1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on cooling channel difference in transmission

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Warelan, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Warelan

Warelan New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    At this point, I am down to either keeping the current transmission because I think it is related to a possible head gasket issue that was present or not.... engine is out, I can do a leak down test with the engine out - but will not be putting it on a stand or wasn't planning on it but can pull the stand out and set it up. Pulling the head off isn't to far off from where it is at if people feel I can identify the leak on these passing the head gasket with a visual inspection. Normally I see some indication else where, but again - I am here to ask for opinions. This is no longer my day job, I stopped being a mechanic just over 20 years ago and went into a computer science degree after I screwed up my back from a car accident and couldn't wrench full time. Not sure if this uses a copper, steel, or composet head gasket and/or a combination and if it would show signs of seepage (would think it would) as I haven't been inside of one of these little 1.8l.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Borescope process
    Car Care Nut HG Borescope at 7:40

Worse case approaching
    Shudder video

3. Warelan

Warelan New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Well pulling the head will likely tell me little at this point - I pulled the plugs and number 3 is oil soaked. Turning the engine by hand you can feel the problem in bottom end... I am going to guess it was a head gasket feeling it as it is more something actually broke vs wearing out. I would also guess the engine was shimmying as they show in the start of the second video here from time to time. As I am not the one driving it daily it is hard to say if it was or wasn't and if it was how long it might have been doing that. I know the noise in the transmision wasn't present with a shimmy however based on discussions I am going to go with most likely loss of engine was head gasket. Thus the transmission is more likely related.

Next will be how to deal with the vendor to get him to swap the transmission to the correct one to put on the shelf, as I will be putting mine back onto the new engine.

My wife puts about 300-350 miles on this little car a day you wouldn't know it by looking at it thankfully, I still have to love the little thing...at least she isn't doing the drive she was doing where it was an oil change every 10 days... that sucked...(yes that was 5000 miles)

Thank you for the responses and videos to work through this...

#23 Warelan, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  4. Warelan

Warelan New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Well everything is back together but I haven't been able to test everything as now I am getting a p3004-800 going to double check the low voltage connections here in a few to the inverter - as I have already checked the high voltage connections. Not sure why all of the sudden the inverter would stop working after reinstalling everything.

Any ideas why that might have started happening most posts are saying just replace the inverter.... it was working prior to the swap - not against getting another one at all... just odd that it started happening and want to make sure I am not seeing it with a replacement.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The inverter should be covered free by Toyota. Well known issue. Don't open it or Toyota may deny coverage. My inverter failed years ago without warning stranding me and my wife a hundred miles from home.

There is a good possibility you can get towing and rental reimbursement as well from a supplemental class action settlement. Notices were sent to registered owners. Be sure you are listed as the owner with Toyota.

Put the car completely together first.

IMG_0413.jpeg

6. Warelan

Warelan New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just had it towed over to the toyota dealership - I am waiting for a call back on it, I didn't open it up - they said when I dropped it off the recall is only a "software update" however reading the bulletin it pointed right back to that same thing you posted here. So we will see as I haven't had that service done to my car as of yet they were able to confirm that prior to getting it towed over.