1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questioning the Value of SGII

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by markabele, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What kind of cookies? If they're chocolate chip or better yet mocha chocolate chip count me in!!! Do they come out of a dispenser somewhere?
    The perfect way to get people to drive economically. I'm surprised this isn't used more widely!

2. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's also far quicker and therefore safer to glance at a number than to peer at a bar graph or analog display. And much faster to pick up which way the number is trending. This is why digital speedos are so handy.

And as you point out, the Prius bar graph maxes at 100mpg.

I don't think the 2011 has an EV indicator except when you push the EV button. When you get into EV by letting off the gas I haven't noticed anything changing on the HSD (in the bar display format at least). The iMPG bar graph tops out at 100mpg (which it does under some conditions when the ICE is running) but other than that I'm not aware of any indicators coming on. Maybe the 2012 is different??

I use the SG to display iMPG, RPM, GPH, and coolant temp. Nice and small, tucks right behind the steering wheel. I use my phone as just a phone - it's a dumbphone.

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, on the 2012 they added a little EV icon every time the ICE shuts off.
    Is coolant temp as important to have on there during the summer?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I confirmed today that at high speeds the EV light does not appear despite warp stealth mode. :(

Since you have been playing with Torque, would you mind helping us gather data on AC use? You mentioned monitoring energy use with AC on and off. I would love to see numbers for max AC use vs. low load use vs. non-use. I've done this for mpg but never for actual Kw usage. We would all love you for it. :) hahaha

markabele likes this.
  5. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So you're basically wanting the actual numbers for AC only (in watts or kw or whatever)?

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that can then be translated into fuel use. It is important that we observe high AC loads like when it is 95F+ and the AC is set at 72F.

I was taking to The Critic today and he was observing similar mpg loss as I described in another thread but it was during pretty hot conditions,

7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So...ideal numbers to record would be:
    Cabin Temp
    Outside Temp (from both local weather sites and dash readout)
    Range of Wattage
    Average Wattage

Anything else you can think of?

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you have most of it.

Makes notes for your settings as well. I don't want to dictate temp settings for you. Just do whatever feels comfortable to you and your wife. ;)

If you are going on long or short trips it would be good to know how long it uses xx amount of energy. I.e. does the energy use spike for the first few minutes then go down or does it stay that way for a longer period? This would help determine how bad the A/C can affect fuel economy on long vs. short trips.

9. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can confirm that the EV light - the one that comes on when you push the EV mode button - does not come on in the 2012.

The HUD and most screens on the MFD, however, do indicate both EV and ECO, so it's easy to tell where I'm at. To tell you the truth, I mostly just use the HUD. It's been hard for me to get used to the placement of the dash, and the HUD shows me what I need to know.

F8L likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you interested in energy use or power ? Total energy use will be affected a lot by the retained heat in your car. The air temp is only a small fraction of the heat load the AC has to deal with, and it does not correlate well with the total load. As an example, it often helps to vent the car with ambient air as hot as the cabin air, because the plastics are hotter than the cabin air and they have a much higher heat capacity. Since you are only measuring cabin and ambient air temps, the cooling load varies widely, even when ambient and cabin temps are constant.

11. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest I'm still trying to figure out the best recording methodology.

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    One fair bit of warning - those who use SG II for iMPG need to understand that SGII is calculating based on "calibrated" pulse timing of fuel injectors. You'll need to record a few fuel-ups to ensure the values are reasonably accurate. I also find the speedometer to be more accurate in SG II (doesn't read high) once you've "calibrated" it w/ GPS speed at a higher speed (observe the difference, then adjust when safely stopped)

13. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coolant temp is mostly important if you plan grill blocking ... especially full grill blocking. If you try to do this aggressively starting early and leaving it late you definetally want to know the coolant engine AND inverter temps ...

Car will just have a warning lite but then is too late ...

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ My SGII only shows engine coolant temp, not inverter coolant temp.

15. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In post 5 of this thread there's a link to a spread-sheet on Google with all the Xgauge codes for Gen III; this includes inverter coolant temp.

SageBrush likes this.
  16. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only have an SGe but isn't one of the xgague can show inverter coolant temp???

Tourque I can show Inverter Coolant Temp end MG1/2 Inverter Temp so it is there on the data bus... somehow

SageBrush likes this.
  17. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For those interested in power consumption by AC, here are the ScanGuage II codes to watch AC watts in realtime.
    from here: Welcome to Google Docs

GAUGE A/C Power Usage
    TXD 07E2217D
    RXF 0461057D0000
    RXD 3808
    MTH 003200010000
    NAM ACw
    Notes xxx watts

Does that help answer the question of the value of ScanGuage II?

SageBrush likes this.
  18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Still trying to figure out the logistics of recording all these numbers for the AC power consumption. I'm at a loss other than feverishly writing on a notepad at every red light. ;)

F8L likes this.
  19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!
    I'm most interested in monitoring traction battery temps using different AC modes, in particular recirc vs non-recirc, and higher fan speeds. I looked over the codes in the google Doc. What is the difference between battery temp 1,2, and 3 ? I'd like outlet temp, but I do not see that choice.

20. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I got Battery Cooling Fan Mode (line 27 on google doc spreadsheet) to work on my SGII. I have electric motor temps & RPM working for MG1 & MG2 (lines 84, 85, 88, 89). I really like Battery amps on line 25. Really lets you see the energy flow in and out of the batteries.

I think you might like Battery Temp codes on lines 43 - 48. Note that Battery Temp 2 & 3 specify the need for firmware 4.05 or higher on you SG II. I'm still on version 3.15.

Happy monitoring. Let us know what you observe.