1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for those with the LED headlamps

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Mr Gee, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an I-Tech Prius C and it comes with the LED headlamps. It great but the beam could be better if it pointed further up the road.

I can't seem to find any means of adjusting the beam height and wonder if any of you can help.

2. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I don't think any of the US trim levels come with stock LED headlamps, so it may only be a small sample of us who have them.

Mine already appear to be positioned at the highest legal point but I'll have a look at the car tomorrow and see if I can see anything. To be honest I already find they tend to annoy people more than I'm used to - when a crest causes other drivers to be in the beam I've had people flash their headlights at me a couple of times.

I also notice when people push prams in front of my car (when stopped clearly), the kids are NOT happy.

bgil likes this.
  3. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Mr Gee and Rob
    My Kiwi C s-Tech is very similar to the Aussie I-Tech, and has LED headlights. My manual says that vehicles with LED headlights have an automatic headlight levelling system, adjusted according to number of passengers and loading condition.

4. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Yep ours are the same. I could not see anything that looked remotely like headlight adjustments I've had in previous cars. This being said that whole area is so much more cramped and packed in than I'm used to.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I presume your cars don't have many km on them. I would ask the dealer to check & adjust the headlights. It's going to be a minute adjustment & the car needs to be level. This isn't something I would want to try with the car sitting in the driveway.

6. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Mine are fine. I park in an underground car park that I trust to be level, so previously I would have tweaked them myself if I felt there was an issue, but in any case this is a standard inspection item (and is also a registration inspection item, when we have to do one), so I agree, any dealer should do it - if it's wrong it suggests they missed it.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Auto leveling works to solve a different problem and has nothing to do with the initial static setting/level of the beam. I'm not familiar with the LEDs in the c to be of any help except to say there is a way to adjust the set level. :) Here in the U.S? We have comply with DOT regulations regarding headlight level. I would check your regulations before attempting to adjust the headlights. FWIW some of the GenIII model Fives came with their LED headlights pointed too low to be useful.

8. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Our equivalent is Australian Design Rule ADR 46/00. :)

Inspection regimes are different in different states, here in NSW once a car is five years old it must have an annual safety inspection before registration can be renewed. This is at least supposed to be checked. I'm sure it's also meant to be an inspection item on every scheduled service.

9. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Found this on my headlamp and this adjustment screw that does nothing. Will keep looking

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure it does nothing? Did you have the car facing a wall about 25' away so you could watch the headlight beam move when you turned the screw?

11. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, nothing I could discern and this is turning the nut with a wrench. Did not try too far as I might shear that nylon screw off

12. Robs43

Robs43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

13. Robs43

Robs43 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    As I understand it the LED is much brighter so in Australia at least they are regarded as unsafe to be used as the high beam light source. Toyota has fitted traditional, lower intensity filament lamps ( yellow light) to provide light for highlighting the road and surroundings well ahead of the car.
    The high intensity LED lights do continue to illuminated the road surface in front of the car when the high beam is switched on.
    High intensity xenon lamps fitted to Audi and BMW etc cars have the same brightness limitation as the LED lamps but the Xenons use much more power when operating.

14. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I'm not familiar with LED headlights elsewhere in the world, but there is no doubting that here they are very very bright - although by the same token they have a very well defined cutoff point which appears as a very clearly defined line.

To be honest - around the city they are great, though I have concerns when crests/ramps/etc. do cause them to shine into other drivers' eyes - I know from being on the receiving end of this that it is very difficult to see anything when this occurs.

In the country I'm not sure I'm convinced they are so great as I fear they negatively impact your night vision.

The other oddity is that they overwhelm the fog lights - you can barely see if the fogs are on or off in normal conditions, though this is probably a good thing as using fog lights when fog is not present is illegal here. Whenever I do end up driving in fog it will be interesting to try out, though I'm pleased to see this car will allow use of fog lights without the LED lights being on (just the parking lights), as I suspect this may be more effective in fog.