1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on using 2nd Gen Prius as Home Generator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tan_Prius_2007, Dec 27, 2022.

1. Tan_Prius_2007

Tan_Prius_2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, why would you want to use your Prius as a generator? Why Not! I don't want another 2-cycle motor in my garage that only gets used once every 6 years and requires a tank of gas per day to power my fridge in addition to the noise that goes with gas powered generators.

Question: Hypothetically speaking, could I plug the extension power cable from the inverter into a 20Amp receptacle in my garage back feeding 120v into house electrical wiring.

Step 1) Turn main breaker off to house at the panel
    Step 2) Turn off all 40amp breakers along with 20Amp breakers not needed on the main breaker panel
    Step 3) Patch extension cord from 1000/2000 Watt inverter located in the rear cargo area of the Prius into a 110/120v receptacle in the garage to back feed power into house to the breakers that are left on.

Note: I live alone in a 1600 sq ft house and only occupy 2 rooms, so isolated power to sources is not a concern as well as obvious safety issues as I would be the only one over seeing the setup and tear down. I heat with gas logs in event of power outage.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hypothetically speaking, you could do something like that. You'd be making the connection using a mutant extension cord that's a plug on both ends, meaning you would have exposed prongs supplying voltage, and of course you can in theory be careful enough to avoid getting into trouble with that, but it's got a strong "hold my beer" quality.

Chances are your breaker panel distributes the 120 VAC breakers over the two legs of incoming 240/120. You will only get power on those circuits that sit on the same leg as the receptacle you backfeed.

You can use a 2000 watt inverter in the car and possibly get a bit more surge starting capacity with it, but you have to understand the car can't give you sustained power from the 12 volt system in excess of around 1000 or 1200 watts.

If you need to sustain a larger load than that, you could look at the thread below.

Electric power from a hybrid, connecting inverter to the high-voltage system | PriusChat

Tan_Prius_2007 and SFO like this.
  3. Tan_Prius_2007

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply, I was hoping to avoid the mutant aka 'suicide drop cord' by using a 120v male receptacle from Amazon, maybe install it in one of the unused receptacles in the basement. Good point on the isolation in the main panel of the house, didn't think about that, it appears my kitchen outlets are split, so I'll need to verify which outlets are on each side of the panel. Kitchen is important giving my router and security panel are located there as well.

I just installed a new HV battery I purchased from my local Toyota dealer for $1600 back in 2021, my 2007 has 207k miles on it so excited about getting the chance to use it for something other than short distance to work and back. I like the idea of using the HV battery but we don't get that many power outages here so may hold off on that for now.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, well then you'd still have live voltage on exposed pins at that receptacle. That might be marginally safer than having a male-male cord lying around, but on the other hand it means the Dangerous Thing has been deliberately built into your house and isn't just a random loose item sitting there.

Could be a weird conversation with insurance if anything ever happened.

The proper way to use the receptacle you linked would include an interlock switch fitted such that you could have your main breaker on OR you could have that receptacle on, but never both at the same time.

This protects more than you realize: If you accidentally forget to cut off your main breaker, you have the potential to backfeed power across the neighborhood. The transformer outside which has been cheerfully stepping down voltage into your home will just as cheerfully step your inverter power up to very high voltages, potentially endangering electricians working to fix overhead lines etc.

The inconvenient moment of a power outage is the wrong time to abandon safe practices in handling electricity. Dead wrong.

Tan_Prius_2007 likes this.
  5. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Back feeding power is NEVER a good idea, best to temporarily run extension cords from critical appliances to the inverter.

PlugOut Power has developed an inverter to connect to a Prius for home use. I don't know much about the company, but here's the link if anyone is interested. HOME | PlugOut Power, Generator for hybrid vehicles | United States

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  7. Tan_Prius_2007

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Good points mentioned Leadfoot, I've been hanging an extension cord out the window down to the Prius to power fridge and small appliances and may continue to do that until I can find further info on the HV solution referenced in Ammdb's reply to this thread.

8. Tan_Prius_2007

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    While there are downsides you've certainly discovered, that's the right way to do it until you commit to something properly built in and up to code.

10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    here's a tube that explains how to semi safely install the equipment needed when backfeeding generator power into the homes electrical service. The manual way using the fixture posted above from amazon.
    youtu.be/I_fxXGb8t_k?t=56

there are other more automated more complex. safer ways to setup the transfer. The video above is a good place to get started - imo - researching your generator hookup strategy.

Keep in mind - it might not pass code where you live, so be sure to check if it does pass code before you install it.