1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on Trim selection and mods/customizing

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by prius_newb, Dec 29, 2014.

1. prius_newb

prius_newb New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I'm looking to buy a 2015 Prius in the next week or so, and I originally was trying to decide on a Three or Four trim. However, after finding this forum and being impressed by the wealth of mods and customization available, I'm wondering how basic a trim I should purchase and just add the mods of my own liking.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations about options that would need to come from the dealer (i.e. the navigation/touchscreen or solar roof)?
    2. Does the standard touchscreen have any proprietary features that I would lose if I upgraded the head unit to an aftermarket (would I lose AC control, hybrid engine diagnostics, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm considering getting a Three with a solar roof installed at the dealer and install turn signals into the side view mirrors and upgrade the rearview mirror myself, but just wanted to double-check first

2. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I started with the Three trim and just upgraded to all the options I wanted from the Four and Five trim. I actually saved money by finding deals and help from people on Prius Chat. Great bunch of people here.

Enjoy your new ride... When you get it. (y)

WilDavis and prius_newb like this.
  3. prius_newb

prius_newb New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggest Burna, I saw your mods and they look amazing. Another question I had was whether upgrading the touchscreen would cause me to lose functionality.

Thanks

4. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i believe you may lose the steering wheel controls.

6. sfprankster

sfprankster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A PAC SWI-RC programmable interface maintains all the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit.