1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about sound coming from left front while braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Comow, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Comow

Comow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I just bought a 2007 Prius, with only 120K for $5000 dollars. I was pretty happy with the deal even though I heard a strange sound coming from the front left area while test driving. I asked the car dealer about it, and he claimed to be the world's experts on Prii, and ensured me it was absolutely nothing. Obviously I'd like to get a second opinion. I notice this sound when I press the breaks, or when maybe sometimes when the electric engine is engaged. Oddly enough, I also sometimes hear the same sound when I parked the car and leave it.

I've tried to make a recording of the sound by placing my phone on the hood, close to the source of the sound, press the power button and pump the breaks.

I'm thinking about getting a check up of the car in the near future.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that buzzing sound is the brake actuator pump filling the tank. it is normal but: without the experience of knowing how often it should run, you can't tell if it is leaking.

and it's a $2,500. fix. just drive it and pay attention to see if it runs more and more often. if it is leaking, eventually, you'll get dash lights.

you're probably fine though.

3. Comow

Comow New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you identifying the issue! I have the feeling the sound has actually gotten less frequent since I got the car, so I'm pretty confident it's nothing to worry about. You made my day!

bisco likes this.