1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for those who have upgraded to Prime - handling?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Downrange, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    As a long time Prius owner, I'm considering updating/upgrading my 2013 Prius Three to a 2022 Prius Prime. I have watched at least a dozen YTs, perused as many threads here, but have not found a definitive answer to the following: what is the effect upon the handling of the car to have the extra 300 lbs in the rear end? My Three is a fairly good handling car. It's not going to set any records on a road course, but it's predictable, corners well, and leaves me with a confident feeling. I worry about that extra weight in the rear. Is the car still fairly "tossable" or does it feel unpredictable?

I get that the weight distribution is actually closer to 50/50 with the huge battery, but I still wonder about the extra weight; will the car suddenly switch to oversteer behaviour? Or will it lose any of the nimbleness it has now? I have tried a lot of different tires over the years, but love the feel of the Michelin X-Ice for winter driving. I'd run them year round, but the compound's too soft even for Canada summers.

Any opinions welcome - just trying to sort out this decision process. BTW, there is ZERO stock on any Prius at the dealer here. I have my name on the next Prime coming soon...

#1 Downrange, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it’s fine but others are more anal about things like this. Get a good test drive.

3. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yes, thanks. Impossible - no stock at dealer.

4. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am fortunate to have both a 2021 Prius Prime XLE (currently wearing the newest model of Michelin X-Ice) and a 2010 Prius Four. The 2021, on the TNGA platform with independent rear suspension, is a much more comfortable ride. The steering is much better than the Gen3. It does not feel unpredictable in the twisty stuff, and turns-in nicely under moderate pressure. The transition from straight driving to turning is more linear than the significant understeer of the Gen3, which feels like you need a lot of steering angle to get the car started into a turn, then must back off the pressure to keep it in the lane. The Prime (and maybe all Gen4 variants) is shorter in height, and the driver’s head is correspondingly lower. I think that the lower driving position makes the glare from both oncoming and following headlights more problematic. For this reason alone, in the dark, I actually prefer my 2010 on unlit rural backroads during commute-time. I cannot compare the Prime to a standard Gen4, because I’ve never driven one. I think that would be the best test of the effects of the Prime battery weight.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The pack isn't huge by any means, in fact it's actually too small for some owners. And it's 300 lbs. , not 300 extra lbs.
    Handling is good all around. I've been surprised a time or two in heavy crosswinds. Other than that, it stops well, corners well and with the right tires holds the road steady as she goes.
    Concerning your IceX, I hear you and I've discovered that going up a few notches in tire specs can be as good as snows year round. I have Nokian Nordman for winters and I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S XL 99T (discontinued in that size, but still a few around). I curbed my front drivers side Nordman and the sidewall bubbled and went flat a few weeks after I scrapped the curb. So I put 2 Michelins up front and they are as steady in deep snow as the Nordmans. They are also rated for 80k tread life on a small truck or SUV. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can get more from them with the Prime being a lighter load.
    Yes, the car will break loose on ice and a 90^ turn, if going to fast, but from a stop to speed or confidence on a snow covered road, the Prime is the best handling car I've ever owned.
    Just one opinion...

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The extra weight in the trunk improves the handling. Even BMWs have a hard time keeping up with me on sharply curved ramps—starting with tailgating and then falling far behind—and the limitation is not the car but how dizzy I can tolerate. ;)

7. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2021 Prime is greatly increased handling in all ways from a Gen3 2015 Prius

I never used winter or ice tires in PA, so cannot comment other than
    I always love how the Gen 3 and C and now the Prime drives in snow

Gokhan likes this.
  8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Moreover, the handling of the Prius Prime has improved with the 2021 model year.

9. Jeff Cohen

Jeff Cohen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 2017 Prime is a great handling car, though not as good as the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid I traded in on it. In fast sweeping entrance ramps, going fast under power, the rear end has tried to move slowly out, but a flick of the steering wheel was all that was needed to bring her movement under control. On curves with broken asphalt she will skitter out some in a drift, not tail happy, but easily controlled by slowing down. Maybe a wiggle here and there on the steering wheel. The Cayenne was heavy, almost ponderous, but capable. The Prime is like a sports car in comparison. Especially in Power Mode. Scares me some time as I am usually in Eco. Easier to toss and shoot through traffic as the Cayenne was a slug unless you put the throttle near the floor, then it would wake up. Enjoy it. Oh, that extra weight also modulates the bounciness of the rear I have noticed in the regular Prius. Giving a smoother ride.

Tideland Prius, Gokhan and vvillovv like this.
  10. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I had a 2013 Prius and a 2016 Prius before I got my 2022 Prime. Both the 2016 and 2022 models are muuuch better handling than the 2013. They aren't pushed around by wind as much on highways and you don't get that uncomfortable rolling feel taking a hard turn on off ramps. I've noticed barely any difference in handling between the 2016 regular prius and the 2022 Prime. I had Xice tires for winter on the 2016 and I think I might prefer those to the blizzaks I put on the Prime. My main complaint is a result of my own laziness - taking the turn from the road to my driveway when my driveway has a bunch of snow the front end slides a bit coming into my driveway at speed (so I can make it up the hill because i also neglected to do anything about the hockey rink smooth ice below all the snow.).

If anything I think the extra weight of the bigger battery pack has improved handling.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here’s my review. Scroll down to The Drive section.

A Prius Expert’s Review of the 2018 Prius Prime | PriusChat

Basically it’s significantly better imo. The chassis, suspension geometry and tune, and weight distribution enhance the handling aspect. I don’t know if anything’s tweaked for 2022 but for the 2018 I have, the suspension is still soft (noticeable when compared to our 2016 Touring - that’s stiff) but the way it handles bumps and ruts (like those //\\ water channels on ramps at the malls) is much better than the torsion beam on the Gen 3.

Gokhan likes this.
  12. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Thanks so much for the replies. Very good info, and just what I was looking for!

vvillovv likes this.
  13. MBurch

MBurch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Had a 2016 model 3 touring, have a 22 PP - big difference in ride quality - PP is planted and handles well, if it had better tires would handle great but then MPG would suffer as well

Gokhan likes this.
  14. Hydrocket

Hydrocket Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    The TNGA platform is very impressive in every bar I've driven with it.

No contest...the chassis of a new is night and day in every regard compared to the older models.

Gokhan likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I pay much attention to the "performance" aspects of the car, compared to Gen3, PP feels way more comfortable and stable on highway speed drives. At lower speed in town drives which is my 99% of driving, I can't say I noticed much difference, but still overall much nicer ride than Gen3 for sure.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine stays very flat on the curves. Handles WAY better than the previous PiP or the Gen 2s we've had.

The battery is 288 pounds compared to the roughly 55 pounds of the regular Li-ion battery. So that's 233 pounds difference. Part of that difference is removed by the lighter weight of the carbon fiber hatch on the Prime. Even so, according to the brochures, the Prime is about 300 pounds heavier depending on the trim levels.

Handling compared to my wife's 2017 trim 2 is pretty similar but I don't drive hers enough to be very sure of the comparison.

17. PerryD

PerryD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I've gone from a 2014 Prius IV to a '22 Prime. The Prime feels a bit sportier in handling, but the biggest difference is acceleration when in EV mode. Certainly not ludicrous but a welcome change.

18. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Just picked mine up. Overall it feels much more supple and pliant - turn in much improved over my 13 model. Feels like a bigger car. Love the Prime - first EV drive into town on full charge, got 36 km and a 97 score in subzero weather! Same principles as my other Priuses seem to apply. Very impressive EV performance!
    Much more sophisticated ride.

19. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In EV mode, the car handles extremely well. Steering is pretty close to neutral and I don't notice much roll when taking a 35mph turn at 50.

I have also left quite a few cars (as in almost all of them) behind on my early morning commute when in EV mode and taking turns at well above the speed limit. This is when I have extra battery charge to spare as I charge the PP at work.