1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question Regarding Wiper?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darkgiant, May 11, 2015.

1. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I come from a family of happy Prius owners, I decided to sell my car and picked up a Prius myself. I am familiar with a Prius myself, as both my parents use them on a daily basis, I decided to get one of myself, they are reliable, and as a college student, can help me save on gas :). It is an 2007 Prius, FYI.

I already detailed the paint, applied wax, and sealed the wind shield with using wax as well, but the wipers really need to be changed, and it also looks like the wipers itself are Bosch wipers. I know some folks talk about the original wipers being more aerodynamically fitted for the car, I wanted to ask, should I go ahead and just buy the same brand wipers that are on the car? Or should I look into buying the original wiper with the replacement blades? I'd imagine the wiper is probably one of the lightest things to impact performance, aerodynamically, but if there is a difference, I'd rather go for the route that is preferred for the Prius.

Additionally, where can I find the rear wiper? Is it supposed to be a replaceable blade, or dose it usually prop up? Both my parents never use their rear wipers, nor replaced it, but I actually do use them, and it is annoying every time I turn them on, I forget that the blade itself is messed up...

Thanks!

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not trying to "diss" your topic or anything. Wipers are an important safety feature, but having said that, even the worst wipers I have bought in the past 40 years of driving have been good enough. Not going to find any real MPG diff. I would guess....

So, the past couple of times I have replaced, I have went with the NAPA ACCUFIT. Work well and price is right. I have also tried a variety of Bosch wipers, all have worked fine, some have been pretty pricey, but have not seen enough performance difference to justify the added expense.

But, if you want to continue on this quest, my latest issue of a noted consumer publication rates the Valeo 600, RainX-Latitude, Anco 31 and Michelin RainForce, in that order as the best.

You can replace the rear wiper as an entire unit. Easier if you pull off the black cap at the base of the unit that covers the "workings" as that will allow the blade to pull further away from the glass.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Wiper-Blade-AccuFit-Rear-OE-Style/_/R-ACO60016A_0356238432

BTW, I live in Seattle also. WE KNOW RAIN. If you are talking about snow, well there are folks from Canada on here who post.

Also, many parts stores, including NAPA, will swap them out for you for free if you buy them there.

Oh, I may be wrong, but seems like the last time I bought wipers from NAPA (entire units, not just the rubber), they had the wrong lengths in their catalog....important to have the car with you at the time of purchase (at least at NAPA?) to assure proper fitment.

BTW, this is just a BIG WAG, but the Trico Exact Fit comes in at number 10 in a noted consumer review. For some reason, I suspect this may be a cousin to the NAPA?

The only Bosch on the list is the Icon at #8.

Again, I don't think there is that much difference, other than possibly blade life. That noted review place basically said a lot of blades needed very frequent replacement...and some of the less expensive were better than the much more pricey.

You can probably still glance at said publication on a local newsstand, or check your local library. I am happy with my $10 NAPAs.

#2 Stevewoods, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rear wiper is a Trico wiper, most shops have them for about $10.

All national brand wipers will work fairly well, just depends how much money you want to put into them. The silicone blades last much longer.

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I buy only Toyota wipers. Just my preference. Last time I had all of them replaced on the Prius the service department told me to go to the parts department and buy them. They then replaced them for nothing. They put refills on the front and rear. I think I just lucked out on that trip. Next time they may charge me an installation fee.

5. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Woah, thanks for the quick responses!

Just to get an general price quote, how much does the dealer charge for the kit and blade if I were to go that route?

As for specific brands or model, would you guys mind sharing what you guys usually go for? I'd rather keep consistency, and go with something that is popular, I am a freak when I see little dots on my windshield, so something that works would be perfect! Also, something on the cheaper would be preferred too!

As for the rear, I originally gave up and thought the entire point of the wiper is to replace the blade, but I think I now see how to prop it open, and get it replaced, but how is the official "Toyota" way of replacing the wiper?

6. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The inserts for the front 2 wipers and the rear wiper was about $23.00 about 1 1/2 years ago. Just buy the inserts. That was at a Toyota parts department.

7. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any good recommendation on wipers I should look into? Or should I stick to the Bosch wiper the previous owner purchased?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You waxed the windshield?

9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would buy Toyota brand inserts from a Toyota dealer.

10. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it actually works better than RainX IMO. I have been doing so for over 3 years, and it works just as fine. When I usually wax my car every 3 months, I apply it on the windshield.

Just posted a link to a video, this is a great guide if anyone is interested!

11. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I heard Tom and Ray, Click & Clack -- CarTalk --, one day, several years ago, comment on something along this line about using various "coatings" on the windshield.

I don't remember their exact comments but it was something like, never, ever, never ever, dangerous, stupid, etc.

They even spoke against using the RainX type chemicals.

Not saying anyone is "right," just parroting....

12. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I use Carnauba based car wax, which doesn't contain any of the RainX chemicals, which I am aware of, it is probably one of the least toxic substances you can find that is related to automotive.

The biggest reason why I apply it is because it provides a sealant for the windshield, and ultimately it helps with viability when it does rain, where the water beads up.

Though, I would love to hear if applying Wax is dangerous, I am always open to suggestions, I just like to take care of my vehicles and make them look as clean and pristine as possible :)

13. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Personally, I don't see how it would really be a problem....but then, I don't remember what Tom and Ray were whining about when they talked about it.

As I said, just sort of repeating what I heard, not what I necessarily agree with or not.

14. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What leads you to believe that is a good thing to do ?
    In general, it isn't because the wax wears off in a non-uniform fashion and cause bad streaking at some point.
    And once that happens, it is a real (female dog) to get the remaining wax off.

P.S. The glass doesn't need any extra "protection".

Stevewoods likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I go at it with a spray can of automotive glass cleaner and a cloth, but that's it, done. Run the wet cloth along the wiper blades too.

16. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The biggest perks of waxing it is that the last time I actually used some sort of glass cleaner was, forever... small sprinkle of water with a microfiber towel and it looks pristine clean. I don't even have to use the wipers often, but living in Seattle, it can drizzle in one part of the city, and just hardcore pour in the other part of the city.

It's a quick job, not sure if you wax your car or not (some people claim you aren't supposed to wax a Prius, I am not buying that). RainX was okay on my trials, but it doesn't last as long unfortunately, and as the other poster said, the chemicals in it make it seem harmful, but I know a lot of people live by their products too.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I wax, spring and fall.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I might be late to the party, but I get a lot of stuff including rear wipers off Amazon.com

19. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  20. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I picked up the 26" and 19" refills from the dealer yesterday. They don't carry 16" refills, so I went to Advance Auto and picked up the Trico 16-A. I'll change all of the blades this coming weekend when I change the oil.