1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about the skid prevention system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by vday, Oct 16, 2012.

1. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving yesterday and the light came on a few times over a few minute period - in stop and go traffic. Before and after I drove quite a pit and no problem at all. The car also made a noice each time the light came on.
    Today no problem at all.
    In the past during certain wet or sandy conditions the light went on but never so many times or so noisy.
    Perhaps something was stuck to a tire?
    Would like to hear what you think
    Thanks

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did it happen when stopping in the traffic? If so I bet you were pressing hard on the brake and activating the hill start assist.

3. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I concur with this. The first time I activated the hill assist it scared the pants off of me. For people like me with a heavy foot I think it happens a little easier than others.

Although if this was occurring while the vehicle was in motion or if you know it wasn't the hill-assist I would suggest taking it in and getting looked at. I believe I read in the owner's manual that the skid prevention system will alter power to your wheels and may adversely effect your braking distance (especially if it thinks you are skidding when you aren't and tells the ABS to let off the brakes).

I'm sure someone who knows more about these systems would have a better answer or tear my response to shreds but this is my thinking and what I would worry about if the sensor trips on and off.