1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about the original BLACK 15" alloy wheels ('12-'15)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by teleport, Sep 11, 2015.

1. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The wheels have a minor impact on aero efficiency. There are a number of very nice looking 15", 16" and 17" wheels that fit Prius and look great. The third gen Prius Hatchback 15" wheel was OK in silver, covers off. I took the wheel covers off soon after I had the car. Did not make any perceived difference in calculated MPG. The look of the covers is subjective. I found them less than great looking. Guess I'm being kind today.

The PIP 15" alloy is a great improvement over the other normal 15" Prius wheel. If you want to improve the looks and not hurt the aero on the car, this would be the best choice. There are lighter wheels available on the market, but most of these look a little out of place on the Prius.

I upgraded to 16 inch alloys on my first Prius... 2005 second gen, mainly to get rid of the awful tires that came on the car. A premium tire on those 16" wheels made a vast improvement of the sencond Gen's directional feel and gave the driver a lot more confidence in the wet, compared to the horrible OE Integrity tires. A wheel and tire that was nearly flush to the car's wheel well edge made a huge improvement in the "looks" department, too.

Painting a wheel is an expensive and less durable alternative. You'd end up about even $$$ wise if you bought a new set of alloys for your car.