1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question: Battery Replacement Cost

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by sejinro, Mar 14, 2018.

1. sejinro

sejinro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am considering the Prius Prime and hoping to keep it for about 7 to 10 years. When do you think the battery will fail? If so, how much is the replacement cost?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I looked at my go to site, McGeorge Toyota: typically they have a section "Hybrid Components", but for the Prime, that section is missing. Maybe better you don't know? Or it could be a supply issue?

To be fair, I've seen a Prius Eco battery tear down, and IIRC they say it has two banks of cells, whereas the Prime has 5, so maybe around:

$2200 x 5/2 ?

3. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had the same concern, but if you add up all the maintenance cost from a normal car= a new battery by the you need to replace it. That is how I see the math for prime, I could be wrong

4. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are YouTube videos concerning battery replacement in BEV, like the Leaf. Although I wouldn’t try it myself, I’m guessing there are / going to be specialized shops that will do the work much cheaper than a complete new battery pack from Toyota?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You live in CA, a CARB state where the HV Battery has a 10 year / 150,000 mile 100% warranty. If over about 1% of the batteries fail, it would drive Toyota into bankruptcy, so obviously Toyota thinks they have more than a 10 year life.

My guess is that significant numbers, 25%, will fail in 15 years. It is just a guess, and it is just my own.

The Prime was introduced in 2017, so no Prime anywhere is out of warranty. That is going to make 'replacement cost' rather imaginary for some time. (I think England only has a five year warranty, so that may be the first place to have a real cost)

Wailua.Mark and breakfast like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any PIP (2012~2015 Prius Plug-in) battery failures? It's still pretty early, and I think no, at least not reported here?

#6 Mendel Leisk, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • When did the Gen-1 Prius batteries fail?
    • When did the Gen-2 Prius batteries fail?
    • When did the Gen-3 Prius batteries fail?
    • When did the Plugin Prius batteries fail?
    • When did the Gen-4 Prius batteries fail?
    I own a 2017 Prius Prime Plus after a Gen-1 and Gen-3 Prius so 'I have a dog in that fight.' But what we've learned, owners and Toyota, is their earlier batteries have turned out to be very reliable. The small number of packs that failed had many replaced by batteries from salvage packs. If past is prologue, accidents are more likely to take the car than a pack failure. FYI, earlier Prius engines and transmissions also fail and are every bit as expensive to replace.
    A 3d party, rebuilt, Gen-1 pack costs ~$1,700 plus installation which can be owner or 3d party handled for ~$300-500. The equivalent Toyota packs are more with a typical cost of $3,500-4,000 parts and labor. Of course the problem is new technology and improvements will continue to flow into subsequent model years and next generation Prius.

So if we're looking at "for about 7 to 10 years":
    • 3 years - Gen-1 Prius, 2001-03
    • 5 years - Gen-2 Prius, 2004-09
    • 3 years - PIP, 2012-15
    • 7 years - Gen-3 Prius, 2010-16
    If past is prologue, our 2017 Prius should be replaced with the next generation between 2020-2024. You are more likely to see 'last generation depreciation' or an accident take out the car before the battery.

There are extended warranties that IMHO that might give peace of mind. I think they are expensive but if you are risk adverse, it might work for you.

Bob Wilson

#8 bwilson4web, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    breakfast likes this.
  9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, there is no cost on the battery for the Prime yet. Another person was asking, wondering if they could double up the battery for extended range, and found there was no cost available. It's still fully warranty, though if damaged in a collision I suppose Toyota would have to come up with an "estimated cost" for insurance purposes.

10. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota gen3 replacement factory traction battery 1600$, a steal, who's going to be the first to offer a liquid cooling kit for the gen4 and prime traction battery?

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Third party remanufactured pack
    The air cooling system was designed properly and is working fine, unlike the first Nissan Leafs.
    No need to get fluids near our high voltage.

12. Given that Prime is a plug-in, I don't think that I'd shell out $3K (or whatever it will be) in 8 years for what will seem like a measly 25 miles.

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Unfortunately if the traction battery starts to fail, you don't have many options. The car won't work properly without a functioning traction battery, and continuing to use it with lots of bad cells will just make the other cells fail sooner. If you sell it you will take the battery replacement hit unless you're dishonest and the buyer is not very careful. If you trade it in on a new car you will also take the hit. Between a rock and a hard place is where you will be.

Good news is that they don't often fail in 8 years (and are warranted for that long anyway). Pearl is still going strong after 11 years, now passed to her third owner. Pearl S is fine after 6 years. But with just 37,000 km on the odo she's a "garage queen". ;)

breakfast likes this.
  14. EazyPeazy

EazyPeazy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got the prestige all encompassing bumper to bumper warranty for 6 yrs and 125k miles from the dealer. Anything that goes wrong with the car is under this umbrella coverage. Very happy with my decision. Plus, by that time will have already sold the car.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    best of all, history shows the traction packs don't just simply fail. The typical M.O. is the pack will have less & less capacity, whereby your mileage starts to creep ever so slowly downward.
    The pack resiliency is made evident pretty much when you look at the Gen 3 & Gen 2 forums which have threads of the many folks who get over 200 & 300K miles & more. But heck, who keeps a car that long anyhow?!? The op might wanna hold off worrying about this for at least a ½ decade.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was the o/p just a flamethrower?(n)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hit and run artist if nothing else:whistle:.

EyePrime and bisco like this.
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    fluid & high voltage isn't necessarily the enemy of each other. Many a deep water oil rig platform scuba diver has welded under water & many a person has plugged & unplugged their plug-in, standing in the rain barefooted with no danger. That's how it goes with liquid-cooled traction packs too. Do electrical circuitry right & everything goes fine. Do it wrong? Not so much.

#18 hill, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  19. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I saw replacement cost for the Prime battery at $2,000 but we may never hear about a replacement.

20. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If u keep it for less than 10 years, than it would be free to replace a battery through 10 year warrenty

Raytheeagle likes this.