1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for Zaino users

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ZC1, May 24, 2008.

1. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm laboriously working on my 2nd coat of Zaino and I have some questions for the knowledgeable people.

I'm using Z2pro with ZFX, letting it dry 30 minutes, then wipe it off with dry towel, and applying Z6, and immediately wiping. The Z6 does seem slightly prismatic.

1. Instructions say use 1/2 ounce or less for the entire car, when I get close to that amount I can't even see that I'm laying down any haze at all, except in the first 1ft square. I'm using magnifying glasses and angling the light, so I'm wondering if I'm applying any at all over most of the car. What a waste of time if I'm not applying enough.

2. Does having it done in my open garage, with less direct outdoor heat/light, make any difference?

3. I have the wrong color for this probably. If the 1st coat of Zaino did anything it turned my car Super White, but I think that's the color I started with so I'd like to think it's actually doing something, but who can tell with White. <grin>

4. How many coats must I put on to see the miraculous results, or lack thereof? (This is hard work, heh).

5. My wife said "The roof looks shinier", but I told her it still has unwiped haze all over it. Even she couldn't tell. Anybody do this on Super White?

6. Last question, if it doesn't get any better looking, at least it might get better gas mileage, ya think?
    ;)

ZC1
    (secretly hoping someone else is doing the Zaino treatment today, misery loves company)

2. bobryeNH

bobryeNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I did two coats on my 2006 Prius and the finish easily weathered a tough New England winter and is still looking good. I'll treat it to a fresh coat in the coming weeks to celebrate summer.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You don't really see the Z6 when you put it on, it's afterword when the car is so smooth and shiny that you know it did something. I think you're working too hard.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's obvious from your post that you're applying the product way too heavily.

5. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nah, only used a tad over 1/2 ounce for the first coat over the entire vehicle.
    The 2nd coat took less than 1/2 ounce.
    The 3rd coat for tonight I applied a little more heavily so I could at least see a faint haze.
    Tomorrow (today) I will take that off and possibly add another one.
    I'm beginning to see the results into the 3rd coat, either that or I'm high on the smell.

Time for bed, it's 2am.

ZC1

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Results supposedly are cumulative with each coat, but I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns. The most I've applied is three.

The most common mistake in application, from what both Zaino and forum reports suggest, is applying it too thick. I would think the un-buffed Z2 would be harder to see on white than on any other color, so I suggest not trying to apply any more than the instructions suggest just to see a noticeable haze.

IIRC, the instructions suggest the surface be cool, whether in direct sunlight or shade. As long as outside temp is above the minimum (50F?), you should be OK with either. But then, I don't know how the surface can stay too cool on a warm day in direct sunlight, so I generally do mine in the shade. That also keeps me from sweating quite as much. ;)

It's not that you have the "wrong color" for Zaino. IMHO, the optical quality of any good polish or wax seems to stand out more on certain colors. For the Prius, based on pics I've seen here, Barcelona Red and black look especially good with a properly applied Zaino treatment. For other colors, including my Seaside Pearl, the effects seem a little more subtle. I would think white would be in the latter category. My fiancee has a gold-colored Corolla, very similar to the Prius Driftwood Pearl. A good Zaino treatment on that didn't seem to have much effect, though it was still pretty new when I gave it the treatment.

But as others have suggested, it's not only the optical quality Zaino provides; it's the durability. Six months after application, my finish still beads water.

7. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In closing, I think the Zaino application pad is absorbing a lot of the polish.

Other than the first square foot, I'm simply rubbing an almost absorbed pink spot of polish on the applicator over the car. I'm using overhead lights and magnifying glasses to check my work, so there's no way I'm overapplying.

The Huh?? moment comes when the instructions say 1/2 ounce or less is the amount I should use and I look at my 2 ounce Zaino mixing bottle and think "Fill the bottle to half and only use half of that", which might work on a convertible corvette, but it ain't covering a Prius, roof and all.

I think the Zaino instructions are just generic, in terms of the amount of polish needed to be used. Again, I'm using so little of the polish, I can't even see a streak or feel any resistance due to invisible wet polish.

Thanks for the replies guys.

ZC1

8. strider5

strider5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    couple tips from a long time zaino user...

water your Z6 down 1:1 or 2:1 Z6:water with distilled water. you accomplish 2 things: extend a pricey product, and make it much easier to apply without applying way too much.

next, spritz your applicator with the watered-down Z6 very lightly before each panel. not "wet", but damp. this will make even, thin coats far easier.

finally, let everything dry longer than reccomended. I dont use ZFX, but when I apply Z2pro, I generally dont remove it for 4-8 hours. Many times I've let it sit overnight in my garage. this makes streaks and haziness a non-issue since the zaino is entirely cured.

when you run out of ZFX or Z2, check out Z-CS. it is far superior from what I can tell thus far (used it on 2 cars).

9. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you for the great response Strider.

The situation isn't with the Z6, (I have two spray bottles of that and don't use much at all), it's the pink Z2pro with ZFX I'm using. A dime sized amount doesn't go very far, and the Prius can eat up a lot of dimes, more than 1/2 ounce.

I'm spraying the applicator pad with Z6 and applying it slowly as if it was being absorbed into the door panels. No complaints here.
    Z6 is super easy to use. Although it's got some strange smell that I find myself sniffing occasionally.

I also bought the Z-CS to apply once everything is done, this weekend.

ZC1

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I Zainoed both my Prius last week when the weather was nice (back to 65° F and rainy again now). I used Z2 and ZFX, filling the little bottle half full of Z2 and adding 4 drops of ZFX. With that amount I did two coats on one car. Then I mixed up the same amount and did the other car twice.

You need to really be sparing in the amount of Zaino you use, so you almost can't tell you've applied anything. Both my cars are silver, so like your white one, it's really hard to see it haze. I just put it on and cover all surfaces even though I can't see it. I wait as long as it says for the polish to dry and cure, then a little longer. When I wipe it down and use the finish spray, the cars gleam.

11. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What they said brother. use it sparingly and it is better than using it too heavy. Lots of light coats are better than one thick one. You can give the car 3 coats before you need to wait 24 hours unless you use the ZFX. I think I have 6 or 8 coats of z5 and 3 or 4 of Z2 with the Z6 or the new one (cannot remember its name/number) in between each coat. look for my album on the site for pretty decent pics. I really got good lighting on the back of my red Prii and it shows the glossy plastic layer coating. really great stuff. addictive however. I expect to put another coat or two on it each and every friday or two.

You see, the zino gets into your blood stream thru your skin then you are hooked ! Sal Zaino knew what he was doing!