1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about buying a 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by floridaman, Mar 18, 2019.

1. floridaman

floridaman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Prius Chatters!

I'm looking at buying my first hybrid today after work. It's a 2010 Prius II with 55k miles. Clean Car Fax and Auto Check histories. Had a few questions as a first time Pri-ite.

1. I'm aware of the elevated risk of oil consumption in a 2010. I'm ok with this, and have factored it into the price and pros/cons. Am I correct in my understanding that this issue typically doesn't present itself until up around 100k? I'll keep an eye on it regardless, but it'd be nice to feel somewhat confident I can get another 40k+ before it becomes an issue.

2. Intake manifold and EGR/EGR cooler cleaning: these seem to be common maintenance practice in older Prius owners, due to some poor design/manufacturing. Without getting too far down the rabbit hole of why these services need to be done, my question is, would a trustworthy, independent garage that frequently works on Pri's be expected to know about these services? If so, what should I be prepared to pay for somebody to do these services for me? I could do them on my own if I really needed to, but time and work space are both at a premium in my life at the moment.

3. Any common cosmetic/minor damage I should look for before purchasing (i.e. common areas of rust, commonly missing/broken interior or trim pieces)?

Thanks in advance, and any other insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

low miles on a 9 year old battery in florida might be an issue.

also, low miles might affect the egr clogging more, i'm not really sure.

for whatever reasons, older prius with lower miles seem to suffer from lack of driving. but that may not be the majority of cases, just what we see here.

ALS and floridaman like this.
  3. Threej

Threej Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I got mine done, I called up about 4 different hybrid shops, and none of them had heard of it, and most refused to do it.

Ultimately for the EGR cooler and valve, I paid my local mom-and-pop's $200 to take it off and give it to me, while I cleaned it overnight, and gave it back to them to put on the next day.

The intake manifold/ egr pipe I did myself.

floridaman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a big plastic panel under the engine bay, that tends to get damaged, fasteners lost, in particular with rushed service personnel. It's the second black plastic piece, going back from the front fairing. The first black plastic piece too, is subject to wear and tear: due to the low ground clearance it tends to snag on concrete wheel stops, curbs, and tear when backing off.

Our 2010's at 80K kms, approximately 50K miles. I've cleaned the intake manifold, installed the Oil Catch Can and cleaned the EGR circuit. A little premature maybe for EGR, but don't regret getting on it sooner than later. I've followed the Canadian oil change interval: 6 months or 8K kms. The car's using zero oil between changes, so far. Knock on wood.

floridaman likes this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No real issues to look for in a Prius with 50k miles. I would have the tranmission fluid changed, no more then $100 at the dealer. EGR should be done at 100k miles along with the coolant and invertor coolant.

I would recommend using Mobil 1 oil at a heavier weight then 0W-20 especially being in Florida. I use 0W-40 and have no issues.

Lightning Racer and floridaman like this.
  6. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The biggest issue on a low mileage Prius is the battery. At 9 years and 78K miles my HV battery died and had to be replaced.

It's not how many miles it's the age of the battery that really matters.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Replaced under warranty?

8. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nope here in Pa. the warranty only runs for eight years.

Dealer maintained so Toyota tossed me $750 and my dealer kicked in a few hundred off the battery.
    $2300 with sales tax installed.

Mendel Leisk, mikey_t, orenji and 2 others like this.
  9. floridaman

floridaman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I decided against this one as there were a few red flags in the engine bay, that really turned me right off. A missing bolt, diy-looking electrical tape wrap, stuff like that. I appreciate all the insight though, and will definitely use your advice on my continued hunt for a less scary gen III!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm curious about how many folks here with 2010s have had to replace their hybrid batteries?

11. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your chance of a head gasket failure more likely then a bad battery. But even that seems to be low. It’s all depends on how the engine/car has been driven and maintained.

mikey_t likes this.
  12. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I figure. Mine is currently in the shop getting a new battery, thankfully under warranty, though the previous owner was in Arizona and the miles are kinda high at 145k so I'm not terribly surprised. My original plan was have the car for a few years and then trade up to a 2015 with less miles and more perks, but now having a new battery and planning to clean the EGR I feel like the car will have new life.

Mendel Leisk and orenji like this.
  13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Arizona heat will impact the life of the battery. Make sure you check oil every fill up. Also change the oil at 5K miles.

mikey_t likes this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    198k miles on our 2010 and going strong :).

No replaced hybrid battery here(y).

RMB, The Critic, ALS and 3 others like this.