1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on 8 year/100k hybrid component warrenty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius-Forever, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Prius-Forever

Prius-Forever New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking about buying an '04 with 58k miles on it. What exactly does the 'Hybrid component' warranty cover? Just the battery or the complete hybrid system (including regenerative braking, inverters, battery, etc.)

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that the 96 months/100,000 miles hybrid system warranty covers the following components:

- Hybrid Battery

- Hybrid Battery Control Computer

- Hybrid Control Computer

- Inverter with Converter

But in California and so-called CARB states, the Hybrid Battery is warrantied for even longer -- 120 months/150,000 miles. In this regard, I don't think you get this longer warranty for the battery unless the car was initially sold new in California or a CARB state.

3. Cactuscoug

Cactuscoug CactusCoug

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe that the extended warranty is based upon where the car is registered. We live in Arizona and thought about purchasing our Prius in California and driving it home for the increased 150,000 mile warranty. Toyota said that wouldn't work.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The CA warranty is based upon:

1) buying the car new in CA (or another state that adopted CA regs), and

2) licensing the car in that state

5. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I looked in our warranty book to see what is different for California. The difference is really centered on emissions control. It says that if you fail a smog-check test at any time during the first 15 years or 150,000 miles all necessary repairs and adjustments will be made by Toyota to ensure that your vehicle passes the test. This is the Emission Control System Performance Warranty. It goes on to say that if any emissions related part is defective, the part will be repaired or replaced by Toyota. This is the Emission Control System Defect Warranty. As a footnote to this warranty is the statement: Warranty coverage for the hybrid battery is 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first. From what I can see, all other aspects of the warranty are the same for California vehicles as those in the other 49. Patrick is correct in his statement about what is a California vehicle. The warranty book says the vehicle must be equipped with a California Certified Emissions Control System. And it must be registered and operated in California.

6. Prius-Forever

Prius-Forever New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The standard warrenty for 2nd gens is 8 year/100ki miles; which is in the owner's manual. I believe the 150k miles is an extended warranty option only. Anyone know for sure?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does your maintenance and warranty book have a page titled: "Parts List: Long Term Emission Defect Warranty"? (this is page 22 in the 2007 book)

That page lists many parts, including:

ECM
    Throttle body
    Intake manifold and intake air surge tank
    Catalytic converter
    Exhaust front pipe
    Exhaust manifold
    Fuel tank
    Battery control computer
    Generator (aka MG1)
    Hybrid battery
    Hybrid control computer
    Inverter with converter
    Motor (aka MG2)
    Coolant heat storage tank

(italicized notes are my comments)

All of the parts on the above list are covered for 15 years / 150K miles except the hybrid battery which is covered for 10 years / 150K miles. This is the standard warranty in CA, no additional price need be paid for that coverage. (If the maintenance/warranty book does not show this list, it is likely that vehicle was not originally sold in CA.)

Owners in those states that do not follow CA vehicle emissions regs have a maximum warranty of 8 years / 100K miles on the hybrid battery and other hybrid parts listed by Boo above; while the other parts on that list will be covered by the 5 year / 60K mile powertrain warranty.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 10 years/150,000 miles warranty for the hybrid battery is NOT an optional extended warranty. It's as we have been telling you -- it applies to cars sold new and registered (thanks Pat) in California and CARB states.

From my 2007 Prius Warranty Booklet (zoom in or increase view to 150% or more if necessary):

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22998&d=1272164775[/IMGLINK]

Attached Files:

9. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Patrick, Our '08 warranty booklet shows the extensive parts list you displayed (p. 23 in our bk) However, it is shown under the section that pertains to Pennsylvania Vehicles Only. The header for the parts list is "Parts List: Long-Term Emission Defect Warranty (Pennsylvania Vehicles Only)"

10. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Per our warranty book, the 150k warranty is not an extended warranty option for vehicles purchased new in CA, registered in CA, operated in CA. It's the standard warranty for such vehicles as mandated by the State of CA. For our '08 we have this warranty and paid nothing extra for it.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :confused:

Hi David,

I assume that you bought your car new, in CA. Is it possible that the wrong warranty/maintenance book was shipped with your car by mistake?

12. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Patrick, Your assumption about purchase location is accurate. We bought the car, new. in CA. Also, you are correct, it is always a possibility that we received an improper warranty booklet. As I look at the warranty book, it appears to me Toyota offers one book for all vehicles in the U.S. This warranty book covers vehicles purchased in states where the federal regs apply as well as states which have "unique" regulations. What puzzles me is why you might think the book we received is inaccurate. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this issue. As an AZ resident, I thank you for taking the time to consider the warranty implications for those of us in CA and other states which impose the California Air Resources Board requirements.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi David,

I lived in CA for 38 years and recently moved to AZ last year, so I remain interested in what's going on in the Golden State.

I have a scanned page of the 2007 CA maintenance/warranty book but it would consume 4 MB of my precious file storage allocation here, so I won't post it. Anyway, that page 22 has the heading "California Emission Control Warranty" and the subheading "Parts List: Long Term Emission Defect Warranty".

Since Pennsylvania is only one of several Eastern states that have copied CA emissions regs, I see no reason for the book you possess to specify PA's parts list unless the book had been intended solely for PA customers.

14. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Patrick, Inclusion of the PA list is a bit of a mystery. Likewise, the absence in our book of the Parts List you have which applies to California vehicles bothers me. That said, as I read the California Emission Control Warranty details, it says this applies to CA, CT, ME, MA, NH, NJ, NY, OR, RI, and VT. Then under a completely separate heading it discusses the warranty for PA vehicles. The PA warranty is not nearly as generous. For example, the PA warranty only requires Toyota to cover smog tests for 3 yrs or 50k miles. The other identified states have 15 yrs or 150k miles. Plus, the PA warranty divides coverage into short term and long term. The long term is only 70k and is only for specific parts. The warranty for the other states is far more beneficial. Rather than listing specific parts, the warranty for the other states says "if any emissions related part is defective, the part will be repaired or replaced." So, for example, in PA the catalytic converter is covered only for 70k. In CA and the other states it's coverd for 15 yrs or 150k.

The only way I can explain the inclusion of the items specific to Pennsylvania is that Toyota produces only one warranty book for all vehicles sold in the US. So they include items required by California, Pennsylvania, and any other entity that might pass certain legislation. As further evidence of this, on p.11 of our bk is a statement warranting seat belts in Kansas for 10 yrs, regardless of mileage. While you and I only get 5yrs or 60k mi. On page 8 of our bk, under the header Which Vehicles Are Covered, is the following: These warranties apply to all 2008 model-year Prius vehicles registered and normally operated in the United States, U.S territories and Canada. I've gone thru the book and there are numerous references (pp. 5, 7, 14, 19, 21, 22, 24) to CA and the Air Resources Board, so it seems like this book is pertinent to CA owners. I chalk up the differences between our respective editions to yours being a 2007 and mine an '08. The part # for our bk is 00505-08TWB-PRIUS. Print date was 7/07. BTW, thanks for all your postings. I appreciate how you so readily share your knowledge of these great cars. David