the mileage gain is due to regenerative braking. Obviously regenerative braking is more important to city mileage than highway mileage.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  2. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is easy to say in hindsight. If there were more consumer education up front, maybe people would not have complained. Everybody put up with the slow acceleration, the transmission that sounds like a manual transmission with a bad clutch, and the sudden transition from electric power to gas and electric power, the bad visibility etc. I feel that if the braking was discusses, then there would be more of an acceptance that it is part of the tradeoff. I think part of the problem is that everyone has to find out about the "special characteristic" by themselves.

Of course, this is all in hindsight. And it is not if the other car companies figured that out either.

How much work does the front brake do in a normal stop. I think it is about 90% of the stopping is done by the front brake. Am I correct?

3. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the Prius brake by wire or by cable? When the friction brake have to take over the the regen brake. How does it know how much more braking power have to add to the friction brake?

p.s. To all poster, please keep this thread technical. No emotional comment please. Thank you.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  5. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A