1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questioning the need of machining rear discs to remove rust

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alex Baldor, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Alex Baldor

Alex Baldor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had today 2 year service on my 2013 prius v Five after driving it 25,000 km. The service advisor told me that the mechanic recommends machining the rear discs. I went to see that and the mechanic showed me that about 4 mm of the outer edge of the disc is discoloured what he defined as a rust. The rest of the disc was smooth and shiny. The pads thickness was 10 mm i.e. 2 mm wear. I told them that I will think about it. It appears to me that this is due to the fact that the pads are smaller than the face of the disc and the pads do not come into contact with the full face of the disc. I read a comment in Priuschat that the rear pads are smaller than the front pads. I have my doubts about the need to do what the mechanic recommends since the car is running smoothly, the breaking is smooth and quiet.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions how to deal with that.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i think they are trying to scam you. any way to take a pic for us?

3. Alex Baldor

Alex Baldor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My picture or the disk picture? I thought about it taking the picture with my phone but they put the wheels back by the time I thought about it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your picture won't help us, although, i'm sure you are a very handsome man.:p

Yakoma likes this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If there was an interference issue, the rust would have been or would be ground down. The suggestion seems designed to lighten your wallet.

6. Alex Baldor

Alex Baldor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks I heard this from a girl 65 years ago I will go tomorrow to a tire service place with a camera to take a picture and post it.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is utter BS. Yet another case of a dealership trying to scam its customers.
    I'd suggest you send Toyota corporate a letter.

This is why I DIY as much as I can.

9. Jim T

Jim T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with your questioning the service but note that I did have severe rust on my rear discs after 4 years/ 40k miles and had to replace pads and rotors. I've read several threads that confirm our brakes tend to suffer more from disuse and corrosion since the regen handles most braking when driving conservatively. In my case the calipers corroded and caused pads to stick. I actually have a reputable dealer service department that I've had exceptionally good experience with and they recommend cleaning and lubrication of the brake calipers/slide pins (particularly the rears?) every year or two in areas where roads are salted.

I also now follow recommendations I've read here to put the car in neutral periodically and apply the brakes to keep the parts moving and keep rust from accumulating on rotors. I just made it a habit to do just before pulling into the garage at the end of the day.

Alex Baldor likes this.
  10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Def a scam designed to lighten your wallet and weigh theirs down. Avoid this dealer at all costs.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be a lady.....if they use clicks instead of proper statute miles.

Back to the topic at hand.

Here's what I initially wrote, and it would apply to most "corroded rotor" questions (see below!)

The OP lives in the Frozen North.
    It's kinda hard on brakes up there but there's no way that even the itty-bitty rotors that they use on Priuses should be rusted badly enough to require resurfacing.

1. Pay a competent independent mechanic to inspect the brakes.....not necessarily a brake shop. Avoid a place that offers a "free" inspection, since they're just looking for an excuse to tinker with your brakes.
    2. If my suspicions are correct, fire your dealer. There's no way that I would continue to buy cars from somebody who cannot keep rotors on a car for more than 25,000km. That's less than 16,000 miles!!

As is my wont, I went back and reread your OP to make sure that I wasn't missing something.
    I'm glad I did.
    Don't bother with the brake inspection.
    You drove a healthy car into the dealer for a "2 year inspection."
    They tried to fleece you into having service performed that was not only unnecessary, but probably would have damaged the rotors more than leaving them alone.

Fire your dealer.
    Write a letter to Toyota telling them that they're next.

Good Luck!

12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you think about it, brake discs are rusting all the time. It's exposing fresh metal every time you friction brake. Any rust that does develop get scraped off when you brake so it's alway shiny. However, you seldom friction brake like a Prius. If the rust gets thick enough contact between the pads an brakes become uneven. You experience this through vibration when you brake and if they are the fronts brake, the steering wheel would shudder. Your braking distance would increase. To make matters worse, you might only notice through hard braking. In other words, when you traveling at high speeds.

So you can do the neutral brake as suggested in post above. You can have the dealer fix it. Or you can ignore it as I do and most people I think. Before you think I am being nonchalant and uncaring about a possible lethal issue. This is akin to filling up your gas tank at half full. You'll have ample warning of possible brake problems. This is the first one (the gas gauge is at half.) The other warning signs will be vibration during high speeds, noise when you brake or backing up, etc. I don't consider the dealer as sleazy, they're trying to make a buck. They're offering to "fill up your gas tank now so you don't have a problem running out of gas later."

#12 mmmodem, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Alex Baldor likes this.
  13. Alex Baldor

Alex Baldor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all for your comments. I went to a mechanic which serviced my Ford Taurus couple years ago and one of his employees lifted the car and removed the driver side rear wheel. I took several pictures which I am attaching. You can see that there is a band on the outer edge of the disk which is not shiny.It is about 1/4 inch (6 mm) wide. To me it definitely does not look like rust. (I am a retired mechanical engineer with many years experience in plant maintenance in various industries) By the way I remember that it was identical on the passenger side of the rear brake which the dealer mechanic showed me yesterday. I am confident now that there is nothing wrong with the disk and as some of you mentioned they were trying to scam me. Actually not only me, also the extended warranty that I have. The service advisor tried to entice with the promise that the machining of the disc will be charged to the extended warranty. I wonder if sending a letter of complain to the dealership management will be just waste of time as my previous mechanic asserted. The dealership pride itself that it is family owned and managed since the 1950th and it bears the family name Wietzes Toyota. 2015-04-09_0272 (2).jpg 2015-04-09_0272 (2).jpg

Attached Files:

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like brand new.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a good luckin disc. ;)

16. Alex Baldor

Alex Baldor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I read your message. Cleaning and lubricating the calipers/slide pins makes sense. If that was the only thing that was proposed I would have gone along with it. What turned me off was the intention to machine the rotors that caused me to lose completely trust in the mechanic and service advisor. Does such a service require special knowledge of the Prius or can any trustworthy mechanic do it?

17. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Disk machining can be done on the axle with the proper machine. But why allow them to take meat off the wearing surface? They will make a pass over the entire wear surface, not just the cosmetic rust at the periphery. No reason to do it.

18. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alex,

Unless there are other disc issues (IE: warpage, deep gouges) - leave them alone. If you do not feel any constant pulsing, abnormal noises from applying the brakes - you are fine. The rust is normal on rotors on any car. The scams dealers try to pull on consumers never stops to amaze me.

Also, welcome to Prius Chat.

DBCassidy

19. Jim T

Jim T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since having the problem with my rear brakes, I've read enough in these forums about the Prius brake system to make me favor Toyota service (and I'm biased by having found a good one not too far away) but of course a competent mechanic can do it. There are threads on brake maintenance and service you can read but I think a couple specific things are to be careful aligning the piston, and bleeding requires the right software tool (Techstream?).
    It looks like you made the right call on the discs, was the inside surface of the rotor just as clean? That was where mine rusted up.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you see the inside with a mirror, or does the dust cover block it?