1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions About Programming Key Fobs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul_G, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Prius

I have a working key fob.... works with the SKS stuff and it locks/unlocks the doors fine... works as it should. I bought 2 used OEM silver logo FOBs. Doing part 1 of the Chicken Dance routine, I was able to get both of them to start the car with the FOB in the slot. However when I do part 2, I get all the way to the end when you press & hold the lock button and the locks are supposed to lock/unlock once indicating that it's been successfully done.... and they lock/unlock twice which seems to indicate that the programming has failed. I've done it a dozen times... same thing. I bought a new shell, did the transplant surgery (both the chip and board), cleaned off the board with a Q-tip... and I get the same thing.... lock/unlock twice.... fail.

I've read that a possible problem is that there can only be 4 FOBs programmed to a car. And that if there are 4, someone with one of those programming gizmos needs to do their thing to clear out all 4 keys, add the original and then I'll be able to add another key.

My questions are.... is there a way that I can find out how many keys are programmed to my car? And is there another way that I can clear any other keys from the car? Is there some other way I can program these FOBs? Does anyone have any suggestions? If Rob happens to see this, I have a feeling you'll say that someone with a programming gizmo will need to clear out the memory and start over.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doesn't that thread also discuss that a used FOB from another car will never be able to be programmed for full function using the chicken dance? I thought I remembered that discussion taking place, but I may be wrong.

I believe there are some places that claim to be able to "virginize" a used FOB, but I've never looked into it.

Techstream can tell you how many keys are registered to the car. SKS cars can have 5. Non-sks cars can have 4.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Revirginizing is definitely a thing for Gen 3 fobs. I have a Gen 2 fob sitting here, and a while back I contacted one of the revirginizing outfits and said "hey, do you think you could do one of these?" and they said probably, send it in, we'll see, and then I've never gotten around to it.

4. Mrs.Diamond

Mrs.Diamond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Who was the seller?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember right, the last time I asked myself that question, their website seemed to have gone away. :(

6. Mrs.Diamond

Mrs.Diamond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Darn