1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questioned in the Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Somechic, Jun 20, 2006.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tell them I buy gas every two weeks, whether I need to or not, just to keep it fresh.

I wonder why the person referred to in the original post doesn't commute to the nearest train station? Perhaps then they could make a better case for keeping the Expewdition.

2. Explorer Limited

Explorer Limited New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 21 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]274822[/snapback]</div>

To each his own... and some of us actually need the utility B) However, if it came down to one or the other I'd be willing to bet the majority of peope would pick an SUV over a Prius when asked solely about the looks. Why do you think the Prius is labeled as a chick car? ;)

3. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]274839[/snapback]</div>

I do not know...

I work with a bunch of former F4/F14 drivers and one USMC Colonel A4 guy; about as macho a bunch as there may be...none of them have called a Prius a 'chick' car...

In fact, on this US Naval Air Station, there are at least 10 Prius. BTW: most of the Silly Useless Vacuous machines that I see on base are driven by

girls.. :lol:

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I'm glad that 'Explorer Limited' and other non-hybrid drivers post here. But I'm also happy to describe my vehicle preferences. They must:

1. Fulfill 99% of 'the mission'
    2. Be low-polluting
    3. Have a low total operating cost (TCO).

For me, the classic Prius has answered all 3. Three times (since 2001) I have rented a truck to transport large things. It would only be fair to include those rental costs, so I revise my TCO upwards to 22.4 cents per mile.

Prius (along with most hybrids and a few other vehicles) has clean emissions, so no problem there. The vehicles with the lowest TCO are probably reliable compact sedans purchased used, but they are not so clean. I did consider them at purchase time though.

I believe that the new model Prius is an even better choice, but their used car prices remain stubbornly high (which is very good for others' TCO). I am also too stubborn to change, preferring to see just how this car works in the long term. It has also been fun seeing just how much Tochatihu is capable of.

Not all will select their vehicles by such criteria, and that's fine by me. But the Prius gave me a good choice using these factors. None of my previous vehicles (all purchased used) were chosen this way. So it is fair to say that Prius changed me.

Whether casual questioners in gas stations would stand still for such a long explanation, well that's another matter...

5. Explorer Limited

Explorer Limited New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 21 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]274844[/snapback]</div>

Pfffft... they're in the Navy, what kinda girl is that ;)

6. amitandrima

amitandrima New Member

In my experience the moment you say Prius Hybrid people think that the only basis for comparison is fuel economy. (Our fuel expenditure has remained the same even with the prius! We like long road trips and enjoy going around in this car so much that our frequency of long drives has increased ever since we got this car.)

I have given theoretical and practical demo of this car to many and "hybrid" is just one in the list of technological advances included in this car (eg. drive-by-wire for transmission and throttle control). Then of course there is a "cool" factor with no conventional dials in front of the driver (which is also a safety feature since it reduces attention loss time), the smart key system etc. Prius is a breed of car in intself and i think comparisons with other categories of cars is pointless. Purchasing decisions and comparisons with SUV's or compact sedans is largely a matter of personal taste and pocket.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 21 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]274832[/snapback]</div>
    Check this out, Richard. I was complaining to a coworker about traffic backing up and getting worse during my evening commute. He suggested that I take the train. There are stations less than 6 miles from my house and across the street from work. Piece of cake, right. Real no brainer.

$105.50 per month to ride the train.

Carpooling, it costs me from $30- to $60-per month (depending on the cost shared from all to none respectively).

Yeah, for me in Priapus with a passenger, it's a no brainer.

8. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 21 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]274832[/snapback]</div>

I thought of asking that when I was talking to him, but I didn't want to overstep my bounds. It's not like we're friends, just happen to live in the same complex. The closest train station to the complex is about 7 miles away and it's packed with commuters/their cars. I know you have to pay a monthly fee to park your car there, so maybe that's it? Like I said, I'm not friends with the man.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]274839[/snapback]</div>
    The man I spoke to admitted his wife was using the Expedition as a COMMUTER vehicle. While you may have bought your SUV for its utilty, this person did not.

And you can argue looks all you want but there are numerous vehicles which get better gas mileage than an Expenditon, even SUVs if you worried about "looks".

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]274839[/snapback]</div>
    Why do you think SUV's are labeled micro penis cars?

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 21 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]274860[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but as all us Prius owners know, being green and sensible about energy policy may cost us more out-of-pocket. And we accept this because we're doing the Right Thing. The train has a more consistent travel time, creates less stress in the users, and uses less energy per passenger than does carpooling, even in a Prius.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With all of CP's blunders & misinformation they have proven themselves untrust worthy regarding hybrids

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Explorer Limited @ Jun 21 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]274814[/snapback]</div>
    You must be suffering from head up rear syndrome.... :blink:

1. Its all over the media SUV drivers whining they cant drive as much due to the cost of fuel. a V6 & the V8 Mountaineer on a good day with the wind pushing you gets 18 mpg on the hwy.
    2. the average driver travels 12k to 15k a year. My wife drives 50 or so miles round trip home to work a day, she fills up everyother sunday she used to fill up twice a week & averages anywere from 460 - 520 miles on 11 gal. of gas (depending on her driving mood). :lol:
    3. We drove from Orlando FL to Bryan TX on 22 gallons of gas at a cost of $50. My brother in law did the same trip in a new dodge ram pick-up and had to stop Seven times at $75 a tank, do the math :huh:
    4. hwy driving wife averages 47 - 50, cty driving 53 - 99.9 mpg..
    5. Prius's go from 0-60 in 10.9 sec, top speed of 109 - 110 mph. (slow)?
    6. Heathrow has quite a few Prius's driving in and out of their gates homes start a one million & up.
    7. the ford explorer is unattractively dated notice they changed the front clip and minor int changes.
    [​IMG]
    2004/2005
    [​IMG]
    2006/2007

13. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 21 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]274949[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are not being fair to Explorer Limited. The point was that it takes some time for the improvement in gas mileage to offset the purchase price of the car. Of course, this depends on what you are comparing to and the "extras" that you needed with the car.

I love my 2006 Package #8. I save gas and pollute less while I am gliding away. Could I be spending more to pollute less? Yes. Would I have it any other way? No.

P&G with pride. :)

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the Prius parked outside the library door today (so I could load from my office) while the teachers were checking in their materials. I had a few ask questions. Most were surprised by the mileage (one said he heard they only got 25 mpg) and the price ($20,000).

I'm new at this school but this year two staff have purchased a hybrid after talking to me. A teacher bought a used gen1 and one of the VPs bought a Highlander Hybrid. He loves it.

My technician was looking for a new car this year to replace the van she was commuting in. I tried to talk her into the Prius. She bought a corolla. She said it the Prius would never "pay back" the extra cost. She claimed she was getting almost the same mileage that I do. I don't believe it. Anyone know a Corolla getting 48 mpg?

15. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love being approached and asked about my car. Most of the people are purely curious about real world gas mileage and costs and I'm more than happy to dispel some of the rumors floating around out there.

I talked to one neighbor who drove a large SUV who was asking about it one night not long after I got it. The following weekend he went to some of the local Toyota dealers to see about buying a Prius. There were none available that weren't spoken for, so he went to Ford and picked up an Escape Hybrid instead.

I had a client call me specifically to ask me a long list of questions about my Prius and I even provided her with my salesperson's information. She currently has a Prius on order.

My husband is thinking about selling his 2-year old Accord and getting a Prius.

I have another neighbor who bought a Chrysler 300 right around the same time I got my Prius and every time I see him in the elevator, he's griping about gas prices and the cost of his commute, and he mentioned trading his guzzler in for a Prius like mine.

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 21 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]275066[/snapback]</div>
    It was near 37mpg last time I rented it for a couple weeks, and 100 miles per day - closer to the previous-gen Civic. I have it documented in my Open Office spreadsheet.

Ask her for the spreadsheet or receipts to prove it because hear-say isn't evidence.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 21 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]274860[/snapback]</div>
    For me gas is > $150 per month (lots of mileage). Going by train will cost about $150 to $200 per month (I'm confused how much the company subsidy is). So it's a toss-up between flexible hours by car, or set, limited, and strict schedule by train.

I get about $40 credit every two months just for driving a hybrid and double that if I'm actually carpooling.

Too bad vanpools don't go my way. I guess I can try the Metro 10-pack tickets to combine the benefits of both especially on traffic heavy Thursdays and Fridays. Good thing I can also telecommute sometimes.