1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for San Franciscans

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by Spunky, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Spunky

Spunky New Member

My husband and I will be touring Napa for four days and then three days in San Francisco in the middle of March.

Although we've been to your city before, it was for just a day. We're hoping to explore the city by foot and public transportation, try the local delicacies, and find the San Francisco usually missed by tourists.

We like wine and good food, beautiful scenery, sailing, museums, history, music (classical, folk), and dislike crowds.

Any must-see, must-do recommendations?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You may need to put this in the main forum to get it noticed. I am at the wrong end of Calif, but have 2 recommendations anyway. Golden Gate Park, and Art's Automotive 2871 San Pablo Ave. Berkeley (across the bay). The latter is the only (or one of the only) independent hybrid repair shops. I think it would be fun to drop in and say hi.

3. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Hey, cool! Yes, it would be fun to drop in on Art's.

And we will definitely hit Golden Gate Park. Looks huge on the map, maybe we should rent bicycles that day?

Thanks for the input.

4. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi (again), Spunk--

If I get rambling too long here, and you want, we can continue via PM.

I'll state a few observations/ideas in case others may want to react.

To me, in SF, many of the most interesting places ARE the "touristy" ones. But not all.

1. I love Chinatown---and there's a smaller, separate Japanese commercial area, too. There are about 50 square blocks of wonderful stores; we get Asian vegetables there all the time, unavailable or too expensive in inland cities. Many of the shops are pure tourist junk stores, many selling the same things. (You should at least get a cheap Chinese lantern for $7, if not a hand-embroidered, satiny dress for $25!) But what I like most is the sheer VITALITY of Chinatown. At a given time, 75% or more of the people on the streets ARE Asian, too. Locals? Tourists? Who knows!

BTW, much of Chinatown is on a steep hillside. Your legs will get a workout.

2. Crissy Field and the Presidio. Crissy is the old WW II air field, cannon emplacements and ammo depots directly adjacent to the GG Bridge---under it and stretching a couple miles inland---at sea level. But now it's a City park and mostly "un-militarized", though with a few anti-terrorist US troops near the bridge. They're restoring wetlands and natural habitat there. People are wind surfing, flying kites, fishing off an old pier, picnicing (there are clusters of tables and BBQs) and just walking at all hours, at least when it's 55 degrees or more and the ocean breeze is under 15 MPH! It's huge, with the most unlimited free parking in one place in SF.

The Presidio, rising above Crissy in a complicated series of roadways, is heavily forested but also contains old military barracks and adm. buildings, many of which have been converted to private use (non-profit orgs). Another great place to drive, walk or bike. The most staggering thing about the Presisio is that every tree there was planted by the military (there are hundreds of thousands). Old pics show it was totally barren a century ago or more.

3. The Embarcadero. PURE tourisism in its crassest form---but can be a blast! About 20 blocks of shops/restaurants, piers, a huge aggregation of sea lions lounging on rock piles, a Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not "museum", wonderful fresh seafood stores/restaurants, street performers and even a small, sandy beach. Spend at least an hour there just to see what's going on that day. About a mile east of Crissy Field.

4. Golden Gate Park. You can spend a day or two just walking around---lots of quiet, more natural areas, ponds, gardens, a brand-new, multi-story artist's building (work and display areas), pathways---and one end goes right to a big beach on the ocean. Used for bike races/events on many days. Surrounded by busy streets, and with a fair amount of traffic inside the park along the edges, but always a place to park for free.

5. Coit Tower. At the top of a hill near the Bay, downtown, offering a commanding view of the whole Bay Area. Extremely limited (but free) parking. Interior walls totally covered with "people's art" as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in the 30's.

6. You can't avoid driving on steep streets if you drive downtown, but Lombard St. is the best. From its highest point going downhill, it's extreme (but driveable) switchbacks winding among residences. Gotta do it.

I'll stop there to see if you have questions.

All these things are within a 20-min. drive of each other.

I'm not a resident of SF, long-time or otherwise. You may get a completely different perspective from someone who is.

5. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

totally depends on what your pleasures are....but the new DeYoung Museum is wonderful...in GG Park.
    Areas of the Mission for Spanish, StAmerican or Mexican Food
    DimSum in China town....
    SOme good theater...
    The Asisn Art museum and SOMA downtown both good.
    The Slanted Door is a wonderful place to eat but there are so many.....

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never been a resident of San Francisco, but I did go there on a bike tour once. My favourite attractions were the cable car museum and the exploratorium.

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ChinaTown is a fabulous place to hit food and entertainment-wise, Golden Gate Park is so beautiful and fillled with sights, Coit Tower. It's been a while but if you like Blues and fabulous food, Lou's down around pier 37 is soooo much fun. Look for the little bistro's and coffee shops for breakfast, so many places there have awesome pastries.
    Foot and public transport is great, get the 3 day pass

8. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Exploratorium, a wonderful old structure, is moving---down by one of the piers, I think. Not sure when.

9. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

If you love wine and dislike crowds, you're visiting the wrong county first! You should schedule some time in Sonoma county, the wine country just left of Napa county! The wineries are smaller, less "commercial" and way friendlier. Plus they have some really excellent tours at places like Sebastiani winery in Sonoma and Korbel winery on Russian River Road. Sonoma county is less known by tourists but VERY well known by wine-lovers.

10. cdweller0

cdweller0 New Member

Ditto to Sonoma over Napa, both places are gorgeous though.

11. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Looks like an itinerary is coming together.

Thanks for your suggestions, folks!

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    More dittos on Sonoma from a Northern Californian.

Word of advice for Napa Valley wineries. Stay away on weekends! If you must, use the Silverado Trail and not the Saint Helena Highway/128/29 (all the same road) it will be wicked crowded.

For something a little different in the Napa/Sonoma area, go see the Old Faithful Geyser of California. One of only three in the world. It is located between Napa and Sonoma.
    http://www.oldfaithfulgeyser.com/

For the best views OF San Francisco - on the North side of the Golden Gate Bridge is Battery Spencer (an old army gun emplacement) on Conzelman Road.
    http://virtualguidebooks.com/NorthCalif/Ma...SpencerTop.html
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=37.826582,-122....91,0.014634&t=h

13. Jeff Beaver

Jeff Beaver Junior Member

Take the first Mill Valley exit off 101 ten minutes north across the Golden Gate bridge. You will pass the Dipsea Cafe on your right, a good place for breakfast. From there it's another 20 minutes to Muir Woods, the southernmost stand of ancient redwoods in California. Well worth taking a few minutes to check out some of the most awesome trees on the planet -- although I admit they do get a tad bigger further north. From there it's back to 101, and an hour+ north to the wine country -- either Sonoma or Napa.

Jeff