1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question About Tinting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by LeVautRien, Jul 23, 2004.

1. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where can one find information on window tinting for someone who's totally new to the concept (as I am)?

My old car came with tinted windows, at least in the rear, and so I'm very much looking forward to getting tinted windows in my Prius (especially with having a black one and whatnot), but I have literally no idea where to begin. I do wish to pay for a quality, lasting product, nothing cheap but nothing over-the-top expensive...where do I begin?

Thanks in advance!

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    You can do it yourself, but it's an acquired art. I did mine but it's never been easy for me to tint windows. Even after 15 years of doing car mods! I don't get as much practice as the professionals. Goto an auto parts store for the retail rolls, try one box on a rear window, see if it comes out okay. The more expensive the tint the better quality it will turn out later, as well as easier to work with. Maybe have a friend help. Key is to apply liberal amounts of soapy-suds water to ensure the film slides around on the window before using a squeegee get the film to adhere to glass, working out the bubbles. Always use a sharp razor to trim, makes the job less hard. Precut a slightly larger shape, then peel off non-adhesive side, apply and trim. Ask around at the stereo shops, they either do tinting or know of the best place to go. I've only ever used a 35 % tint (dark enough to know it's there, but not limo black). Good luck. Love my Prius!