1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question For Former "Sporty Car" Owners.....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by geeter, Apr 11, 2010.

1. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all,
    First time poster over here, as I am a VW owner on on a couple of VW forums.

I am debating on getting out of my 08 VW GTI 2 door and into an 2010 Prius II. My wife and I are looking to get a little more room out of a car, and we don't want a SUV/CUV/gas hog, etc.

I am priced out of a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, and the Prius II meets my price point. I am concerned that I will be giving up some great features in my GTI (acceleration, handling, steering feel, great seats) in a Prius.

I borrowed my buddies 2010 Prius II yesterday for about an hour and came away with mixed feelings. I was able to get serious economy (MFD said 54 MPG over the hour) and felt it would be sizable enough for us. Cargo room is about the same in the GTI, but the Prius layout is a bit more friendly.

I also have a round trip commute of 65 miles daily, so a hybrid/diesel makes a lot of sense, on top of the many road trips we take. I get around 29-31 MPG out of the GTI, but 50 MPG would save me about 1300 bucks a year according to my calculations.

So after all of my rambling, I was wondering how many of you came out of similar sporty cars (RSX, MS3, GTI, WRX, Cobalt SS, etc) and still are happy with the Prius. Thanks in advance for your time.

2. rmay

rmay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I enjoy driving, especially cars with a manual transmission, and haven't had high dollar cars but a few I think meet your definition while being within my budget (2000 Camaro SS M6, 2002 Nissan Maxima M6, 2004 Mazda6s M5, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire M6) and now drive a Mazda5 with a rare manual transmission, which gives it only a little zoom-zoom but the chassis tuning still makes for a little fun.

We bought the Prius for my wife and part of it is my increasing age (41) and generally settling down, but I have no reservations about driving the Prius, enjoy the practical aspect of saving money, and have fun trying to evolve my driving style to maximize mileage. That's my experience, for what it's worth. Good luck whatever you decide.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to drive a Honda CRX. You can decide if that fits your description of sporty, but it was basically a pocket rocket.

Driving the Prius is an entirely different experience. It doesn't have the same sense of power, speed, and handling, but the odd thing is that it doesn't matter to me. The Prius pulls a whole different sense of driving satisfaction out of me. Without making a conscience effort, I found myself focusing on the smoothness of my driving, and trying to predict the most efficient speeds and traffic flows. The Prius gets into your soul and changes your thinking. I no longer want to drive fast or corner hard, but I still enjoy driving every bit as much.

Tom

2 people like this.
  4. rmay

rmay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tom,

That's how I feel but you said it much better than I did above! Well put.

Randy

5. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I came out of an RSX type S. There are things I miss about that car--most notably MT, responsiveness in the handling and generally better driving ergonomics--but found it easy to adapt to the Prius and, as qbee42 says, driving is still 'fun' albeit in a different way. Acceleration really isn't an issue; there is plenty of power for when you *need* it (e.g., merging to a freeway), and the roads around here are so jammed up with traffic your 0-60 time is practically meaningless. I do miss the MT on occasion, but when you're stuck in stop-'n'-go traffic, the CVT is nice--especially watching your FE go *up* in a situation where almost any other car would experience the exact opposite. So, to summarize, I'm largely happy with the choice. Good luck w/ your decision.
    ~T

6. abosman

abosman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My last three cars were an intrigue GLS, grand prix GTP, g6 GTP all 0-60 in under 6 sec. My 2010 Prius III 0-60, 10 seconds so what, 48 to 54 mpg city verses 17 to 19 mpg on the GM products which all had recalls for steering gear issues. I really don't miss the problems and the savings per year $1,542. If I include my wife's 09 Prius VI the savings is doubled and the cars are fun to drive.

Tony

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I came from an '01 Honda Civic 2dr (MT) and they dont really compare. The civic isnt the sportiest, but it has "oomph" when you want and you feel connected with the manual gearbox and hydraulic steering. So much so, that I couldnt part with it, and it now sits in my driveway for occasional "fun" driving. :)

The Prius however is also fun as mentioned above, but more in a relaxing calming way that makes a techie happy. It is not like driving our Lexus RX where it is not really fun but it is really quiet and peaceful. It is sort of a mix. Too harsh and loud to be a lexus, but really smooth.

I find myself enjoying driving around town in the Prius alot more with the stop and go traffic as well as timing the lights, etc. I find I still prefer my Honda as a sunday driver I suppose, but I have only fired her up twice since February. :)

8. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Possibly good advice might be to take another extended test drive or two in the Prius before making the final decision. The Prius is 'different' enough from traditional sporty cars that you may need some time to get comfortable with the Prius. Of course, if never get comfortable with it, then you have your answer. I was lucky when I was shopping for my 2008 Prius in that there were quite a few used Gen II's available for extended test drives and I took more test drives than I care to admit before buying a new 2008. Yes, I admit it, I wasn't certain at first whether I was willing to make what turned out to be a very small sacrifice - but I didn't know it at the time.

For perspective, one of the reasons why I didn't purchase a Gen II when they first came out was the inability or lack of cars for long test drives. The short test drive that I was 'allowed' in a 2004 Prius was a disaster and the Toyota salesman was both clueless and annoying. Of course, I'm now sorry I didn't buy a Prius sooner.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Prius isn't a sports car and will not come close to the GTI for performance or handling. I personally would say the TDI would offer a better balance for performance and economy.

Your call.

10. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drive my prius as if I wanted it to be a sporty car (in other words, I speed/floor it a lot) and manage to never get below 46mpg because of it. I have to say the only time I think you'll notice the lack of acceleration ability is from a stop. this car has great midrange accelleration though, so you won't have issues zipping past cars once you're up to speed.

Try flooring it from a stop in power mode 0-60, it's a pretty good indication of what it's like to drive a prius if you're wondering about it's sportiness

11. hbark

hbark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a sports car before getting our 2004 Prius (and we just got a 2010 Prius). Bought the '04 because my wife really wanted it, she's the real green person between us.

When we got the Prius, I never really changed my driving habits, I'm probably in the minority of Prius drivers who don't do everything possible to squeeze the most gas mileage out of it. When my wife drives it, she gets like 51 MPG, and I get like 43 MPG. That's on our 2004, we pick up the 2010 tomorrow.

Anyway, as others have said obviously it's no sports car, but it's a lot quicker than I thought it would be, and on the highway can go as fast as you want it to. Although don't even try to take curves/corners as if you were in a sports car.

All in all though I've been really happy with the Prius (which is why we bought another one), I'm kind of a geek and I like all the electronics, too.

12. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your feedback thus far. As one poster mentioned, the TDI might be a better fit in terms of gearbox, handling, and power, but it is too expensive for me at this time. With the current discounts and incentives, a Prius II is nearly 5K less than a base TDI wagon right now. Those rarely go more than 300 bucks under sticker.

I have spoken to a few friends who have gen II and III's and they rave about them. I have already gotten past the "drive fast" stage of my life, but the GTI gives a rare combo of good economy and gobs of torque and usable power. I most surely have some thinking to do.

Another friend of mine offered me to borrow his 2010 Prius for a long drive, and I am going to take him up on the offer. In the meantime, I hope to hear more comments. Thanks again.

13. Tom Banjo

Tom Banjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My previous car was a BMW 325 station wagon w/ sport package. The Prius is not in the same class in terms of handling, acceleration, seats, interior, etc.

However, for a long daily commute, it is great. The realities of getting more than twice the MPG more than make up for the fact it does not have burl walnut veneer on the dash or drive effortly at 85 mph. On my hour commute in the morning my average speed is 46 mph, and no matter what car I drive, it will be about the same.

The Prius will never be a sports car, but it is still a fun, efficient, and with a top package, comfortable, car to drive.

14. Beauregard

Beauregard Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Prius is our forth vehicle. Each of the four fills a niche for us. In addition to the Prius we have a ML550 V8 powered SUV, a 2 seater Mercedes SL and a modified Hemi Powered Dodge Ram that puts out around 370 hp and is used for towing and hauling.

Each vehicle is a different driving experience. One does well in bad weather, one can pull a house and one is a fun convertible.

But it is the Prius that gets by far the most road time. It is a completely different driving experience than the other three, and to me, just as satisfying. You will develop and different mindset when driving the Prius, with driver efficiency becoming the goal.

The 2010 Prius is one of the "Coolest" cars I've ever owned, and I've owned many many cars. As "Car Guys" (Car People?) begin to discover the Prius and what a technological kick in the shorts it is to drive, you'll see them working their way up the cool scale with a completely different crowd.

My friend is a die hard Porsche fanatic, and is now considering a G3 Prius for his everyday driving. It's happening folks.

Bo

15. MisterRed

MisterRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    80 feels the same in a Prius but it takes longer to get there. My last car was a Cadillac CTS-v with a 0-60 time of about 5 seconds. What you give up in any sort of performance, you gain in gas mileage.

16. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow.....at CTS-V to a Prius........that is interesting.

I guess it all comes down to economy......which sure is important these days.

How do you all find the seats in comparison to your former "well bolstered" cars? Road trip worthy as well?

17. MisterRed

MisterRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Comparing one to another will just drive you crazy. The Prius functions well for its purpose. I am a car guy but chose the Prius because of its mileage capability. The seats are sufficient as I am most certainly not taking corners the same way as I would have in the V. BTW, the V had full-on KW coilover suspension.

18. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is this image attached to the Prius that owners are not "gearhead" types and drive the Prius as if it was an appliance. That is quite insulting to you guys, but it is just media play. A couple of the car blogs I read daily love to rip on the Prius, but it is easy to say things behind the comfort of the internet.

It is hard not to over analyze it since they are so different. And I just want to avoid regret with such a large purchase. It was so easy with the GTI, because it does so many things well. I think the Prius also does many things well. And I like the idea of becoming in tune with the car differently than a "drivers car", as some of you have stated.

19. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, you sure will. If those four traits are most important to you the Prius will not make you happy.

20. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My moniker tells you that I was ready to stop buying cars that went around corners on rails, and I was never a 0-60 MPH fanatic. Although I enjoyed the Acura and then the Audi that preceded my Prius, in Power Mode it has plenty in urban situations, and on the road it gets to 80 MPH fast enough. I enjoy a MT, but the CVT takes care of itself well. Steering responsiveness is fine on a V model, feel might be better, and there are better tires than OEM. Seat-wise, I will be taking it on the first multi-day road trip next month.