1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question: What should every Used Prius Buyer do AFTER purchase?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 07PriusSTL, Dec 2, 2011.

1. 07PriusSTL

07PriusSTL New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I just bought a used 2007 Prius w/69K miles. It's not Toyota Certified. But it was bought from the dealership circle that originally sold it. The former owner traded it in for a Subaru I believe and they kept it on their used lot rather than give it back to their Toyota store.

(I almost bought a certified 2009 from across town but they refused to negotiate on the price at all - and I came with my own financing! But that's another story for another day...lol)

It's been a week and a half and the car seems pretty solid. It's getting about 41 MPG all city driving.

Without using any overly technical jargon - what are the first things I should do to keep it in good shape, get ahead of any common problems that arrive at this mileage point etc?

E.g. I'm sure I will get snow tires before the snow hits. But are there common mechanical issues that pop up around this time? Specific services I should just splurge without waiting?

Sorry if a similar post exists already - I checked the threads and found nothing.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Change the oil if unsure about the previous maintenance schedule. Also, if not already done, change the transmission fluid. Toyota recommends 100,000 miles before changing the transmission fluid, but testing has shown that 60,000 miles is better.

If the 12V battery is original you may need a new one.

Tom

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also check the air cleaner for the ICE and also the climate control filter. I changed my oil to 0-20 synthetic even thou the oil was new, but 5-20. Hal

1 person likes this.
  4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Air filter and cabin air filters are super easy do-it- yourself items.

If I just bought it:
    • Engine oil & filter
    • Transaxle oil change for sure.
    • Brake fluid flush maybe. Not a do- it-yourself item. Brake inspection and cleaning, parking brake adjustment, for sure. These are do-it- yourself items
    • Toyota multi point inspection. Your dealer should have done this and should have a report
    • Run Carfax before buying. Your dealer will definitely have this. If he doesn't, he's lying. They aren't stupid.

I've learned that one of the most common problems with your model year is that the HID headlight bulbs are very expensive to replace. The bulbs themselves are about $100 each, which isn't too big a deal, but many unscrupulous dealers and garages have charged around $400 labor, falsely claiming that the entire bumper and headlamp assembly must be removed in order to replace the bulbs. As the YouTube video below shows, this isn't true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0oEHNUfQs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pandus13 likes this.
  5. 07PriusSTL

07PriusSTL New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These were actually replaced at the time of purchase as part of purchase agreement. I will check into some of the other things you listed. thx!

Any other suggestions folks?

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    zanna likes this.