1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on brake rotors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ALS, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is something new to me. I've owned Volvo's since 1981 and never once did my dealer ever tell me that I had to have the rotors machined because I'm replacing the brake pads. A Volvo tech I know who's been working on Volvo's for over thirty years, said he could count the times he has seen the brake rotor cutting unit at his dealer used on one hand.

The Toyota dealer on the other hand said that it is required when you replace the pads.

What is the deal with this?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is not required to do but since the brake pads on the Prius lasts over 100k miles, you wouldn't have to do it that many times. I would recommend doing it just because you want it to be perfect for the next 100k miles.

3. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in hill country and my front pads are at 3mm. 100K miles, I'd kill to get that out of my front pads. 44K miles on the car.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just did a DIY replacement of the rear pads. I just removed the rotors and went over them with fine steel wool. I'd had some light scoring on the outer face of one rotor, and on both the inners had a rusty zone, for about the inner 50%. I'm thinking the latter was due to the piston's cross pattern shifting on the pad, causing uneven pressure. Long story short: ~500 km's later, everything looks fine, discs uniformly shiny, minimal drag, not running hot.

OTOH, I can see the dealership's rational. They likely want to avoid potential problems, so just machine them all. Not sure what to say..., it does seem a little dodgy that they're insisting on it, saying it's a necessity.

Rear Brake Concerns | PriusChat

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    listen to mendel, he is the brake MAN!(y)

dorunron likes this.
  6. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's the same logic used for alignment recommendations when replacing four tires. You would want to ensure any irregularities are taken care of to extend the life of the replacement wear items as much as possible.

Not required, but purely prophylactic. Besides, as Mendel intimated, if they didn't machine the rotors and the new pads didn't last as long (or wear as evenly) as the old ones, you'd be in there hopping mad with the bespoke "Nobody told me..."

The dealership is requiring it as SOP because they don't want to deal with the fallout and subsequent crap from customers.

7. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I used to replace my own brakes and rotors in my previous clunkers. Normally i'd just slap in the new pads or rotors and go. But when replacing only the pads, i'd see shallow circular groves on my rotors. Probably those rotor grooves and ridges would easily eat my pads faster than if the pads had a flat surface to hold on to.

Since I didn't have the proper tools and knew I can easily replace the cheap pads if it wore out sooner, i just ignored them. Tongue in cheek - I figured once those ridges and grooves shaped the surface of my pads i actually would get more surface contacts (lol). Or even if i ruined both my pad and rotors, a pair of cheap pads and rotors cost me less than $100 anyway. Then i got smarter and just replaced both pads and rotors at the same time regardless of condition.

If your dealer has the proper machine and for the price you pay, I'd go on with it. I imagine all used rotors have microscopic ridges and grooves no matter how smooth they look. That way, your pads would last longer.

8. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After years of just replacing pads - I now replace rotors AND pads at the same time when needed. Up here in Minnesota, you would be surprised at how rusty wheel components can get. A lot of local brake shops will NOT turn rotors anymore.

chrisj428 likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The price of rotors have come down a lot, sometimes it's the same price as turning a rotor vs replacement. I would also change the rotors and pads at the same time. It takes more than 120k miles to wear them out on the Prius....just once is enough for me.

10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not good advice, in my opinion.

The rotors on these small cars don't have a lot of spare thickness.
    If and only IF the rotors are damaged, I recommend replacement.
    If they do not have significant damage, they should be left ALONE.

Turning the rotors routinely is "required" only to increase the shop's income.

tankyuong likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not a "routine" if done once every 100K+ miles. For me, it's once in a lifetime :)

Yes I do agree you should not mess with rotors unless they are damaged and scored.

12. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Close but not really. You can SEE damage to rotors and measure the thickness.
    You can almost never "see" an alignment problem without putting it on the machine.

If you have been paying attention to the wear on the old set of tires you are taking off and there has been no abnormal wear, the odds are good that an alignment really is not needed either.

13. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks guys for your insight. I'm going to go with the full service which includes machining the rotors just to be safe.

Al

chrisj428 likes this.
  14. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Al, ask them how much it costs to machine them and how much more to replace them. If it is a matter of only around $30 difference, get them to replace it instead.

15. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Guys just an update,

I took the car in yesterday to get the front pads replaced (44.7K miles). Had a coupon so it was only $189 for the service which made me a happy guy. The tech said the rotors were in great shape and they didn't need to machine them so I saved some money. They even threw in new wipers all around for $7.99 each. I couldn't buy them that cheap at an Advanced Auto by me.

Thanks again for all your help.

Al

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats al, and thanks for letting us know!(y)

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure why it's required to change your pads so early. They last over 100k miles

Andyprius1 likes this.
  18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . On my 2005, I could see no wear on either rotors or pads after over 100K miles, actual friction brakes are not supposed to work until 8 mph. I am in CA so my situation may be totally different weather wise. It is a good idea to use the brakes in neutral at a low speed from time to time just to take any slight rust coating off.

19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . On the Prius, I believe they last forever. I quit worrying about them.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At 48500 km on ours and had a look while swapping to snows, I didn't measure but the front pads were noticeably thinner than new, maybe 6mm remaining. Maybe 7mm. We're very easy on them.