1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about TPMS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kapalacc, Oct 23, 2011.

1. kapalacc

kapalacc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buying wheels with TPMS installed already. These will be my winter wheels. Once I have my tires installed on these wheels and have the TPMS programmed (for way too much money!) will I have to do this again next winter? Will I have to reprogram my summer tires next summer?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, to both questions.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Be sure to get the serial numbers of the TPMS sensors. They are recorded in two places - the TPMS ECU where they're used, and mechanically on the outside of the sensors. You have to enter the numbers into the registration tool, which is going to be difficult if they're already sealed inside the wheel...

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do not know, TPMS's remind me of some of the funds in my portfolio: the gift that keeps on taking. Did you get the tire/wheel through TireRack? I seem to recall they might sell the device that initializes them, for a one-time exhorbitant amount.

Or kind of like the aformentioned funds, just dump them? Basically by installing the wheels/tires, but not initializing them.

I do know going that route the car will remember your OEM's with their TPMS when you put them back on next Spring.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If by initialize, you mean they basically "turn them on", then they do that when they install them on the wheels/tires. You still have to update the ECU in the car for it to recognize them.

There's the ATEQ TPMS tool that you can purchase online, which works with the Prius to change the TPMS IDs. It'll even remember what you program into the program on your computer, so you can click "swap" and it'll load the correct IDs into the tool to be loaded into the ECU. Otherwise, you're stuck getting a TechStream compatible cable, software, and doing the update that way. I'm not aware of any other tools for consumers that are able to update the Toyota ECU for the TPMS - that's not to say there isn't one, though.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, my terminology is out-to-lunch: I meant introduce the Prius to them, and that's a pricey, ongoing exercise.

My 2 cents to the OP: cut your losses: just ignore that they're there. That way at least your OEM wheels and rims will stay connected.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. A little electrical tape over the light is a lot cheaper.

8. kapalacc

kapalacc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really appreciate all of the responses... Because of all this TPMS stuff, I'm keeping my OEM wheels and will suck up the stupid amount they will charge to change them 2x per year!

9. archebald23

archebald23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes you should have to reprogram it again.. see more repair guides on auto md.. and also might want to look at some of the car recall made this year...

1 person likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I kept it zipped for a while, but can't stand it, LOL:

You're going to get tires pulled off your OEM rims and re-installed twice yearly, just to enshrine the TPMS? That's a lot of wear-and-tear, labour, likely a new valve stem every time. My 2 cents, put the snows on separate rims, and drop-kick any recently purchased TPMS's off the end of the driveway. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a 5 min hack to disable the light. Search the forums. Mine light never comes on now.