1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for the Prius Team Re: SPVS Function

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, May 13, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall this being asked so maybe Prius Team can help.

For the Solar Panel Ventilation System, at what speed does the fan run? Does it keep it at the lowest setting? Does it vary between LO and the middle fan speed?

In other words, does it sound like the car is on if someone was passing by? We wouldn't want to give would-be thieves the idea that the car might be on even if it isn't. That might save some glass replacement costs.

2. jon_lancaster_toyota

jon_lancaster_toyota Nate Riesen

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me add to this question. I under stood the system to run only in driect sun-light and to be used to bring in out-side air to bring the cabin down to the ambient outside air temp. If it's 80 outside and the interior is at 105 due to the sun heating the car...Prius will activate a fan and cool the car. To me, this doesn't suggest that the fan will run for hours...am I correct?

Second, Tideland- there is a second feature ( Remote Air Conditioning System ) that activates the Climate Control at a range of 30 yards and is activated by the key fob to begfin cooling the car to your pre-set climate control temp. setting.

Third, you've got security via Engine Immobilizer so if your window is broken to see if the car is running and available for an unauthorized demo drive...the thief will not be able to start the car and will leave your Prius behind with the window broken, ventilating the car more efficiently than any solor roof and fan gizmo could.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Nathan. Good points but unfortunately didn't answer my question...

I just want to know how fast will it run the fan and at what speed (fixed or variable)

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tideland, I'm going to venture it's variable based on input voltage. The solar panel is more or less wired to the motor. At what speed, cannot be said. EWD's show that a relay disconnects battery and connects solar panel to the DC Brushless double ball-bearing fan motor.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... so does that mean under direct overhead sunlight, the fan could potentially operate on "HI"?

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would think that any other scenario would require things we know to not be true such as charging of the traction battery when excess power is created by solar panel

OR

things we hope are not true such as the fan using power from the traction battery

another thing to keep in mind, the system will never allow the inside temp to reach ambient temp simply due to constant influx of solar heat to the interior. so the fan at any speed will be fighting a losing battle. but i think the goal of the system is to keep the car tolerable. hey, just keeping it within 10-15 degrees is better than a 50 degree difference.

7. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tideland, my product info doesn't specify, you'll have to wait til your new Prius arrives to check it out!!!! :)

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    assuming I get the model with the SPM ;)... heh.

Alrighty, thanks!

It'll be funny if all the Prius on the dealer's lot had their fans going.

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya know, I'll have to watch for that, but it'd be hard to judge whether it's doing anything unless there were strings or ribbons tied to the vents. I may do that at first just to "note" whether it's doing anything.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let us know the intricacies of the SPVS!