1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on the EGR cleaning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by paphillyman, May 13, 2019.

1. paphillyman

paphillyman Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    before you start unhooking the coolant lines to disconnect the cooler , I've read you can drain like a quart of coolant out so you don't have to bother with any coolant mess , but when you are done and you put the coolant back in , has anyone had any check engine lights come on from too much air in the coolant lines ? or should you put the car in maintance mode and run it like you did a coolant change?

Ong likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That was probably me. Yeah, I'm not sure how much you need to drain, but I guessed 2 liters (or quarts) would be plenty, and that worked out. Keep in mind a small amount of coolant is trapped at the back corner of the cooler: just be careful not to tip it when lifting off.

When everything was reassembled, I poured the coolant into the reservoir (it was quite low once drained, but not completely empty) and the level ended up a little high, maybe 1/2" higher than at the outset, at the most.

As I was pouring it back in I burped a few of the big coolant hoses within reach. I also, left the air-bleed bolt open. That's on a hose, just above the cooler, on 2010~2011 model years. In 2012 Toyota deleted the air-bleed bolt, not sure why. Still, I would think of you just disconnected a hose, right at the former bleed bolt location, and quickly reinstalled when coolant started coming out (as you refill), it would accomplish the same thing.

With a day or two driving the car, the coolant level settled back to normal, with no further intervention (say running the car in maintenance mode), and I didn't get any codes.

#3 Mendel Leisk, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. paphillyman

paphillyman Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yes I have watched NutzaboutBoltz videos , saved me lots of money too

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.