1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about the plug-in and plugging in in general

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by terramir, Nov 16, 2015.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi terramir here,
    Well I own a second generation prius and well I plan on most likely designing my own plug-in battery.
    Lifepo4 12-15 Ah, while usually this will be a more efficient hybrid battery according to my calculations me charging it up could A benefit by balancing the cells on occasionally and well for a while till the battery drops down greatly improve fuel economy, or if city driving I should be able to do Ann extended EV mode.
    Since the battery will have 2.6 - 3.36 kWh capacity of which quite a bit will be useable. I suspect I'll also more than double the hybrid useable . That's the back story.
    Here's the question, all those free charging stations in los Angeles and those made available by the feds pilot program, what connection do they make to the car, ands where can I read up on it? I.e. do the have multiple connections or is there a standard connector?
    terramir

2. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, there is free charging in Los Angeles? I am gonna have to research this!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    j-1772. their all the same except tesla.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While Tesla uses a proprietary plug, Tesla cars comes with a J1772 adapter so you can use J1772 charging stations.

Converting a Prius to a plug-in is not a casual DIY project. Some electrical engineers have done it, but it is definitely not for the faint of heart. And the PiP has a lot of software dedicated to managing the EV vs HV operation.

#4 CharlesH, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  5. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have discovered several things that makes the conversion not only feasible but actually fairly simple, at least on the battery swap side, on the external charging side it gets a little more complicated, because the charging also will have to do the major work to ensure balancing.
    terramir I have been discussing the battery swap on the other side of the forums,
    04-09 prius battery and charging specs | PriusChat
    I discovered that because the way the prius monitors the voltages and the charging voltage of a healthy prius module a little loss in capacity in hybrid mode is really all I got to fear, if I can design a charger to balance the individual cells every once in a while.
    terramir

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't quite understand what is the objective here. The software still is going to behave like it would for a standard Prius battery pack, such as maximum speed in EV mode, and the regeneration rate would be the same as for a standard battery pack. When the engine is started cold, it will still want to go through the warmup cycle, regardless of the charge in the battery.

8. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With a higher capacity you could use
    A. A wired EV button which in the 2nd gen means all electric mode in the city under 34 miles/h the regular useable capacity of the hybrid battery is about 400 Wh by my estimations a lifepo4 of the same weight will have more than twice that. If charged by plug-in it would be even more.
    B. Furthermore the higher the charge level the more the computer uses the electric motors to boost power. lifepo4 discharges tend to be simular in the discharge curve as NiMH but with a greater capacity the efficiency of the discharge rises.
    C. If you took two prius batteries in parallel you would get the same effect, but the increased weight would offset the benefits somewhat. And lifepo4 tend to have much more full cycle discharges in them than NiMH.
    D. Charge efficiency of NiMH cells is around 66 % for full charges I estimate overall efficiency for the regular hybrid mode prius would be a little higher maybe in the 65-75% range, while NiMH have higher efficiency at lower SOC the high charge rate also causes losses. LiFePo4 like other lithium chemistries have a charge/discharge efficiency that is in the 99% range even with high rate charge losses the lower 90's is realistic.
    Overall fuel efficiency should increase, and contrasting the average lifespan at 100 % SOC charge - discharge for the chemistries which is in the magnitude of 5 to 1 to 10 to 1 lifepo4 vs NiMH a lifepo4 battery should outlast the car if not constantly charged, but even then the prius, tendency to not allow less than 38% SOC should ensure quite a long life especially if the plug-in is limited to about 90 to 95 percent of capacity.
    Those are most of the benefits in a nutshell.
    terramir

CharlesH likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You sound like the hosts of Top Gear, "How hard can it be?" I wish you luck. Let us know how it turns out.

10. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The software is going to charge two different types of battery correctly.... What can possibly go wrong?

mmmodem likes this.
  11. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not know know the show, but yeah they call me Jack lol, well Daniel but you get my drift.

Ahhh well according to the math it would not be able to overcharge it, it will slightly undercharge the bank of 70 cells, 5x14
    a loss of capacity a slight one, but with external charge Utilizing the banks capacity fully will be possible, the math works my favor. It is outlined in the other thread more specifically.
    terramir

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You may want to reconsider. Over the past year, the free spots are virtually always taken up by what many think of as freeloaders. Between them & the abusers that park there because it's 'closer' ... and between being ICE'd. Your best chance to use a free charger is after everyone else has gone home, or before everyone else has arrived. And for what .... the equivalent of 45-65ยข of electricity?
    no thanks