1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question from a Gen3 Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by iskoos, Nov 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well all I wanted to find out was one simple thing and it seems I have started a war here.

I just do not like when the ICE must start itself when I am not going to drive the vehicle. Yes, I know I can power on the electronics by NOT pressing the brake while powering it on. However sometimes I do want to move the car and I am not driving down the street to a grocery store. It is just to move it for a few feet. ICE doesn't need to come on and waste gas to warm up the catalytic converters. The engine doesn't need to be lubricated and fully warmed up for what I wanted to do. And my battery is never depleted down to 2 bars. So there is some juice in it.

Yes, there is an EV button but it is a "hit or miss". It will come one with only 3 bars when you not expecting it. Also it will NOT come on even with 4-5 bars. I couldn't find a consistency on that. It is a moody button.

I just want to be able to move my car in and out of the garage sometimes and I don't need the ICE. This AutoStart is something I dislike very much on Gen3. I thought maybe it has changed on Gen4. That's why I asked.

Thanks

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no worries, don't take internet postings the wrong way. it can be hard to determine intent. i think we would all like to know definitively if gen 4 has different cold start behavior than gen 3, and not just everyones individual experiences.

and most of us agree that it would be nice if toyota programmed a minute or two delay under a certain speed so we could move a cold car around without the engine starting and going through the warm up cycle, or having to be shut down prematurely.

it has been a complaint as long as i have been a member, and some thought the ev button on gen 3 would solve it, but no dice.

3. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the input bisco. I thought I would get more inputs from Gen4 guys on this. After a day, I don't think I am fully satisfied with the answers yet.
    I will ask my roommate to test this again one of these mornings (I will record the engine temp as well) if I can catch him before driving to work and report back.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In a case where the engine will start up when you put a 4th Gen Prius in "ready", say due to low ambient temp:

What is the grace period, from push of start button to engine start up?

On 3rd Gen it's about 15 seconds.

5. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I've had mine start in 3 or 4 seconds. I know I have to hit that EV Mode button quickly if I want the best chance of driving off silently.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Yeah, I'd guess about 5 seconds, quicker than my old Gen 3 and Prius+ (V) were.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay. Fresh update for you guys.
    I walked out with my roommate a few minutes ago. His car 2016 Prius Two Eco was parked overnight. He powered it up. The A/C was on. I asked him to turn it off. Battery was showing 6 out of 8 bars. We waited for about 2 minutes and no ICE start.
    I also measured the engine block temp and it showed around 71F (We are in Florida. So not much winter over here!..)
    Then he drove off in all electric and the ICE didn't kick in. And all of this was without the EV button touched.

So now when I went back to the first page, I see someone said the engine must be over 68F. I will have him repeat this test one last time when we get a cold front (Hopefully we won't wait too long:)) to make sure engine block temp is under 68F. If the ICE still doesn't start, then I will call it. I have the feeling it won't start.

My Gen3 Prius III would have gloriously started the ICE under these circumstances.
    Not sure if Toyota engineers did this on purpose or not but they changed something on Gen4 in a positive way as I see.

Thanks

Tande likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting stuff, thanks!

i hope to be in orlando in january, let's hope it doesn't cool down too much:p

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They changed something, yes, and it seems like they are using the battery more aggressively. It's a balancing act, and hopefully they haven't gone too far.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but why haven't others reported so obvious and dramatic a change?

i would think this would have been all over the boards the first summer, it is a huge change, if true.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A lot of new adopters? I really think this more aggressive battery use is key to the 4th gen's mpg stats.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the engine is more efficient

li-on in most models

13. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But remember that the battery is now Lithium (on most Gen4 trim models I think. Definitely on Eco model). Lithium cells are way ahead of Nickel Metal Hydrates when it comes it efficiency and discharge rate.
    They also downsized the capacity. It is now 0.75KWh compared 1.3 KWh what we have in Gen3.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The warmup never seemed strange to me considering that it fits probably 99% of startup situations. Normally when you start your car you will be driving somewhere and unless you have switched to EV you will be needing ICE relatively soon after startup. However even in those cases you also don't need it in the first few seconds because you are normally either starting from your garage, parked on a residential street, or in a parking lot, which means in almost every case you will start out moving fairly slow. But usually within a minute or two you will be hitting the gas as you pull onto an actual road and have to accelerate. So I just assumed they thought it was better to get the gas engine started ahead of time so that it would be ready when needed at full power. And maybe also better for the life of the engine and/or battery. Obviously some individual owners may have a different situation at times but again I would think 99% of startups overall fall into one of those categories.

So it is interesting if it has changed. Either they decided after all of the years of experience that the warmup never really was needed, or maybe it is related to changes in engine and battery that now make the warmup unnecessary.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The top speed threshold for electric-only was increased a lot too. Our 3rd gen invariably kicks in the engine around 72 kmh (~45 mph). Four gen is a lot higher?

(I have a long/steep downhill where I can see this, eastbound at the west end of the Barnett highway. Speed is 60 kmh at top of the hill, it drops for almost a km I think, and just beyond the bottom the speed limit is 80. Just momentum, and the slightest touch on the gas to dispel regen, and you'll free-roll past that 72 kmh barrier, see consumption meter tick on, and feel the engine.)

Since2002 likes this.
  16. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the temps around here in NE Ohio are in the low 30s (Fahrenheit) today like they have been for a few days at least. As soon as I got in the car this morning to back out of the garage (around 40 degrees I would guess) and put the car in reverse, the engine started. That's the same engine behavior as has been the case ever since the outside temperature has been less than what the temperature has been set at for the car's hvac system (set on Auto).

#36 dbf, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    see post 2

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, can you expound?

19. dbf

dbf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as the top speed for the electric motor only power, I've been able to cruise at 60 to 65 MPH on the expressway routinely if I power up to that speed with the engine and then then back off the accelerator pedal and subsequently apply just enough pressure to hold the speed constant. Of course at this speed, you need to be on level or a downward slope for this technique to work for more than a few seconds. I believe that same technique of "accelerate and glide" is why I was able to consistently get around 65 MPG consistently at least up until the weather turned colder. The engine now runs more often just to heat the cabin and I'm only getting around 57 MPG.

#39 dbf, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and how about the thread question, cold start ev?