1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about getting the best mileage

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by AdamH, Apr 24, 2013.

1. AdamH

AdamH New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Just bought a new 2013 Prius C and I was wondering a couple of things about how to get the best gas mileage from it.

The symbol on the display in the shape of a green car that says "EV" on it. Am I correct in saying that this appears when the engine is off and the car is running on battery power only? I want to say this is the same as running in EV mode, but I've been able to get this thing to appear going upwards of 40 mph while EV mode shuts off when I pass 25 mph.

Either way I think the objective is to use this as much as possible, and with some hints from the owner's manual I've gotten pretty good at making this symbol show up.

Sometimes I'm watching the Eco Score display and it dings me on the Cruise portion because I let off the gas for a second to get EV mode to show up. I think I get better mileage when I do this, so I must not be understanding something about the Eco Score. Am I missing something here, or should I stop caring so much about getting a high Eco Score all the time?

Also, the "B" option on the transmission -- if I understand correctly, it uses a similar mechanic to Engine Braking, only the motor/generators are able to more effectively capture my kinetic energy as I stop and transfer it to battery power. It still does this when I use the brake pedal, but this is better. Is that about right?

Assuming I'm somewhat close here, then the interactions between this and EV mode are a little unclear to me -- If the EV symbol shows up on the display and I'm going 35 mph or so, the engine will turn on if I put the car in "B." I know this is supposed to happen, but I wonder if this is better for my fuel economy than just braking and keeping the engine off?

Also, say I'm going 55 mph or so getting off the highway. If I put the car in "B" of course the engine revs up (again, this is supposed to happen according to the manual) but I have a hard time believing that this situation saves me gas just because I hear the engine speak up like that. I suppose it's possible that I'm moving so fast that the motor/generators are capturing a ton of energy and that's a good thing, but I could just be racing the engine for no reason as well. What's going on here, and is it a good idea to put the car in "B" in this situation?

2. Tony Reynolds

Tony Reynolds New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My understanding, trying to do the same thing, is that the B function on the shift is for long, downhill grades where one wants to use engine braking versus relying solely on friction brakes. I personally wouldn't use it when getting off the highway, as applying the brakes normally accomplishes the same thing: charging the battery.

I also note that letting up on the gas to drop it into EV mode seems to mess up my Cruise number, but I've also noted that the whole Eco Display thing can be somewhat hard to maximize. There are a LOT of hills here in the Seattle area.

Joined here so that I could learn better techniques!

3. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, good to see you here Tony. I had been thinking about sending you this link.
    Dan

4. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have never used the "B" mode. I never touch the two buttons between the seats either. For me, the best window to watch is the eco score. Also, a good investment is the ScanGauge or the Ultra Gauge. I have both and prefer the ScanGauge. Much simplier to operate, in my opinion.
    dan

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I quit looking at the eco score button after about the first month. It is so inconsistent. I make perfect stops and it says I suck. I do awful brake check stops and it tells me that I'm great... I just go by the MPG numbers.

karabits and WD0AFQ like this.
  6. frugaldriver

frugaldriver Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse - Cato

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome aboard tony and adam!

This is a great site for learning to maximize mpg's. The people on this site are really helpful as well. For my contribution on how to get the best mileage (alas I do not own a c yet, however it works no matter what you are driving) I would suggest "driving without brakes" which can be found here. Very handy and easy to implement. Plus you are likely to laugh at the people who pass you only for you to do the same because you didn't stop:ROFLMAO:. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your c! Make sure to offset my gas guzzling jeep (y).

7. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    These are two different things.

EV Mode as activiated by the button and represented by an "EV Mode" indicator elsewhere on the dash is a special restricted mode that holds the car from starting up the ICE (the Internal Combustion Engine) when it normally would, but this comes with many caveats - the battery can't be too low, you can't activate it during the car's warm-up cycle, you can't drive too fast and you can't accelerate too quickly. Really this mode is for very limited scenarios - maybe you're just moving your car in the driveway, or you want to make a stealth arrival or departure from your home. It's not really suitable for any real driving situation and many people never use it at all.

The EV in the green car shape on the other hand is as you have guessed - it simply indicates that the ICE is off.

A couple of people have suggested that using this strategy has seen benefits, but it is not generally seen as the most economical way to drive. All that electric power has to come from somewhere - ultimately it comes from the fuel tank. Any time you convert that power the conversion process is not perfect and bits of energy get lost (as heat). Generally a technique known as "Pulse & Glide" is considered the most economic way to drive a Prius.

The cruise score doesn't seem to like Pulse & Glide either, for what it's worth.

No, not really. D is the place you want to be for most efficient driving. If you keep the blue bar from touching the bottom of the charging section of the HSI (on the ECO Score Display), you'll get the most regenerative braking possible. If you touch the bottom, the friction brakes will come on as well to assist.

Sometimes the car wants to deliberately throw away energy. The car never wants the HV battery to rise above 80% charge (which is represented by 8/8 bars on the battery display) and if you ever get that high - likely when you go down a long hill - it will start throwing away energy by using the electric motor to start turning the ICE around, using it as an air compressor and basically turning energy into heat and throwing it away.

In situations where you know in advance that you are going to be filling the battery up, you can choose to start this disposal of energy earlier in your descent, by selecting B mode. This will allow you to stay on the regen brakes for longer and rely on your friction brakes less.

It's not a commonly held view, but I think there's also an argument for using B mode on any descent that is so steep that you are unable to maintain your desired speed on regen brakes alone... ie. I'd rather throw away energy through the engine than the friction brakes - which really is a similar logic to using lower gears in conventional vehicles.

The key message here is that B mode is not more efficient. It is deliberately inefficient.

No. If you're not on a steep or lengthy descent, I don't think there is any reason to use B mode.

karabits, minkus and AdamH like this.
  8. AdamH

AdamH New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Extremely helpful post, thank you. Looks like I should focus more on braking lightly, which will charge the battery in the most efficient way possible.

So I read up on DWB and Pulse and Glide. DWB makes sense, and it's something I'm doing a lot of already. Pulse and Glide seemed a little strange, and only applicable in certain situations and with certain speeds, it seemed like that method just tries to exploit the fact that you get a bonus in a Prius when you coast, since if you do it right the engine will completely shut off. I guess this is just the extreme case of braking lightly, applicable at speeds below 40 mph.

But a part that I don't fully understand is that they didn't want to use the electric motor when they accelerated. It makes me wonder how much it's really worth it to try and use the electric motor as much as possible when those people are trying not to use it when they accelerate. Should I just try to accelerate as gently as possible and let the car decide the best way to do it, or is there still an advantage to trying to keep the ICE off as much as possible? I would think the latter but I haven't been driving my Prius long enough to be confident in that answer.

9. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    It's because that electric power isn't "free". You can't plug a c in to recharge. The only way you get energy into the car is by pouring it into the fuel tank at a petrol station. Sure, you'll get charge going down a hill, but you also had to get up that hill at some point.

If you're trying to keep the car using only the electric motor, the charge will deplete more quickly and the car will have to work at every opportunity to charge up the battery and if it depletes below a certain point, the car won't wait any longer, it'll just turn on the ICE even if you didn't need it for driving.

The logic behind doing a "Pulse" is that you'll have the engine operating at its most efficient and at that point will accelerate the car and - if your HV battery charge is below 60% - it'll probably do a bit of charging too. If your HV battery charge is above 60%, the electric motor will probably actually help your acceleration. If you get up to speed quickly this way, you can also normally spend more time in a "Glide", the holy grail of Prius efficiency. The idea of Glide perfection is not using the ICE and neither charging or discharging the HV battery (and therefore not losing energy in the conversions).

You have to ask yourself - where is the power coming from when the ICE is not running?

minkus likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    OK, you are correct that the EV dash light indicates that the engine is not running. EV Mode on the other hand is a suggestion by you that for some reason (not polluting downtown, sneaking home with out the wife hearing the car, reparking in a parking lot, etc.) you want to override the computer's judgement on how to best get good gas mileage.

In most scenarios, it is more fuel efficient to use the engine to propel the car than to use the battery to propel the car and then use the engine to recharge the battery. In some low speed scenarios (up to about 40, I think) there can be scenarios where the engine is so lightly loaded that EV operation may be more efficient, as recharging later will be a higher load for the engine that is more efficient. All power in the car is ultimately from gasoline, so the fewer number of conversions of the energy in gasoline to other types of energy, the better.

[​IMG]
    I do not have a graph for the Prius c, But this graph shows how high an RPM the Gen 2 Prius was most efficient at. (Lowest grams per kWH) lower engine speeds than that were not as frugal.

B is NEVER more efficient than D, it just keeps the friction brakes cooler, which can help on hills that may otherwise overheat the brakes.

B under the D in the Drive gears? | PriusChat

minkus likes this.
  11. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've sort of come to my own conclusion that minimizing acceleration and deceleration are the most important factors (except when coasting down a steep hill of course... that's free acceleration). If this means you are in EV more often because the car computers don't want to switch to the ICE, so be it. My reasoning is because, even when the ICE turns on, you will keep the RPM of the engine lower in all cases and burn less gas.

12. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The overall idea of B (I think) is that it's basically engine breaking. But it's different than in cars without regen braking. In a non-regen car, when you take your foot off the gas, you start to slow down because you're essentially using the engine to brake. When you take your foot off the gas in a Prius, that small amount of engine braking is simulated by a small amount of regen (as if you were pressing the brake lightly), which is why in order to "coast in neutral" you have to press the gas pedal down slightly, so that you're neither accelerating with slight EV (below ~43 mph)/ICE (~43+ mph) because you're pushing the pedal too much nor are you slightly regen braking because you're not pushing the pedal down enough. It's really helpful to look at one of the screens with the bar that shows gas and brake pedal positions (eco score and eco savings?), because that'll show you what's going on when you brake.

So, you want to take advantage of regen braking as much as possible, anticipating upcoming downhill inclines/stop signs/traffic lights and balancing between braking too quickly (little regen, friction brakes used) and not braking quickly enough (speeding, forced to come to a full stop for light that's about to turn green, forced to slam on brakes before light/stop sign/turn). Once the regen section of the brake pedal meter fills up, your "regular" friction brakes will kick in to assist, so you'll be regen braking to max capacity and friction brakes will take care of the rest. If the regen meter is full, shift to B to engine brake, because although you'll lose some of the energy as heat instead of regenerating it, you at least won't wear down your brake pads. Then if that's not enough, your friction brakes are the last resort.

In summary, regen braking (brake pedal 'til brake meter is full) > engine braking (B) > friction braking (pushing brake pedal past brake meter full point)

13. AdamH

AdamH New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for all of the responses. This has been very helpful.

I have filled my tank three times and kept data for lots of stuff. I'll share it in case anyone wants to see it; the (est) numbers are using what the car reports for mpg and calculating how much gas I should be getting when I fill up, and the (act) numbers are using how much gas the pump says I am getting and calculating mpg from that.

1. est: 375.2 mi at 50.9 mpg -> 7.371 gal
    act: 48.3 mpg <- 7.773 gal

2. est: 290.2 mi at 53.7 mpg -> 5.404 gal
    act: 51.3 mpg <- 5.659 gal

3. est: 314.9 mi at 48.9 mpg -> 6.44 gal
    act: 46.7 mpg <- 6.74 gal

Total:
    est: 980.3 mi at 51.0 mpg -> 19.215 gal
    48.6 mpg <- 20.172 gal

Of course I'm very happy with my mileage, and I'll need more data points to figure out exactly what the numbers are, but it seems my car's gas mileage reporting is a little bit optimistic (which seems typical) by 2 to 2.5 mpg. I'm a nerd so I'll definitely be putting this into a spreadsheet and seeing what kind of correlation I can find.

So I have another question about a theory I have. I realize that if I drive with the ICE off, of course it looks like my gas mileage numbers are getting way better since I'm not burning any gas, but I'm draining the battery and that energy has to come from somewhere. Of course I can drive in such a way that the ICE doesn't turn on that much, but in theory this is less efficient because gas has to be used to charge the battery which then moves the car and that extra layer of indirection causes inefficiency. In theory I should just drive as gas-conscious as I can and let the car decide whether or not to turn on the ICE.

BUT...

I've noticed a couple of things that I'm thinking might be exceptions to this. When I start the car, the engine turns on for a while to warm up. What if I left the battery on a lower charge when I stop so that I can get some "free charging" while this happens? Is that a thing, or am I just making this up? A similar thing when I know I'm about to get on the highway for a bit. After driving on the highway for a while (where the ICE is always on) I notice my battery tends toward a certain level of charge, which is mostly full. If I make it so my battery's charge is low right before I get on the highway, am I getting sort of a "free charge" while my engine is on anyways, or does this just make my highway mileage worse?

14. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You are absolutely correct. I take advantage of "free charge" by using up the battery both before and after the highway portions of my drive. One more you can do is to use up charge prior to parking for the night. When the ICE must warm up in the morning, it charges your battery at the same time. This should be easy to figure out for a daily commute where you are driving the same route every day.

You mentioned "free charging" while stopped. You can effectively do the same exact thing while driving, get the ICE to turn on and just barely keep it at a low enough level where it won't switch to EV. This would be good use of the ICE up a slight incline in preparation for a long, flat road where you can get it into EV.

15. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Some of this about charging the battery is suspect. Always remember that energy transfers promote inefficiency- i.e., gas to battery to kinetic is less efficient than gas to kinetic, or simply maintaining momentum (at low enough speed that air resistance doesn't destroy mpg). My approach is usually, when using EV, to limit power usage (i.e., only using a sliver of power, or just gliding) in order to limit how much the battery is drained, while still obtaining the benefits of gaining distance without burning gas.

16. AdamH

AdamH New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    If it's "suspect" then I'm interested in if there is any truth to this at all. I'm more looking to see if it's possible to use that "warm-up" the car goes through after starting to charge a battery, or if all of that energy is just wasted as heat, since I could see that jiving with the idea that energy transfer is inefficient; at least this inefficiency would be better than wasting the energy.

...or it could just be a crock. I don't know.

17. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Converting the energy does result in a certain energy loss. However, it's still more efficient to use the battery when coasting, because the energy loss is less of a problem than the ICE's lower efficiency when running at low speeds.

I do kind of what PriusCinBlack does, except I use up to half of the EV bar - accelerate at 1/2-3/4 of the eco part of the meter to about 5 mph above the speed limit, release the pedal completely, and try to coast using up to 1/2 (sometimes slightly more) of the EV part of the eco meter. Assuming the path ahead is clear and there are no upcoming stops, once I get to 3-5 mph below the speed limit I repeat the above process (accelerate using ICE at 3/4 of eco bar, coast in EV mode). At first I was using all of the available EV power, but I realized that drained my battery quickly and didn't really help my acceleration much. I'll try using only a tiny sliver of the EV mode and see if that changes anything.

My commute does end up with my battery usually at 2-4 bars by the end. My daily commute is 5 miles of highway with 1 and 1.5 miles of city on the ends. I've been getting 60 mpg on that, and 63-77 when I take city streets the whole way (which only takes 2-5 minutes longer). As I said, my battery is usually at 2-4 bars by the end of my commute from the city driving, but it's usually full by the time I get on the highway, due to warm-up, regen braking and acceleration.

When your engine is warming up, you do somewhat get a "free" charge, but it's probably not as much as you think. For part of the warm-up, your battery is being used as much as possible, so mine often drains even more before being fully charged. Even if you park with the battery "full" (6 bars) warm-up will still add another bar to that, so the energy isn't wasted. So, you do get "free' charging, but electricity is still being used during warm-up to avoid the ICE being stressed when cold. Here's a thread about the gen 3 Prius's engine warm-up stages, and I assume they're somewhat similar for the c: Gen3 warming up stages | PriusChat

Acceleration (e.g., onto a highway) is also assisted by the battery, so you'll notice a difference between accelerating with the battery full vs. with it empty, so if you run the battery too low your ICE might have to work harder than the ideal range of efficiency.

18. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No, Adam, you're right that the battery gets charged during warmup. That's basically all the "free" ("free" because it has to be done anyway) charge you're going to get without storing kinetic energy (i.e, parking at the top of a hill), though. The rest of charging (by choice) is the ICE using more gas and running faster in order to charge the battery, and it's less efficient to do that than to just engage the EV but not use significant power (gliding). Running the battery down by using extensive EV propulsion is almost never a good idea- you would need to know that a huge decline is coming up immediately to recharge with the brakes for it to increase efficiency.

19. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    As minkus pointed out though, the battery doesn't necessarily get charged during warm-up. If you don't have your foot on the accelerator it will charge, but if you put your foot down more than a small amount, the car will rely on the electric motor heavily and draw charge from the battery to do so. If your SoC is low when you start up and if you hit a main road quickly you might be surprised to find just how low the SoC gets - and I've once had the car end up seeming to switch into a defensive mode where it was charging the battery and giving me very little power. That was the lowest I've ever seen my SoC go.

Where I can, I really go for pulse & glide during warm up. Especially in a car park... if it's safe I'll give it a kick to the speed I want, then I'll just glide and let the engine do some charging. If it's flat ground and well surfaced, you can often glide for quite some distance.

Agent J likes this.
  20. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In order of least efficient to more efficient:

1. You can warm-up and charge while stationary
    2. You can warm-up and charge (a bit) while crawling on flat surface. foot off the gas.
    3. You can warm-up and charge (more) while going downhill. foot off the gas.

note: 1 & 2 can be interchanged depending on the SOC. If SOC is low (50% below), #1 will be more efficient than #2. If SOC is high (55% up), #2 will be more efficient than #1.