1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about the Prius transmission

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PaulHS, Nov 17, 2008.

1. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I know it's not really a transmission. The reason for that terminology is that a friend heard somewhere that Toyota offered something other than the CVT for the Prius (year unknown). I believe that it's not likely since the HSD would require re-engineering for an automatic or manual transmission. But I've been wrong before... Does anyone know differently?

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    there has never been a manual transmission for the Prius, perhaps he was confused with the Honda Insight.

3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure it's a transmission. It just isn't an automatic or a manual.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A transmission is whatever delivers power from your prime mover to the driving elements, while adapting the speed and torque of one to the speed and torque at the other, always preserving (speed x torque out) = (speed x torque in) - inefficiency.

The Prius transmission does all of that, no less than any other transmission. It just happens to have essential parts that are found in a shiny box above the gear housing, and a smaller box under the passenger front carpet. The notion that it's somehow not-quite-a-transmission comes up when ignoring those parts and trying to think only of the gearbox. It's a more interesting transmission than that, but certainly a transmission.

(What's the prime mover then? Ultimately only the combustion engine; the battery both sources and sinks some power at times, with a long term average of zero -- minus some inefficiency. On shorter time scales, any net output from the battery just goes on the same side of the = as the combustion engine output. And there, in a nutshell, is your Prius.)

-Chap

5. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    morpheusx, thanks for your response!

And for brick and ChapmanF: If I had needed a lesson on what is and isn't a transmission, I would have asked for it.

Now if either of you can be helpful by answering my question, I'd appreciate it.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius has always been available only with the HSD. None of the Prius models featured a manual transmission, conventional automatic transmission, or a belt CVT.

Tom

7. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, way to make friends and influence people!

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Paul, lots of people read the questions and answers here. In your first post you suggested that the PSD is not a transmission. That will create confusion for many many people who read your post. So while you may have a complex and advanced understanding of the workings of the PSD, CVTs, automatic and manual transmissions many people will not. Further it was NOT clear that you have a good understanding of those things or you wouldn't have asked about a manual transmission in the Prius b/c the way the car is designed a manual transmission is impossible.

So..stow the attitude, if a reply is not helpful to you ignore it or offer a polite thank you. But it remember that it may well be helpful to others.

9. grand total

grand total Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not impossible, just unnecessary. :)

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, impossible without radical design changes and loss of efficiency.

11. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom,

Thank you for your helpful response.

Evan,

That wasn't attitude. I did not want the thread to drift after only one response. Take a look.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You said:
    While it's entirely possible you did not mean that in any negative or mean spirited way the reasonable person would interpret that tone and content in a negative light.

If you don't want the thread to drift then just say so in a polite manner.

13. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would that be the same reasonable person who would read my four sentence post and offer an on-topic response to the question instead of fixating on the first sentence?

Evan, I've wasted more time on this than is warranted. I was irked by what I considered poor reading comprehension. Hopefully there is enough freedom of expression on this forum to allow some displeasure to show through without it being labeled meanspirited or a "having an attitude."

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, I'm a guilty party, and while Evan didn't actually ask me why I had responded as I did, his diagnosis is spot on. The forum serves kind of a dual purpose: 1. get a poster's question answered, and 2. preserve information for the benefit of later readers. Your post contained one straightforward yes/no question, which I could see had already been given a complete and correct answer by morpheusx not 25 minutes after it was posted. But if the thread had ended there with no one addressing the first sentence, later readers may have been misled. So far, 377 people have viewed this thread; some may be new, unfamiliar with the Prius, or even trying to shed misconceptions they have picked up elsewhere. While the first sentence may have been a casual side point for you, too incidental to "fixate" on, that doesn't make it any less likely to mislead another reader who might not know better. So there was a reason for addressing it. If I had seen brick's shorter response I probably wouldn't have spent the time writing another, but I think they crossed in the aether. I'm sorry if it seemed like a lecture at you. It was more about keeping the record straight.

Regards,
    -Chap

15. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I found your post useful. I especially liked the last paragraph, for all the wizardry that makes up a Prius, it still ultimately runs on gasoline.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Exactly: +1 on the good post.

For PaulHS: Please don't think we are a bunch of grumpy old men. The comments about the dual nature of the forum are true. I battle with this all of the time. As an engineer, I am very technical by nature, so I tend to give people more details than they want or need. On the other hand, if I don't, I may mislead someone and have one of the other technical PC members jump on me for being inaccurate of incomplete.

Poorly worded questions are a big problem, and fairly common. We spend a lot of time and forum space wading through BS trying to understand the real issues. Sometimes we get a little snappy if we have to do it too often.

Don't take any of this personally. We are happy to have you here on PC and look forward to your future posts.

Tom

17. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I agree.

I read the question much as ChapmanF did which, I thought, raised a question as to whether the Prius has a transmission. I was interested in, and educated by, Chapman's helpful explanation.

That's the beauty of the internet - these threads take on a life of their own. While the original poster may deserve an answer, that doesn't mean he "owns" the thread and can take on the role of the "thread police."

18. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap,

I'm sorry I dumped on you. Your post WAS helpful, just not with regard to answering my question. If I had thought that the first sentence would become the focus as it did, I would have inserted the term "conventional" into it. The only point of it was to contrast the CVT with standard (manual) and automatic transmissions.

19. grand total

grand total Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who said anything about design changes or efficiency? I was just making the point that a Prius with a manual transmission is not impossible.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How would it be even possible? In traditional transmission, the car shifts gears from a single power source.

In HSD, the car shifts between the two power sources. Computer balances power transmission between electric and gas power to produce the right amount of torque at certain hp level.

If the driver were to manually control these, he'll need to control:
    - Gas engine RPM [control gas engine power]
    - MG1 RPM [control power split from the gas engine]
    - MG2 RPM [control power draw from the HV battery pack]

The driver only has two foot, not to mention the brake. I would say it is impossible.