1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question of CARB states battery warranty.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by RYRYM1984, Jun 3, 2013.

1. RYRYM1984

RYRYM1984 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I'm looking at a Prius that was originally sold in NY state but ended up registered in PA. Another car was sold and remained registered in NJ. According to the salesman of the PA car the higher battery warranty doesn't apply because the vehicle was registered in PA thus the warranty is remainder of 8 years / 100,000 miles. Per the NJ salesman that car also doesn't qualify because Toyota does not honor the CARB state extended warranty to anyone but the original owner.

Are both salesmen correct - the information I find of the CARB warranty is confusing. I'm concerned about how and if it transfers to a second owner.

Thanks!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is quite clearly explained in the Toyota warranty (which someone posted here somewhere when I had these same questions). Basically you are covered if your car is CARB certified and you live in CARB state. So if PA is not CARB then you get the lesser standard. But I think the NJ salesman argument original owner thing is incorrect, but someone chime in.

What state are you in? Come to think of it, I downloaded the Toyota warranty (attached).

Attached Files:

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The balance of any factory warranty follows the current owner of the car until the expiration date.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With the exception of AZ, any year after the Model Year listed is also covered.
    MY 2004 California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Vermont
    MY 2005 Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Rhode Island
    MY 2007 Maryland
    MY 2008 Oregon, Pennsylvania*
    MY 2009 Washington*
    MY 2011 New Mexico
    MY 2011, 2012 only Arizona
    (these are my best guess, I invite corrections)

* not all warranty provisions apply

5. RYRYM1984

RYRYM1984 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Connecticut here and thank you for the responses.

Although not all factory warranties are the same. Unless it has been changed recently Hyundai/Kia change the 10 year / 100,000 powertrain warranty down to remained for 5 years / 60,000 miles for the second owner of a car.