1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question: Humming sound after 60mph, speeds up when accelerating, more

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rtotheichard, May 16, 2016.

1. rtotheichard

rtotheichard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, all. Hope you're all well.

Now, I don't know if this sound has always been there and I just now noticed it (have had my 2012 Prius Two a year now), or if it's something that just came up.

THE DETAILS
    Humming sound that begins around 60MPH and accelerates with vehicle acceleration and slows down during deacceleration. At first I mistook it for highway noise of cars around me.

It sounds like it's either coming from under the hood on the passenger side, or from the passenger side front wheel area.

The sound happens during all forms of drive, and it happens whether or not the AC or heater are running.

I don't notice it while turning, perhaps because I'm not going fast when taking turns.

I feel no change in how the car handles, nor have I noticed any difference in vehicle mileage efficiency.

The car recently received an oil change and tire rotation about a week ago. This included an inspection, and nothing was noted to be damaged or otherwise.

I noticed the sound this weekend.

I tried recording the sound but no luck.

What say you? I'll begin Googling about for more information, but wanted to bring it up in its own thread.

Thanks!

#1 rtotheichard, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    wheel bearing ir bad tire

3. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hub, dragging brake, bad tire. Any one or all of these.
    I had a dragging brake (seized caliper) and a bad hub on one wheel on my 2010.

Hub was the worst. It was tolerable for several months.....but just got so bad that the hum was there at even lower speeds.

4. rtotheichard

rtotheichard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies. I'll do some investigating to see what's what. Cheers!