1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about catalytic cover

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Joonnoon19, May 4, 2021.

1. Joonnoon19

Joonnoon19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Hi guys, I have some questions about catalytic converter cover on Prius 2021 I went to an auto shop to get cat shield install on my car but the mechanic told me it was too short and there is no point to install it like you can still see and cut it anyway. My questions are
    1. Is it suppose to look like that (short) ?
    2. If it is, what about the rest of it ?
    2. Any auto shop you guy can recommend me in Seattle to get it install for good price ?
    3. Anything you guys would like to share that you do to protect your cat ?
    Thank you so much !! Screenshot_20210504-114302.png Screenshot_20210504-114310.png

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's well and truly covered. The main one is inaccessible behind the engine.
    upload_2021-5-5_15-53-20.png

Joonnoon19 and amos like this.
  3. Joonnoon19

Joonnoon19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I see...Thank you very much

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've yet to hear of one being stolen from a Gen 4 PRIUS. With 2 small ones, one hidden and inaccessible, it's a very different scenario from the Gen 2 and 3.

Joonnoon19 likes this.
  5. roadwarrior28

roadwarrior28 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have heard one report on here (I believe from the folks at Atomic Auto in Portland Oregon) of at least one Gen 4 cat being stolen. I purchased the Cat Security Kit for my 2016 on sale for $135 and installed it myself, which was quite easy if you're comfortable working underneath your car.

As far as shops in the Seattle area, check out muffler shops. I would not pay more than $325 for the shield plus install, like I said you could do it yourself for ~$135

I figure even though the cat is farther up in the car for our generation, cat thieves are unpredictable and may try to steal it (or the first muffler by mistake). If you live in an area plagued by cat theft I would recommend it, just to be safe.

For protection - just take normal precautions, park in a well lit driveway if you can with security cameras and motion lights. If you have to park on the street, move your car frequently and..maybe park next to some Gen 2 Priuses!! ;)

Joonnoon19 likes this.
  6. Joonnoon19

Joonnoon19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thank you very much for you tips especially the last one lol
    I wanted to install it myself but I don't have space. I called auto shops and the prices are around $120-$150 to install it.

7. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Probably more expensive, but nearly all dealers, including Toyota of Seattle, offer catshield installation.

Joonnoon19 likes this.